Best vintage receiver with phono input for $200 or less

pinkfloyd4ever

Not sure if this is best to put here or in the Vintage Circle, but anyway... I'm looking for a vintage 2 channel receiver for my living room. I'll be using it with my Technics SL-DD33 turntable, a DIY DAC I built, and occasionally for listening to the good ol' FM radio. My speakers are a pair of Insignia NS-B2111s, with the possibility of the newest Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors (or the old Pioneer Andrew Jones based ones if I can find a used pair) in the future. What are my best options?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Best vintage receiver with phono input for $200 or less
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2015, 08:55 pm »
For $200 or less just buy a name brand old receiver. Pioneer, Sherwood, Kenwood, etc.  They will all have old capacitors that may go at any time. 
Or spend $3 on this amp from China and pick up a phono stage... probably get better sound.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA7297-Version-B-2-15W-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-Board-Dual-Channel-AC-DC-12V-BX-/251670062521?hash=item3a98b465b9:g:KmEAAOSwEppUM3J0

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:30 am »
How about a NAD 3020b?  Good phono section, great amplifier.  There's no tuner and you most likely have to have it recapped, but they go for about $100 and another hundred to freshen up, and you have a classic for $200.

PMAT

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:43 am »
https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/5337160194.html
Carver MXR 6200 $60 plus recap with good phono and tuner. 100 watts too.

Markvdv

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:06 am »
very vintage I know, doesn't need recap and comes with speakers and cd too and probably all kind of modern connections next to phono :) (reviews say $1000 mrsp is a little much)
http://www.harmankardon.com/stereo-amplifiers/MAS+COMPONENTS.html?cgid=stereo-amplifiers&dwvar_MAS%20COMPONENTS_color=Black#start=1

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2015, 12:56 pm »
very vintage I know, doesn't need recap and comes with speakers and cd too and probably all kind of modern connections next to phono :) (reviews say $1000 mrsp is a little much)
http://www.harmankardon.com/stereo-amplifiers/MAS+COMPONENTS.html?cgid=stereo-amplifiers&dwvar_MAS%20COMPONENTS_color=Black#start=1
That looks like a winner.  Around my area a recap for an old unit is closer to $200 than $100

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:15 pm »
I paid CDN$100 for my Yamaha RX-797 (minus the remote - I just use a Logitech).

Great unit, drove my Totem Model 1's fine.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:15 pm »
You are going about this backwards. Rather than trying to seek out a specific vintage unit, you should find the unit first from what is available to you, then ask here if it would work for your application.

The reason is, for one, you probably want to buy something that has not grabbed the attention of buyers who were not around when the gear was new. By way of example, the Technics SL-1200 is a great 'table but commands a premium price, while other tables of equivalent or even greater quality sell for a fraction of the price the popular unit sells for.

Another reason is opportunity. Maybe you have locally a late 70's Japanese receiver for sale @ $20 ... just buy it. So check out the second hand shops you have, read some classifieds, shop some yard sales. Maybe you end up with something you eventually replace with a different unit within your budget ... donate your $20 unit and carry on.

There is an issue with simply saying a certain brand will be fine ... a 1978 vintage JVC receiver might be a good unit, while the worst sounding receiver I ever heard was late 80's "computer controlled" jVC receiver a friend somehow ended up with (and it was expensive new, with a 4-figure MSRP). Look around and post here with specifics and sooner or later you will end up with a nice unit at low cost that will serve you well for years to come.

Budget for a FM antenna ... in attic/rooftop, or one of these indoors [Magnum-Dynalab Silver Ribbon $35; Magnum-Dynalab ST-2 $100]. A good antenna on a crappy FM tuner outperforms the world's best FM tuner with a crappy antenna every single time, no exceptions. Do not get an amplified antenna.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:02 pm »
The problem with some of these smaller ones is that I need to set my turntable on top of it.

I like your thoughts Johnny2Bad.

What do you all think of these options? https://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/ela?query=vintage+receiver

There's also this 2215B I may be able to talk him down to $250 on, which I could stretch to if you guys think it's worth that https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/5335611032.html It's definitely in nice condition cosmetically

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:54 pm »
Forgot to mention, while I have done plenty of DIY and am not afraid of replacing caps or other components, I’m looking for this as a family Christmas present for the living room and I won’t have time to do any electronic surgery before Christmas.

So I need one that’s plug and play ready.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:00 pm »
There are a couple NAD units listed and I bet more come around.  A great AB set up with pretty good tuners and some have MM MC phono.  Might have to wait but a popular Name.  I keep a 7200 in the closet for now but 25 plus years of service.

Alan

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:26 pm »
How about a NAD 3020b?  Good phono section, great amplifier.  There's no tuner and you most likely have to have it recapped, but they go for about $100 and another hundred to freshen up, and you have a classic for $200.

I second the NAD 3020. I actually have a minty (and recapped) 3020B I keep around as a backup. Very understated amp that does A LOT of things right. The preamp section is very good and it's hard to fault the phono section. Quite stout for just 20 wpc and darn near indestructible too. It is stable into 2 ohms. :o

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:12 pm »
So against everything you guys said, I traded a HK Citation 12 Deluxe I had collecting dust in the basement to a local guy in exchange for a very nice Marantz 2215B. He even threw in a universal Marantz wood case he had! I just need my brother-in-law to modify the wood case slightly for it to the receiver to fit it.

Anyway, it sounds awesome! Beautiful piece too. My wife would've murdered me if I'd gotten the NAD, as all she cares about is looks and this is displayed prominently in the living room...and let's be honest, looks are not the NAD's strong suit.

I was afraid the 2215b wouldn't be enough power but it's way more than enough to fill our small house with beautiful sound. I think I may need a new cartridge for the TT though.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:49 pm »
WAF changes EVERYTHING! :icon_lol:
Old Marantz receivers will always look great. Classic. They're well built and easily repaired, unlike much of today's throw-away electronic junk.
They can be a bit over warm and rich sounding, but that can be a great thing in a family room system where source material of varying quality (including maybe mp3's and streaming from a cell phone) may be played. I'm sure the family will get a lot of fun and enjoyment out of it. :D

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2015, 08:18 pm »
I agree about old Marantz Receivers - if you can find one a 2216B or 2285B.  A Sony 7065 is probably good too.

Phil A

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2015, 08:20 pm »
Here's a search for the Sony (you can do the same with any other suggestions above or below) - http://www.adhuntr.com/p/results.html?ie=UTF-8&q=str-7065&x=0&y=0&min=&max=&l=all&c=all&t=&p=

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2015, 09:06 pm »
look for an Advent model 300. Great phono section

RDavidson

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2015, 10:44 pm »
He has the 2215B in house now, per Reply #12

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2015, 09:58 pm »
I do! Here it is in all its modest glory..

Still obsessed with it!