SACD ripping using a PS3

mickknights

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #60 on: 5 Nov 2012, 09:39 am »
Thank you Ted that would be brilliant.  I have spent the last week now trying to locate the keys but I guess Sony did a good job of removing or blocking the sources!  I am a dedicated headphone user, (HeadRoom Balanced UltraDac and Ultra Desktop Amp with Desktop Power Supply running HD800/HD650 with balanced Cardas cables), and hi-res music really makes a difference to the detail and soundstage in my favourite recordings. I transferred my CD collection onto a NAS hard drive years ago for use with my Sonos system, but this will only stream 16/44.1 files.  I recently purchased a Squeezebox Touch which now means that I can stream my 24/92 music files to my squeezebox via ethernet and then on to my UltraDac; and so far it is all working perfectly!  I had no idea I could add my SACD's to my NAS via a PS3 until I stumbled across this forum, so once again I big thank you to Mr Wicked, yourself Ted and everyone else who had a hand in making the process possible.

I hope that once I have extracted the ISO files from the SACD that I will be able to use my Mac to do the rest of the work necessary to transfer them to my NAS as AIFF files (I'm an Apple man I'm afraid, AIFF files means I can leave my 24/96 files in my iTunes library for convenience but also stream them to my Squeezebox Touch where they play natively).  I'm hoping Ted that your PDF will assist me with this process.

Kindest regards
Mick

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #61 on: 5 Nov 2012, 02:00 pm »
I sent everything yesterday, when I posted.  I am surprised you don't have it in your PM box. 

The MAC scripts are in there too, as I said, but need to be installed in a root directory (once the ISO's are ripped via the PS3 of course).  For better MAC script use, try Ken's post here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/index26.html#post157841

Ken and I will get together and I'll fix my guide on the MAC side soon.

mickknights

« Reply #62 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:11 am »
Ted,

PM received, thank you (sorry replied to your post before I checked my inbox),  I can now rip SACD's on my PS3.  I have created the folder ISO2DSD and the Mac scripts are inside as well as a folder named 'programs' which contains sac_extract, i have also copied the freshly ripped ISO file into the ISO2DSD folder as per your instructions.  When I type cd ${HOME}/Music/ISO2DSD into terminal (I'm using a Mac) it finds the folder ok, however when i then type "Extract DST Stereo Files.sh" terminal states. "cannot execute binary file".  Any idea where I may be going wrong?

Many thanks
Mick

mickknights

« Reply #63 on: 6 Nov 2012, 10:05 am »
Hi Ted,

Following on from my previous post; I have also attempted the extraction process on my wife's PC:
1) Opened ISO2DSD zip file in my Music folder.
2) In ISO2DSD folder resides, 'Programs' folder with sacd_extract inside, PC bat files, and finally the ISO file.
3) When I double click 'Extract DSD Stereo Files' the command window appears and states:

File Not Found
Extraction Completed
Press any key to continue...

It seems that I am making a mistake somewhere in the process!  Can you help please?

Many thanks
Mick

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #64 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:44 am »
Use the Extract DST Stereo files.BAT the Extract DSD Stereo Files.BAT will not work if there is DST content.  See the pdf file.

Made the same mistake.

Mark

Add on:  is anyone else having trouble with the extraction process?  It is crashing a Windows Vista 64 Ultimate, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 machine w/8g of ram.  I can get about 6 files completed and then boom, it shuts down.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 6 Nov 2012, 02:01 pm »
Ted,

PM received, thank you (sorry replied to your post before I checked my inbox),  I can now rip SACD's on my PS3.  I have created the folder ISO2DSD and the Mac scripts are inside as well as a folder named 'programs' which contains sac_extract, i have also copied the freshly ripped ISO file into the ISO2DSD folder as per your instructions.  When I type cd ${HOME}/Music/ISO2DSD into terminal (I'm using a Mac) it finds the folder ok, however when i then type "Extract DST Stereo Files.sh" terminal states. "cannot execute binary file".  Any idea where I may be going wrong?

Many thanks
Mick

As I stated above, for MAC don't follow my instruction as they seem to put the folder out of reach in the MAC environment...follow Ken's (his good instructions are on the link from CA).

A couple tips that have been included in the latest guide:

1)  make sure the ISO2DSD folder (call it whatver you want, btw) is close to the root of the drive, so the path name for the extraction is not too long.  Windows doesn't like C://users/tedb/misc/music/SACD/extrcat/ISO2DSD/Chamber_Orchestra_of_Poland-beethoven_concertos_Joe Blow, conducting.ISO/1_Addagio_violin and cello_Opus1234567,movement3.DSF
....and in fact if extracting a classical ISO maybe rename the ISO to something short but identifiable for the purposes of extraction.  This looks much cleaner to Windows and the extraction app: C://documents/ISO2DSD/Poland-Beethoven.ISO..track name (you have, of course, no control over extracted tracks names until tagging time so shortening the stuff you do have control over helps reduce the risk of the file path character limitation).

2)  use the Extract DST Stereo DSF files.bat for all your 2 channel extractions.  Why?  First, some definitions.  DST is a compression algorithm that is included on many SACDs to fit both stereo and multichannel content on the disc.  It is not evident that it exists, however, on any one disc.  DSF is one of two DSD formats (the other DIFF).  Why do I tell you to use this bat command, then?  First, because DSF is the better DSD format than DIFF due to better tagging/metadata, and most importantly because looking for DST compression is a no-brainer.  If it's not on the disc, no big deal, but if it is then the DST command is needed to decompress it.  using the bat file WITHOUT DST commands means you risk getting garbage from those discs that happen to have DST.  Just delete that bat, frankly.

