D Sonic Amps with Magnepan 1.7

Pirate

D Sonic Amps with Magnepan 1.7
« on: 29 Nov 2015, 02:10 am »
Recently I added Magnepan 1.7 with “my stands” to my system and I really like what I am hearing.   I now have the upgrade bug and would like to go further to see what I can do with these.

My current system is Modwright SWL9se preamp, Odyssey Stratos Stereo Extreme amp, DB audio labs tranquility DAC with a new Macbook air.

I was thinking of picking up some D Sonic M3 -1500 mono amps to replace my Odyssey Stereo Extreme and possibly pick up an Audio Research preamp maybe a reference 3 down the road.  I have not seen or read of any body with this combination before .  Does anyone have experience with this combination or see any red flags I should be aware of?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: D Sonic Amps with Magnepan 1.7
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2015, 08:44 am »
No experience but you've got 30 days to try the amps out. 
I know the Ref 3 preamp is really good.

Pirate

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2015, 02:55 am »
Thanks Steve,

The 1.7s are really, really good. Big open and the most realistic sounding speakers I have had to date. The Odyssey is getting much warmer than before so she is definitely working harder to keep up but still sounds pretty good.  I think replacing the Odyssey with D sonic Monos to start would help with details at lower volume and a little more bass in the bottom. The D Sonics are somewhat more affordable than the Big Boy names too. The Audio Research preamp would come later down the line. I just hope the D sonic / Audio research combo will have the synergy I think it will?

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:03 am »
Thanks Steve,

The 1.7s are really, really good. Big open and the most realistic sounding speakers I have had to date. The Odyssey is getting much warmer than before so she is definitely working harder to keep up but still sounds pretty good.  I think replacing the Odyssey with D sonic Monos to start would help with details at lower volume and a little more bass in the bottom. The D Sonics are somewhat more affordable than the Big Boy names too. The Audio Research preamp would come later down the line. I just hope the D sonic / Audio research combo will have the synergy I think it will?
No experience with the combo here either, but I have owned several Odyssey pieces over the years.
Have you talked to Klaus about re-biasing the amp to match the 1.7's, and possibly some upgrading towards Kismet internals?
What about converting the existing amp to mono (easy change) and buying a second one to match?
Klaus can make all of that happen and more without breaking the bank. It's what he does, just sayin' ;-)

jtsnead

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2015, 12:39 am »
Using a ls17se with dsonic m3 800m amps...the best sound i have heard with my speakers

Pirate

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:39 am »
No experience with the combo here either, but I have owned several Odyssey pieces over the years.
Have you talked to Klaus about re-biasing the amp to match the 1.7's, and possibly some upgrading towards Kismet internals?
What about converting the existing amp to mono (easy change) and buying a second one to match?
Klaus can make all of that happen and more without breaking the bank. It's what he does, just sayin' ;-)
Hi TomS
I like your way of thinking  :thumb: but everything I have read says the Magnepans likes power to make them reach their full potential. The D Sonic monos are rated at 1500 watts into 8 ohm . If they are as good as I think they are I should have no problem upsizing from 1.7 to 3.7 at a later date.

Pirate

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:51 am »
Using a ls17se with dsonic m3 800m amps...the best sound i have heard with my speakers

jtsnead

Am I glad to hear from you  :eyebrows: .  Audio Research with the D-Sonic amps and no issues I take it?  Would you be able to answer a couple questions? Did you start with the LS17se or the D Sonic Amps?  How would you describe the D Sonic amps with and without the LS17se?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:56 am »
I should mention that as you go up the ladder in the Magnepan line up you don't necessarily need more power.
What you need is better quality components as they'll show up the weakest link due to their increased resolution.

Pirate

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2015, 05:28 am »
Oh boy now Ive done it. I have yet to play around with the 1.7s and I am already thinking about a speaker upgrade too   :slap: I must be sick.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2015, 07:38 am »
You'll fit in just fine here. :D

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2015, 12:42 pm »
Indeed.  Speaker upgrades are welcome here.   :lol:

I lasted a week with the MMG's before picking up a local set of 1.6's.  I will keep believing that my room is too small for anything bigger....

Have fun!

cityjim

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2015, 08:51 am »
 Try some real class A amps. Preferably with tubes all around.

Also is there some unwritten rule NOT to use the same brand preamp with the same brand amp/s? No wonder people always trade gear, looking for the magic.

cityjim