My Newly Built Zen Open Baffle Speakers

tlarwa

My Newly Built Zen Open Baffle Speakers
« on: 15 Nov 2014, 03:02 pm »
Thought I'd share my first OB build.  These are built from Decware's plans, and utilize the TB W8-1808 drivers.  If you aren't familar with the design, Steve Deckert has a series of white papers written on their development on the Decware site:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZOB.html

The cabinets are 3/4" MDF, all glued, and finished gloss black.  The baffles are 6/4 hard sugar maple butcher block.  I rounded the back edges of the driver cutouts, but still need to flush mount the drivers.  I have to find a 3/4" rabbet bit for my router first!  The baffles aren't finished yet.  Still trying to decide whether to stain them, or just darken them up with amber shellac.

I listened to them for the first time last night.  Kind of Blue sounded kind of amazing  :D I'm supporting the low end with my Klipsch SW-10 for now.  I'm going to carry my Audio Adire Rava sealed sub into the listening room today.  It should do a better job.  I'm considering a pair of 15" H-frame OB subs, but am not sure I have the room if they need to be into the room a ways to maximize their effectiveness.  I still need to learn more about placement with those.  The ZOB's are currently set up 35" from the back wall and 24" from the side walls, with a slight toe-in.  They're 7' apart, and my listening position is 7' back.  I'll continue to play with the set-up.

Anyway, here are some pics:

« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2014, 06:11 pm by tlarwa »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: My Newly Built Zen Open Baffle Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2014, 03:34 pm »
Nice looking build.  :thumb:

If you can pull them out a little further you will be rewarded.
FWIW and in case you haven't figured it out yet, the lower frequencies with these are more box like than OB.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2014, 04:24 pm »
Looks great... :thumb:

tlarwa

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2014, 06:10 pm »
Nice looking build.  :thumb:

If you can pull them out a little further you will be rewarded.
FWIW and in case you haven't figured it out yet, the lower frequencies with these are more box like than OB.

I can probably pull them out another 6" without them looking too obtrusive.  I'll give it a try.  I have read that a box sub will blend well with this design, that's why I'll try the Rava.  I was considering the H-frames only because I've read good things about the OB bass sound.  I've personally not heard any though.

undertow

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2014, 03:58 pm »
How are the High's on these?

Do you feel the need for a tweeter at all?

Thanks

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:10 pm »
I have always like these drivers for some reason.  I know they have really high end slope, but I was wondering if anyone has made an XO that has tamed them.  How low do we think they can go in a regular sized OB-not four feet across.   What is in the box below.  Not sure how this design works? 

JP
Beautiful speakers ..   

tlarwa

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2014, 08:23 pm »
No need for a tweeter at all, in my opinion.  On music without a deep bass line, they sound terrific.  Classic rock needs some low end help, that's why I'm investigating the optimal sub set-up right now. 

There box is a resonance chamber, and there are a series of slots below the driver that enable the output from the driver to get into the chamber.  You can read all about it on the Decware site.  There are 5 white papers that detail the speaker's development.  I'm happy with them overall, but coming from a pair of Klipsch Forte II's I definitely miss the bass output on some music.  That said, on most jazz,,which I listen to a lot, the speakers sound wonderful.  Imaging is dead on and the soundstage is good. I'm still playing with room position, which should help grow the soundstage. 

undertow

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2014, 08:30 pm »
No doubt you need a sub supplementing down under. I was just more interested in the results up top.

Do you have any type of cutoff using an inductor or anything, or just full blown crossoverless?

tlarwa

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:32 pm »
Full-blown crossover-less.  The W8's are running full range, and I curently have my sub crossed over at ~80Hz.