JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
Re: JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?
« Reply #140 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:36 am »
Here is something I did

In my opinion super results: mid bass, bottom bass no distortion. Clean, detail juicy sweet mid range. I have all that material just sleeping in basement, working on that for 30min and here you go. Still I prefere my DT 770 Pro, but for money they best I ever hear   

Cheers Ritchie   

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #141 on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:12 pm »
Great stuff.....I haven't opened mine up yet but after seeing this I may just do it......Thanks!!! :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #142 on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm »
Here is something I did
In my opinion super results: mid bass, bottom bass no distortion. Clean, detail juicy sweet mid range. I have all that material just sleeping in basement, working on that for 30min and here you go. Still I prefere my DT 770 Pro, but for money they best I ever hear   

Cheers Ritchie

Ritchie,

What are the materials in your pic's?

Chris

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #143 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:24 pm »
Chris,  I have use leather fabric with extra soft and puffed material in back. My son have school project and this fabric was leftover. The tape is something like tar material use on roofing repair. It's sticky and have super damping abilities. Twelve years ago we have in my work windows replace from wood frame to all metal frame. When the guy's installed metal windows they use this tar tape between windows frame and actual building brick.They say it's for noise, water and vibration protection. Also I see same material use on my modified Fostex 206ES drivers from http://www.planet10-hifi.com/. My son just text me from school that lot of kids like he's headphones and hands down like them better then any Beats by Dr. DRE. So, he ask me to do already same modification for he's two friends. And that was the point to get him involve. Anybody, who have sixteen years old kids know is not ease keep them interested  :icon_lol:

Ritchie   

rodge827

« Reply #144 on: 4 Feb 2013, 04:05 pm »
Ritchie,
Thanks for all of the info.
I guess the tar tape can be found at Home Depot and the soft backed leather can be found at Michaels?

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #145 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:03 pm »
I'm not sure abut tar tape, but you can see something like that in Roofing section in Home Depot and Michaels/AC More or any Fabric store for the leather.        Ritchie

charmerci

« Reply #146 on: 4 Feb 2013, 11:49 pm »
Ritchie,
Thanks for all of the info.
I guess the tar tape can be found at Home Depot and the soft backed leather can be found at Michaels?

It's not really necessary to get that fancy. Any sticky material to damp the plastic resonances is fine. These speakers are not vibrating with a large amount of force.

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #147 on: 5 Feb 2013, 12:30 am »
It's not really necessary to get that fancy. Any sticky material to damp the plastic resonances is fine. These speakers are not vibrating with a large amount of force.

I agree with you 100% but you don't need to be so COCKY about it. As i mention before that stuff was sleeping in my basement for a long time. That is why I used that and I just reported my thoughts, just in case somebody has some free material, like me.

charmerci

« Reply #148 on: 5 Feb 2013, 12:50 am »
I wasn't trying to act superior. Just saying to rodge that he didn't need to go searching everywhere for materials.

I mean, your mods look great.   :thumb:

Peace, man!  :green:
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2013, 01:52 am by charmerci »

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #149 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:32 am »
I wasn't trying to act superior. Just saying to rodge that he didn't need to go searching everywhere for materials.

I mean, your mods look great.   :thumb:

Peace, man!  :green:

No worries, everything is cool man :lol:

Ritchie

murphy11

« Reply #150 on: 5 Feb 2013, 02:21 pm »
I have read and will monitor this thread for other ideas that are shared. I aleady ordered the Brainwavz HM5 replacement pads and am checking delivery status on a daily basis :) They show as being in Hong Kong and I'm really looking forward to trying them out.
Ugghhh - anyone have experience with purchases from China? I can track the shipment to Singapore but Singapore shows it was turned over to USPS on 19th of last month. USPS shows they were notified of shipment but they don't have it and don't take possession in their system until they receive it in the US. Seems like there is a huge black hole between Singapore and US with neither party being able to track it. :(

I bought the pads from MP4nation.net where others posted they got the pads without problem so hopefully someone who has ordered from them can provide feedback.

