Axpona 2016 - what you missed!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Axpona 2016 - what you missed!
« on: 20 Apr 2016, 04:54 pm »
Sorry I missed the show but work on some new projects kept me here. A mini-review:

"Tempesta Grande" This is a custom design for an Australian customer, think of a Tempesta on steroids. WMTMW format to be augmented with powered 15" Rhythmic audio subwoofers. Dual Scan-Speak Illuminator 7" woofers, Accuton ceramic dome mids, and a RAAL ribbon tweeter.

A dual 7.5" 3-way with SB Acoustics Satori woofers (Jim and Dennis like one but two of them is even better), Satori 5" mid, and a Scan-Speak Beryllium dome or ribbon tweeter (your choice - cannot lose with either one).

A new twist on the Estremo, substituting the Accuton dome mid with an Audio Technology midrange.

Possibly another 2-way to follow the recent Transparente. By the way, the Transparente demo pair is available and in some ways it's as good or better than any other 2-way I've designed, some much more expensive. 45-day trial period is good for the demo set so you can audition them in your own space with no risk!

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Re: Axpona 2016 - what you missed!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:34 pm »
Pics or they didn't happen, Rick. (I realize these projects are ongong so at your convenience, of course.)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2016, 09:00 pm »
Rick,

Is the 5" mid the 5" midwoofer or the very new 5" midrange driver? What benefit is there to using the new 5" midrange driver that SB Acoustics has announced over the earlier 5" midwoofer?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2016, 05:37 am by mresseguie »

redskinsfan

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2016, 12:44 am »
Rick, curious as to the pricing on the Tempesta Grande project, as I had been considering a pair of Tempestas augmented with either TC12s or Fondaziones as mains for a future setup. Thanks!  8)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2016, 02:14 pm »
Pics or they didn't happen, Rick. (I realize these projects are ongong so at your convenience, of course.)

Oh they will happen; otherwise I would have some angry customers! :)

Pictures will be awhile as two are kit projects and the third involving custom cabinets.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2016, 05:36 pm »
Rick,

Is the 5" mid the 5" midwoofer or the very new 5" midrange driver? What benefit is there to using the new 5" midrange driver that SB Acoustics has announced over the earlier 5" midwoofer?

Midbass driver. I haven't tested the new mid so I cannot comment on how they compare. I will note that someone had compared the 7.5" Satori to the Scan-Speak Illuminator. In reality they are quite different though they do share a neo-based motor and very open rear frame assembly.

Garyh

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2016, 11:43 pm »
Hi Rick,
That's my Satori project.  I will do a build thread as I progress on them.  I look forward to getting started.
Regards
Gary

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2016, 02:58 am »
Rick, curious as to the pricing on the Tempesta Grande project, as I had been considering a pair of Tempestas augmented with either TC12s or Fondaziones as mains for a future setup. Thanks!  8)

$7,700/pr. (not including subs) shipped to the CUSA.

Pontus

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2016, 08:37 am »
Hi all!

Is it possible to get a pricing for the satori speaker with the beryllium dome as a kit? Is it sealed or bass reflex?

Have a great day
/Pontus

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2016, 02:08 pm »
Hi all!

Is it possible to get a pricing for the satori speaker with the beryllium dome as a kit? Is it sealed or bass reflex?

Have a great day
/Pontus

$1,700/pair for the kit including shipping to the CUSA. All you need to add are the cabinets and damping material. It's a ported design but a sealed option is possible if you plan on adding a subwoofer. I'm also working on a ported 5" 2-way using the Satori woofer along with the beryllium dome or a ribbon tweeter.

Pontus

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2016, 01:21 pm »
"$1,700/pair for the kit including shipping to the CUSA. All you need to add are the cabinets and damping material. It's a ported design but a sealed option is possible if you plan on adding a subwoofer. I'm also working on a ported 5" 2-way using the Satori woofer along with the beryllium dome or a ribbon tweeter."

Thanks for this Rick

If ok to ask - have you had a chance to compare ring radiator satori tweeter to the Beryllium one? My music taste is a large part 90's metal. Wouldn't want the tweeter to be too hot for some of the very bad recordings.

Thanks again

/Pontus