Firmware selector for Macintosh??

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
« on: 7 May 2006, 05:57 pm »
mgalusha killer app is great: IF you own a PC. Howsa bout some love for the Mac users?Can someone describe how to revert to v. 15 of the firmware with a Macintosh?

I suppose I could hook up the SB3 to my PC, update it the firmware, then hook it back up to a Mac...

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2006, 11:41 pm »
Dave,

Since the SB software is written in perl I suspect that the directory structure and control files are the same regardless of version.

The file that controls which firmware the SB uses is squeezebox2.version. This is just a text file (UNIX format). It can be edited with any text editor. The directory tree on a PC is Slimserver/server/Firmware and the file lives in that directory.

If you feel comfortable editing the file it should be no problem. Make a copy for the control file before making any changes. :)

The code below will load the V15 firmware. Other versions are the same except all instances of 15 will be whatever firmware version you are running, such as 28 or whatever.
Code: [Select]

# Squeezebox2 firmware
#
# from        to
# from1..from2 to

1..15  15

# future versions may be downgraded to this one

If you're running OS-X I would think it has perl built in (since it's UNIX based) and you should be able to run a perl script that would do this easily. 'Course that means some one would have to write one. ;)

On other possibility. Since you mention having a PC, if you can enable PC file sharing on the Mac (Samba?) and can map a drive on the Mac from your PC, you could run the SB firmware app on your PC and have it write the file directly on the Mac.

Good luck,

Mike

AudioCat

Re: Firmware selector for Macintosh??
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2006, 06:30 pm »
I'm interested in trying out firmware v15 but don't see the squeezebox2.version file on the Mac.  I do see this file and the described folder hierarchy on my Windows box.  Any suggestions on how to change the firmware for Mac? The OSX is 10.4.8 and this is a MacBook with the 2ghz Intel Core Duo.

Thanks!

jakepunk

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2006, 01:33 am »
On a mac it depends whether you installed slimserver under your own account or system-wide.  If your own account, it's in ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Firmware under your home directory.  Otherwise it's under the analogous directory in /Library starting from the root directory.

AudioCat

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2006, 03:25 am »
Thanks.  It's strange because I see the /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane - but, there are no other folders ( i.e. /Contents/server/Firmware) in the path.  I checked both the root folder and my user path.  Additionally, I did a file search for the squeezebox2.version file and the only copy it found is on the Windows parition (I'm using Boot Camp).  Is it possible it is using that version?  I thought that was only for the SlimServer I have running in Windows.  Maybe I'll try editing that version and see what happens.  :o

Thanks, again.

jakepunk

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2006, 05:09 pm »
Search for slimserver.pl on your mac partition.  That's how I found mine.