Bellina / Bellina HPA

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Bellina / Bellina HPA
« on: 22 Jan 2013, 11:37 pm »
Another new component to our Renaissance Edition (RE) line-up is the Bellina dac, and Bellina HPA (dac + headphone amp).

The Bellina dac is offered using our standard 16-bit, NOS dac (with USB, coax and optical input) followed by our RE tube output stage. 

The PRO version also has our high-resolution Wolfson chip, Async, Integer-mode USB input for files up to 24/192k (also up to 24/192k for coax and optical).  No drivers needed for MAC.  We offer a driver for Windows users. 

Improved voltage regulation feeds the Bellina board for an even blacker background, and 10x the rail capacitance for improved
dynamics.  This is our finest dac solution to date!

The Bellina HPA adds our single-ended headphone stage, and/or balanced headphone stage.  RCA outputs can be fixed-level, or remote volume controlled (variable). 

As with the Signature 16, the Bellina/Bellina HPA feature our new enclosure design, power select switch, aluminum remote, new tube stage, and 10 year warranty!

Upgrades (partial and full) for the Isabellina dac and Isabellina HPA are available - email me for a price quote and lead-time.

Bellina HPA in walnut, show with remote volume control and single-ended headphone output stage

All the best,

Vinnie

carrda

Re: Bellina / Bellina HPA
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:52 am »
Where is the Windows driver located?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2013, 02:18 pm »
Hi carrda,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum.

Please email me to obtain the windows driver.  We'll try to get this on our site for uploading soon...

Thank you,

Vinnie

Merkel 2016

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2013, 12:39 am »
I am excited about trading in my Corvina for the Bellina HPA (thanks for the trade-in policy, Vinnie!). I'd be interested to know others' impressions, especially regarding tubes-- I like the Miniwatt Dario in the Corvina-- and regarding anybody's listening impressions using LCD 2 or 3 and Fostex TH900.

talk2me

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2014, 12:15 am »
I wonder how the Bellina HPA Pro would sound with a good blu-ray player for movies with headphones like the Byerdynamic TP5?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2014, 06:02 pm »
Hi talk2me,

When Steve Guttenberg reviewed the previous model (Isabellina HPA), he mentioned King Kong:

In my home theater, the Isabellina/LCD-2 combination sounded as close to 3D/surround as I've heard, without employing special processing. That is, with some movies, like "King Kong," the sounds of jungle birds and giant insects appeared to come from far outside the LCD-2's earcups.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20033341-47.html

Regarding headphones in the price range of the T5Ps, this thread on headfi is well written and I tend to agree with a lot of it based on many
of the headphones I have either owned or heard over the years at the NYC HeadFi biannual meets:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

talk2me

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2014, 05:51 pm »
Hi talk2me,

When Steve Guttenberg reviewed the previous model (Isabellina HPA), he mentioned King Kong:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20033341-47.html

Regarding headphones in the price range of the T5Ps, this thread on headfi is well written and I tend to agree with a lot of it based on many
of the headphones I have either owned or heard over the years at the NYC HeadFi biannual meets:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie. That article by Steve is one of the reasons I first got interested in the Bellina's pedigree.

viggen

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2014, 06:04 am »

I am assuming each wood fascia is unique.  So, I have to assume the unit I recently acquired via audiogon has to be the same unit used for the photo shoot.  The wood grain on both units are too resembling.   :wink:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2014, 01:44 am »

I am assuming each wood fascia is unique.  So, I have to assume the unit I recently acquired via audiogon has to be the same unit used for the photo shoot.  The wood grain on both units are too resembling.   :wink:

Hi Viggen,

Yes, sir!  You are correct.  Nice find!  :thumb:

How's it sounding?

Vinnie

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:40 am »
Hi Viggen,

Yes, sir!  You are correct.  Nice find!  :thumb:

How's it sounding?

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie:

I got 2 days worth of listening/play repeating with the JJ tubes, and the combined dac/amp is 2 or 3 steps better than my original setup of audiosector usbdac/kora crescendo/greatech muvac.  The background silence (off the grid goodness) is the first improvement. 

The LCD2 changed a bit from melancholic to a more lively presentation which is unexpected.  I thought the NOS DAC with tube output combo would yield a warmer darker presentation.  Instead, the Bellina pushed the LCD2 towards a more neutral presentation.

A head-fier asked me to compare the LCD2 to Beyer DT990 Pro.  I had shelved the 990 and ready to ship it back to amazon because the bass is too floppy and the highs too sibilant.  The 990/Bellina sound is not only more balanced in that the flop and sibilance is gone, but now I can enjoy 990's more exuberant presentation. 

A comment I made then but not sure I still hold is that had I purchased the Bellina before the LCD2, I probably would have been happy enough with the 990 and not have purchased the LCD2.  After more listening, I do perceive the LCD2 still beats the Beyer in terms of resolution and longer term listening.  The perceived value difference between LCD2 and 990 diminished with the Bellina addition though.

