Captain America: The Winter Soldier

wushuliu

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
« on: 19 Apr 2014, 05:57 am »
What an awesome can of whoopass. I have to hand it to Marvel they have accomplished something never before done for film. They have successfully created a complete universe across multiple films while also creating standalone stories that are *expertly* told. I am not a comic book fan. Did not read them as a kid. I don't have anything invested in the Marvel films other than getting my money's worth.

And damn if they don't give it to you with CA:TWS. I actually think Chris Evans' performance as CA is the BEST of the Marvel performances by far - yes, even better than RDJ as Iron Man. Captain America is a part that would be so easy to muck up, so easy to make cornball and hokey, but Evans takes the foundation he established with the first film and knocks it out the park in this one. He is the heart and soul of the movie and his performance is outstanding.

Hell ALL the performances are top notch. Scarlett Johannsen just gets better and better in every film I see her in. She owns the role of Black Widow and gives so much depth and nuance to the character in key moments that you just want to know everything about her. It's a beautiful thing to watch her relationship with CA because it's just real and no hyper sexual nonsense. In fact I'd use a word I would not have imagined associated with these films: complicated. These people are complicated. But not overly dramatic Nolan, brooding philisophical Wachowski or Tim Burton mental, etc. They're superheroes but they are still people and people are complicated. Marvel has nailed this dynamic and to have not only maintained it over multiple big budget films but also expand on it is nothing short of amazing.

Still on the fence about a talking Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy though. I'm going to need convincing on that one.

Pretty excited by the Strange name drop too. That should make for a trippy series.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2014, 06:23 am »
Agreed, I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Having multiple movies allows for much more meaningful banter/dialog and character development.  Loved that they played Cap straight.  Smart but not cynical.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2014, 06:58 am »
This is great news...I enjoyed the first one, but also felt it was dragging a bit at times. Previews for this one look amazing, so glad to hear is worth the price of admission. Also glad to see that Wushuliu actually found a film he LIKED  :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:49 pm »
Also glad to see that Wushuliu actually found a film he LIKED  :lol:

Yeah, might want to play the lotto tonight...

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:58 pm »
You could do what I do - work your way through the list of best movies of all time.  Here is a list of the top 50 along with links to where they can be streamed or rented - http://gowatchit.com/channels/sight-and-sound-magazine-the-greatest-films-of-all-time-2012

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2014, 09:42 pm »
You could do what I do - work your way through the list of best movies of all time.  Here is a list of the top 50 along with links to where they can be streamed or rented - http://gowatchit.com/channels/sight-and-sound-magazine-the-greatest-films-of-all-time-2012

I've seen about 36 of those, the other 14 I don't have as much interest in. Especially the french films. Not really a classic french film fan. And 3 Tarkovskys but no David Lean? Ouch, that's just wrong.

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2014, 02:03 am »
One other list I use is this one, which is more American based - http://www.filmsite.org/momentsindx.html

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2014, 11:13 pm »
Just watched this yesterday and walked out of the theater kinda "meh".  The first CA felt "fresh" both as an origin story and the WWII setting.  With this one, even though the overall theme of abuse of power vs security and trying to focus a bit more on character is good, I can't help feeling that the overall "insiders are now outsiders fighting for their lives and against their former organization" is a bit cliche and has been done by too many franchises (from GI Joe to Transformers, James Bond to Bourne movies, etc etc etc).

P.s. don't leave before the end of the credits if you want to get a teaser of what's coming in the next CA movie.....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2014, 07:04 am »
I loved the movie overall.  My one complaint is that Marvel seems to feel they must continually top the bombast of all previous movies. :duh:  Cap is not a character that requires $150M of CGI for every scene nor and adventures need not involve a trillion dollars in collateral damage in every outing.