lcrim

« Reply #151 on: 5 Feb 2013, 02:50 pm »

I received the HM5 earpads from MP4Nation ($17) yesterday.  Shipping from Hong Kong took almost 2 weeks. 
I've been using the double Q-tips mod and the tape mod but removed the Q-tips.  The pads do make the cans circumaural and help w/ comfort a great deal.  Spectacular isolation now.
Larry

Yes, shipping from Singapore is fairly slow and tedious but they do offer faster and more expensive shipping options but it doesn't make sense to spend that much. 
BTW: I have removed the tape mod and put the qtips back in.  I don't think I'll be doing the resonance prevention mods as I don't hear any resonance issues. All IMHO
Larry

murphy11

« Reply #152 on: 5 Feb 2013, 03:28 pm »
Larry, thanks for the feedack! I will try to be patient.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #153 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:14 pm »
I just got a package from Thailand, that was sent to me from the UK, yep a big oops as it went to Thailand 1st, for reasons unknown to me(no info on the package even mentioned Thailand except the notice that it went there by mistake - LOL )
I'm in Allentown/Bethlehem area and it took 2 months......LOL.....its a $11 leather ipod nano case-very nice though...hehehehee....man I was giving up.
 It will get there hopefully for you.

I've use any material that's laying around that's remotely applicable-when the mods are found to be very positive to me I then go back and revisit the materials if I want. But the only time I did that was with Grado mods that seriously mattered to me at the time...we got the latest vibration damping materials etc...it was fun but not cheap-my JVC's have toilet paper rolled up under each ear cup and it sounds good to me. I don't hear to much resonance that bothers me or is noticeable to me but everybody hears differently. The idea is the same the cool part is trying different stuff to what others try to see if it improves the sound or not. Carry on my friends, keep the ideas coming.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #154 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:45 pm »
that stuff was sleeping in my basement for a long time. That is why I used that and I just reported my thoughts, just in case somebody has some free material, like me.

Great Mods!  Now to the basement!
Crap we don't have basements in Nor Cal. 

I like your style.  Its like making a meal only with what is in the fridge. 
Sometimes it is a masterpiece. 

Thanks Ritchie

charmerci

« Reply #155 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:17 pm »

Thanks Ritchie

Yeah well, just try to dig yourself out of that situation, buddy. Good luck! :roll:

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #156 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:41 pm »

I like your style.  Its like making a meal only with what is in the fridge. 
Sometimes it is a masterpiece. 

Thanks Ritchie

Right on, thanks. I just catch my self snatch headphones from my son and give nice two hours session yesterday. They sound very nice.   :D
I have one guy from over see ask me in PM if I can send him left overs materials. As I mention before I like my son do the project for he's friends but it is possible that I will be look around for more of "magical stuff" and then send this anybody who wants proses this modification

Ritchie

murphy11

« Reply #157 on: 6 Feb 2013, 07:57 pm »
So I got my HM5 pads today from MP4nation and they are SO much more comfortable than stock pads. It took about 3 weeks from order date to delivery to Philly so plan accordingly if you buy these pads.

Larry or anyone else who has these pads how do you have them attached and if you had the Qtip mod did you leave them in or did you take them out after adding the new pads. Right now I have the Qtip mod and the new pads over the old pads. Haven't listened enough to determine changes but they are worth the price to me for the comfort alone.

EDIT: I see in Larrys pic that he removed the Qtip mods and has\had the new pads over the old ones. If that is still true, Larry what difference did you find between leaving the Qtip mods in vs. taking them out?

lcrim

« Reply #158 on: 7 Feb 2013, 07:08 am »
murphy11:
I've taken the q-tips out and then put them back in w/ the HM5 pads.  I also removed the tape mod as that seemed to change things for the worse.  At least for now, I'm  pleased w/ the HM5 pads over the stock pads along w/ the q-tips mod which does seem to focus the sound better.  The tape mod may have left behind some effect but I like the sound better w/o all the holes filled.
Larry