Also, I have the DT880 600ohm.  Without Bellina, 880 is already a midrange champ with smooth mids and balanced sound though losing out to the 990 in soundstage size which is not necessarily a bad thing.  With Bellina, the 880's character is increased rather than decreased compared to the other two phones.  880's mids become thicker slightly wetter. 

My next experiment was to use the Bellina as DAC only feeding it to the Kora Crescendo then to Greatech muVac.  The muVac has speaker tap to headphone leads.  The drive, resolution and air further improved.  This is not good news because I wanted to move the muVac off my desk and to sell the Kora to fund the Bellina.  Now, it's hard to break trio up.

Adding the Kora into the mix improved the sound greatly.  I like the headphone out equally via Bellina or muVac. Connecting Bellina directly to muVac amp yielded a more dynamic-edgier presentation.   Bellina's headphone out has a more finesse presentation.  So, my conclusion is the Kora mixing really well with the Bellina.

The next experiment is ordering some NOS tubes from Kevin/Upscale.  Got a Telefunken PCC88 and a Ediswan 5358.  I just received the package today and plugged in the Telefunken no more than 30 minutes ago.  Without any/much burn in, the sound is already better compared to when JJ tube was plugged in.  The sound hasn't changed since I started typing.  So, things can change later on.  I can't say to how the Telefunken added to the sound but there's less "analyticalness" as overall sound is a bit more liquid.

I just went back to Upscale's website to re-read Kevin's description for the tube: "Smooth highs that maintain extension without being bright, with great detail and texture in the mids.".  He's spot on.  According to description, Ediswan's supposed to have better mids, "Stunning midrange texture while maintaining top and bottom end extension."

So, Vinnie, thank you for making a fantastic product and for helping me getting started with the Bellina as you've responded to my emails very very quickly.  Really appreciate it.  Think Bellina will be a keeper and perhaps will add balanced output down the road (but that means I can't keep the wood fascia that is now famously adorning your website).

Question.  There's 3 lights by the power knob.  What's the right one for?  I've never seen it go on.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2014, 02:24 pm »
Hi Viggen,

Thanks for your post!

After more listening, I do perceive the LCD2 still beats the Beyer in terms of resolution and longer term listening.  The perceived value difference between LCD2 and 990 diminished with the Bellina addition though.

I found something similar with the HD650s with Bellina HPA (balanced output stage) vs. LCD2.  LCD2 wins overall, but they were very close in this configuration and the HD650 can be had under $400 online...

Adding the Kora into the mix improved the sound greatly.  I like the headphone out equally via Bellina or muVac. Connecting Bellina directly to muVac amp yielded a more dynamic-edgier presentation.   Bellina's headphone out has a more finesse presentation.  So, my conclusion is the Kora mixing really well with the Bellina.

The Bellina dac combined with a good preamp is hard to beat in many areas.  I think this is why most of our Isabella preamp customers go with the Bellina dac option and never look back.  I"m glad the Bellina is a good match for your Kora.

So, Vinnie, thank you for making a fantastic product and for helping me getting started with the Bellina as you've responded to my emails very very quickly.  Really appreciate it.  Think Bellina will be a keeper and perhaps will add balanced output down the road (but that means I can't keep the wood fascia that is now famously adorning your website).

Thank you - and glad I was able to point you in the right direction.  If you later go balanced output stage, I'll try to find a piece of walnut similar to yours.

Question.  There's 3 lights by the power knob.  What's the right one for?  I've never seen it go on.

Only the center one is an LED.  The 1st and 3rd are just markings in the wood to indicate the other knob positions.

Happy listening,

Vinnie

carrda

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2014, 06:43 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Is the Windows driver for Pro DAC available online now?  Also, previously the Windows driver didn't work with Windows 8--is there a new driver version that does work with Win8?

Thanks,

Dan

quote author=Vinnie R. link=topic=113471.msg1205338#msg1205338 date=1364221135]
Hi carrda,

Please email me to obtain the windows driver.  We'll try to get this on our site for uploading soon...

Thank you,

Vinnie
[/quote]

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2014, 12:39 am »
Hi Vinnie,

Is the Windows driver for Pro DAC available online now?  Also, previously the Windows driver didn't work with Windows 8--is there a new driver version that does work with Win8?

Thanks,

Dan

quote author=Vinnie R. link=topic=113471.msg1205338#msg1205338 date=1364221135]
Hi carrda,

Thank you,

Vinnie

Hi Dan,

Sorry it is not yet up on our site - I'm working on getting a new webmaster who can hopefully take care of that and refreshing the site in general.  In the meantime, please feel free to email me for the driver.

I have customers who have gotten it to work with Windows 8.  One of them told me "Bellina Pro driver works fine with Windows 8.1.  But you have to disable the driver signature and run in compatibility mode."

Hopefully you can try this and it will also work for you - it should!

Best regards,

Vinnie

embz

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2014, 07:24 pm »
I have the driver working on Windows 8.1 (previously with 8.0), here is a video on how to disable the driver signature enforcement.   If you have Windows 8, there are similar videos, the concept if the same, getting to the advance start up options is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmw86KplqmU

I'm using the SOtM tX-USBexp which has a USB 3.0 interface. So you should be OK with USB 2.0 & 3.0