Bellina Pro - a couple of questions + opinions wanted

meraklya

Hello,

I was planning to get a Metrum Hex NOS DAC soon, but the Bellina Pro came on the radar.

Just wondering if the 16-bit (non-Wolfson) part in the Bellina Pro is a true NOS DAC as in no oversampling, upsampling or filtering of any kind whatsoever. Furthermore, is the Integer mode capability available when the 16 bit part is selected with the flip switch? (as opposed to only being available for the Wolfson chip).

Any owners here who have heard other NOS DACs.... how does the Bellina in NOS mode compare to them?

The Bellina PRO appears to meet all of my requirements other than not having balanced outputs.

Regardless of anything else.... dear owners... how do you like its sound..!

Any comments / opinions welcome!

demodisc9

Re: Bellina Pro - a couple of questions + opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2013, 01:03 am »
I too am interested in the Bellina Pro DAC and feedback from current users would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2013, 03:15 pm »
Hello,

I was planning to get a Metrum Hex NOS DAC soon, but the Bellina Pro came on the radar.

Just wondering if the 16-bit (non-Wolfson) part in the Bellina Pro is a true NOS DAC as in no oversampling, upsampling or filtering of any kind whatsoever. Furthermore, is the Integer mode capability available when the 16 bit part is selected with the flip switch? (as opposed to only being available for the Wolfson chip).

Any owners here who have heard other NOS DACs.... how does the Bellina in NOS mode compare to them?

The Bellina PRO appears to meet all of my requirements other than not having balanced outputs.

Regardless of anything else.... dear owners... how do you like its sound..!

Any comments / opinions welcome!

Hi meraklya and demodisc9,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

Yes, the 16-bit NOS chip is true NOS with NO upsampling, oversampling, digital filtering, etc. 

Yes, integer mode USB is compatible with the 16-bit NOS chip as well. 

I know, I know .... I need to send some units out for review at some point  :oops:   :wink:

But if you've read the Isabellina reviews (especially the Isabellina LFP-V, and the Isabellina HPA LFP-V applies as well),
then start there, add even more openness, improved speed and dynamics, but without changing the seductive
midrange and delicate, grain-free top-end response..... then you have the Bellina.

Hopefully Bellina / Bellina HPA users will post their impressions, as mine are just a tad biased.  :green:

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2013, 09:30 pm »
I have the Pro in an HPA upgraded to Renaissance Edition internal circuit boards (RE guts with LFP-V black casing). I like having the choice of two DACs, but will admit that almost all listening is on NOS. I moved from a balanced Wadia rig a few years back to RWA DAC / electronics. I always assumed that all things equal balanced was the way to go. But when Vinnie takes his gear off the grid and then throws in a tube for sonic flavor, how can all things be equal?

If all else fails RWA has a pretty liberal in home / return policy, very generous warranty and great track record for offering upgrades when possible.

Just my 2 cents.

meraklya

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2013, 03:01 am »
Vinnie,

"No DAC comes closer to the warm, natural sound of vinyl records. None."

I am not doubting you, but I'd be really interested to know which other DACs you compared the Bellina with when you drew that conclusion.

As far as maintenance... How long should the battery last before it needs to be replaced... and roughly how much does a replacement battery cost?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2013, 12:02 am »
Hi meraklya,

I've heard many, but certainly not every dac out there.  I probably should rephrase that on the website so it doesn't sound like
I've heard every one.  :wink:

As far as maintenance... How long should the battery last before it needs to be replaced... and roughly how much does a replacement battery cost?

Our LiFePO4 pack is rated for over 2,000 cycles, so expect many years of use before needing to be replaced.  Replacement packs are $250, and they are user replaceable.

All the best,

Vinnie

meraklya

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2013, 02:32 pm »
Thank you kindly for your answers, Vinnie!

Come on, guys... any owners out there willing to share their impressions of the new Bellina Pro DAC? :)

quattro100

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2013, 01:34 pm »
Hi guys, just thought that I should contribute a little to the community given how much I learn from the forum.  I have recently received my Bellina Pro HPA with balance out option and thus would like to share some initial impression.   

For me, given my background in classical music training for years, music is never 'technical' but more emotional. I have not invested much into digital music up to now as to me, most of the equipment sound rather 'digital' to me. I really enjoy the 'different' natural harmonic distortion from instruments/environment/recording, it adds a tone of 'air' into the record playback (I can felt/imagine I am actually at the hall). Given my preference, the ultra high resolution HD recordings and DAC really doesn't excite me much.

This is where the RWA Bellina comes in. Upon the first time I audit the Isabellina DAC (Only got to the older Isabellina as the dealer in my country doesn't have the Bellina), i knew this is the DAC/HPA I was looking for. The NOS DAC, resembles the old vinyl/ CD I used to listen to everyday for years during my training. It is smooth, warmth and adds a great stage to the music. I think you really need to use a great remastered lossless Concerto to witness this. (Pop, and Jazz are great too, just less dramatic for me.)  I use both the LCD 2.2 and the HD800 (90% time with LCD) for my listening. On the LCD 2.2, the bass are well controlled and while mid/treble had a pretty clear extension compare to my mobile gear (DX 50 + ALO international).   

The whole package comes in a very classy wood casing. Fit and fitness are 1st class and I just love the fact that I can use it without connect to the AC. Having the HPA option really makes this a great deal as I don't have much appetite to have multiple machines, interconnects to test. Everything fits nicely in one box. You plug and you play.  I even got Vinnie to install the recommended Amperex PQ 8416 in it before shipping.

Last but not least, I really appreciate the 10 years warranty and the trade in policy. I still don't understand why most other vendor provides a rather short 1-3 year warranty on high-end gears, isn't that just a vote of non-confidence to their own craft-manship?

Anyway, this is the first time I post and I have only listened to it for 25 hours (basically the whole weekend since I received it.   Highly recommended for those of you would love to experience back vinyl, live like music. The only downside is probably cost and for some ppl the lack of balance amp output.   It is not cheap but I think it offers great value for the long enjoyment it brings.  I plan to use it as a DAC only in the future when I moved up to full size speakers.

Thank you

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2013, 01:14 pm by quattro100 »

harbapapa

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2013, 07:37 am »
I bought Bellina Pro last summer and I have been very happy with it. I have cd-transport and computer (usb) connected to it. Windows asio driver works without problems. I must say that I am a "Hires" -guy, so I use pro-dac most of the time. I just enjoy more of modern (good) recordings with good dynamics and treble clarity. I swapped tube to NOS Telefunken and it refined dacs sound even more... Great dac for female vocals. It just gives it more honey sweetness...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2013, 05:53 pm »
Hi quattro100 and harbapapa,

Welcome to the RWA forum, and thank you for your posting your Bellina Pro / HPA impressions. 

All,

The Bellina HPA also has a variable RCA output option (if you want to use it as a preamp to feed a home audio
power amp).  I tried it the other day with a Signature 57 power amp that I made for a customer who already
had a preamp.  It sounded fantastic!

Happy New Year!

Vinnie