BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #940 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:30 am »
I sent an email to support with my service ID hoping that someone would return to me to help upgrading firmware. Absolutly no response ... and also no response on my post from Feb 14th. Very disappointed with Bryston. Poor support.

Sorry, but I havn't seen a thing in my inbox

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #941 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:51 am »
I sent an email to support with my service ID hoping that someone would return to me to help upgrading firmware. Absolutly no response ... and also no response on my post from Feb 14th. Very disappointed with Bryston. Poor support.

James Tanner usually directs people to email Mike Picket @ Bryston directly. Mike's email is mpickett@bryston.com. I'd give that a try.

Bryston's customer service is usually some of the best in the business. I understand your frustration, but don't count them out just yet.

You can also try sending James a message via this forum. I see him logged in several times a day, and he's always been very prompt about answering messages.

- Garrett

Elemberg

« Reply #942 on: 19 Apr 2015, 01:05 pm »
Is it correct that the BDP-1 will only support DSD 64? Also are there plans to support higher rate DSD through the BDP-1 with a future firmware update?

Norton

« Reply #943 on: 20 Apr 2015, 06:02 pm »
Is it correct that the BDP-1 will only support DSD 64? Also are there plans to support higher rate DSD through the BDP-1 with a future firmware update?

My BDP 2 plays DSD 128 over USB.  I don't know for a fact, but can't imagine the BDP 1 would be any different providing it's running recent firmware.

stereoclub

« Reply #944 on: 20 Apr 2015, 06:22 pm »
More or less about Jitter:
Some say asynchronous USB transmission is better than AES or SPDIF for jitter rejection, as the clock relies on DAC exclusively. This raises some questions:
- connection between BDP1-USB and BDA-2 is asynchronous? So this means it would be the best way to have your digital files transmitted?
- you don't need BDP-2 for better quality, and the only reason for AES and SPDIF in BDP-2 is for compatibility with other non USB DAC's. If you have BDA-2 you don't need these interfaces and you are better with BDP-1USB in terms of quality
- why there is no BDP2-USB (with better power supply and huge library)? This would be the best player in a Bryston system with BDA-2...
- maybe a little out of topic, but then all the benefit which provides BUC-1 is lost when signal is transmitted SPDIF from BUC to other DAC?

James, please share some light on these aspects, thank you

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #945 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:34 pm »
More or less about Jitter:
Some say asynchronous USB transmission is better than AES or SPDIF for jitter rejection, as the clock relies on DAC exclusively. This raises some questions:
- connection between BDP1-USB and BDA-2 is asynchronous? So this means it would be the best way to have your digital files transmitted?
- you don't need BDP-2 for better quality, and the only reason for AES and SPDIF in BDP-2 is for compatibility with other non USB DAC's. If you have BDA-2 you don't need these interfaces and you are better with BDP-1USB in terms of quality
- why there is no BDP2-USB (with better power supply and huge library)? This would be the best player in a Bryston system with BDA-2...
- maybe a little out of topic, but then all the benefit which provides BUC-1 is lost when signal is transmitted SPDIF from BUC to other DAC?

James, please share some light on these aspects, thank you

Hi

There is still a lot of discussion abut which interface yields the most accurate digital signal transfer so I use the BDP-2 as it allows me to experiment with all 3 types.

james

stereoclub

« Reply #946 on: 21 Apr 2015, 09:53 am »
Thank you James, got the idea, seems to be an open discussion without conclusions yet.
Also related to USB, I have Chordette Qute EX USB DAC but BDP-2 doesn't recognise this device, doesn't appear in Audio Devices list as other USB DAC's do appear. Is there incompatibility with Chordette Qute EX?
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=91

Again, thanks for your reply.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #947 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:22 pm »
Thank you James, got the idea, seems to be an open discussion without conclusions yet.
Also related to USB, I have Chordette Qute EX USB DAC but BDP-2 doesn't recognise this device, doesn't appear in Audio Devices list as other USB DAC's do appear. Is there incompatibility with Chordette Qute EX?
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=91

Again, thanks for your reply.

Hi

We have not tested the Chordette but sounds like an incompatibility issue.

james

generichs

« Reply #948 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:08 am »
I know this happens often because I read a previous thread.  My BDP1 was affected by a black out.  I read a thread about how reconnection is possible by clicking the address button down arrow to get the previous BDP1 address.  That fixed the connection on both my laptops.  But I have not been able to get my desktop to find the BDP1 on the Manic Moose software or Gnome Music Player.

When I input bryston-bdp-1.local it will either default to a websearch or address; or time out. 

Gnome Music Player won't work on the desktop with bryston-bdp-1.local, but it works on both laptops.  There is obviously some software setting in my desktop which is preventing connection with the bdp1.  Am I missing something?

ttsto

« Reply #949 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:29 am »
replace bryston-bdp-1.local with actual ip address of the player in your browser;
you can set the IP address of BDP as static in the settings, so next time will not change
alternative, you can set up fixed IP address for BDP in your router

generichs

« Reply #950 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:35 pm »
Thanks for the response.  Where do I get the ip address of the player from?  I also have a problem where sometimes the BDP1 and other computers in the network don't display in the network map.  This happens often.

And now the BDP1 and NAS Drive show on the network map.  Maybe sometimes it just takes a long time to load.

ttsto

« Reply #951 on: 22 Apr 2015, 06:50 pm »
Push once down arrow from front plate of BDP1 to get the IP address
Booting time: my BDP1 is fully functional about 3 minutes. On front panel, second line, should display the square sign.

generichs

« Reply #952 on: 22 Apr 2015, 11:15 pm »
Have Manic Moose up and running.  Thanks.  I now know how to find my way to BDP1 if it drops off.

lycia

« Reply #953 on: 3 May 2015, 10:17 pm »
BDP-2   Audio Devices in MM

Nothing appears in Audio Devices in my BDP-2 (S2.11 2015-04-13  MPD 0.18.21) although two DACs are connected and working. The built-in Audio Device does not appear.

Any ideas?

generichs

« Reply #954 on: 4 May 2015, 01:24 am »
I was having this problem often.  It is related to the Local Master Browser setting.  If you are operating a NAS Drive, it is best to set the NAS Drive as the Local Master Browser.  If you are using a Synology NAS Drive the setting is located in Control Panel/File Services/Advanced Settings.  Enable Local Master Browser.

The problem arises if you operate a number of computers on a network.  The first computer that switches on becomes the Local Master Browser by default.  When that computer switches off, all devices on the network will disappear.  If you then switch it on the devices on the network will not reappear, unless you switch off/on all the other devices.

The best setting is to set the NAS Drive as Local Master Browser and leave it on.  It will go into idle when the computers are switched off, but as it is always on, all devices will appear on your network when you switch any computer on the network on.

lycia

« Reply #955 on: 4 May 2015, 01:53 am »
Thanks, but there is no NAS involved and only one computer.

MoPac

« Reply #956 on: 5 May 2015, 05:05 pm »
Hi Chris:   ( BDP-2 with latest update )
 Would like to try USB out to a PS Audio PWD II.  Do I plug it in "hot" or must both the player and DAC be powered down first.

Thanks, Rich

generichs

« Reply #957 on: 6 May 2015, 04:53 am »
I don't think it matters.  I usually simply put pre-amp on mute.  I keep USB permanently plugged in and use the input selector for different inputs.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #958 on: 7 May 2015, 01:10 am »
Hi Chris:   ( BDP-2 with latest update )
 Would like to try USB out to a PS Audio PWD II.  Do I plug it in "hot" or must both the player and DAC be powered down first.

Thanks, Rich

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

Please see page 15

generichs

« Reply #959 on: 8 May 2015, 04:05 am »
I don't think it matters.  I usually simply put pre-amp on mute.  I keep USB permanently plugged in and use the input selector for different inputs.

Sorry, misunderstood what you said.  PS Audio PWD II can only be connected to BDP with co-axial outlet.  BDP1 Co-axial is BNC plug, PS Audio co-axial is RCA.  You will need BNC adapter for your digital cable to PS Audio DAC.  Or order a digital cable with the output end BNC and the input end RCA.