Feel free to PM me with emails or phone numbers and I can help troubleshoot specific issues.  I'll then post here the solution for others to learn from (once we kill the gremlins).
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2012, 03:10 pm by ted_b »

john-j

« Reply #66 on: 15 Nov 2012, 07:49 am »
Hi Ted,

I have just got a PS3 with 3.55cfw for extracting all of my SACD.  However getting all required files seems to be very hard on the web.  So I would like your help in PM me the files and ripping guide.  Thanks a million.

john-j

helvis

« Reply #67 on: 16 Nov 2012, 03:13 am »
Hi could I get the pdf instructions and other things I need please.
I updated my ps3 once and need to load the more recent version and forgot what to do.

Thanks for any help!

PhilipAC

« Reply #68 on: 21 Nov 2012, 09:48 pm »
Hi Ted

I know you favour DSF over DFF because of tagging. But do you have any evidence of differences in playback quality between DSF and DFF?

Sorry if this has been asked before!

Philip

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 21 Nov 2012, 09:50 pm »
Hi Ted

I know you favour DSF over DFF because of tagging. But do you have any evidence of differences in playback quality between DSF and DFF?

Philip
http://dsd-guide.com/faq/what-difference-between-dsd-dsf-dff-files#.UK1MgeOe-6Y

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 21 Nov 2012, 11:17 pm »
Hi could I get the pdf instructions and other things I need please.
I updated my ps3 once and need to load the more recent version and forgot what to do.

Thanks for any help!

jonn-j and helvis,
You need to post more in order to activate the PM (private message) function.  I will send PM's with all the links you need once that is accomplished.
Ted

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 21 Nov 2012, 11:18 pm »
Hi Ted

Philip

No difference sonically.  They simply have different header info, with DSF allowing tagging.  DSF is a no brainer.

helvis

« Reply #72 on: 22 Nov 2012, 04:10 pm »
Thanks Ted, I just bought an Oppo BDP-105 and am looking forward to custom playlists from my SACDS

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #73 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:33 am »
No difference sonically.  They simply have different header info, with DSF allowing tagging.  DSF is a no brainer.

I have to disagree here - I've ripped a lot of stuff to both DSF and DFF and the DFF is consistently the better sounding of the 2.  Note, I am using Foobar via a CAPS server, so no native DSD playback for me, but in my setup I can queue up both files back to back and compare them in real time.  The DSF files almost always sound more distant and less detailed.  Which is really too bad, because the tagging sure is better with DSF.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:41 am »
I have to disagree here - I've ripped a lot of stuff to both DSF and DFF and the DFF is consistently the better sounding of the 2.  Note, I am using Foobar via a CAPS server, so no native DSD playback for me, but in my setup I can queue up both files back to back and compare them in real time.  The DSF files almost always sound more distant and less detailed.  Which is really too bad, because the tagging sure is better with DSF.
Tyson, there is no difference, other than the header info.  So Foobar has a DSF (plug-in) decoding problem, or more likely a DSF conversion to PCM problem.  Try J River. 

Tyson

« Reply #75 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:03 am »
Quite possibly.  I have all the original ISO files, so I can re-rip to DSF whenever, and I'd like to because the tagging info is really nice to have. 

I tried J River on my CAPS server, but I can't get it to play any DFF files without skipping and stuttering all over the place.  So I uninstalled it a while back.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:09 am »
Quite possibly.  I have all the original ISO files, so I can re-rip to DSF whenever, and I'd like to because the tagging info is really nice to have. 

I tried J River on my CAPS server, but I can't get it to play any DFF files without skipping and stuttering all over the place.  So I uninstalled it a while back.

Hmm, that's weird about J River.  Mine is flawless (but not doing PCM conversion), and my CAPS is likely less powered than yours (Intel Dn2800mt Atom, as per my CAPS V2+ thread).  Something is amiss.  I absolutely love J River, and its remote app (3rd party jremote) is the best iPad audio remote app I've used.  Maybe we can take this offline and get you fixed on J River.  And their tagging (using DSF, FLAC, etc) is both simple (if needed) or very comprehensive (if needed).

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #77 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:01 pm »
Tyson,

When converting DSD to PCM in Jriver, did you set the PCM output format to a lower sampling rate like 88.2 khz?  That might fix the issue.

I use both Jriver and Foobar.  Jriver plays all stereo files, including native DSD via USB to a Benchmark DAC2.  Foobar plays multi-channel files via HDMI to a Oppo BDP-103.  I keep both programs open on the PC and switch inputs and ipod remote apps when moving between stereo and multi-channel files. 

If I could figure out an easy way for Jriver to seamlessly send only stereo files to the Benchmark driver and only multi-channel files to the HDMI driver, I'd use it for everything.  But for now this solution works.

On a related subject, does anyone know why Jriver auto-tags all my wave files with Chinese characters?  Kinda irritating since I don't read Chinese so I have no idea if the Chinese tags are correct.

Russ

Tyson

« Reply #78 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:39 pm »
Hmm, hadn't tried that.  I'll give it a shot.

PhilipAC

Static playing ripped DSF files
« Reply #79 on: 4 Dec 2012, 06:53 pm »
Hi Everyone

Below is a copy of a PM i sent to Ted_b. He suggested I post it generally. Any help from anyone who has had a similar problem
would be much appreciated!

Hi Ted

We chatted earlier about this issue (static near the beginning of large DSF file). You thought it was the DAC not recognising the signal straight away.

It can't be that because the music plays fine for quite a few seconds before the static starts. For tracks shorter
than about 10 minutes, there is no problem. After that, the longer the track, the longer the static before it stops- not
so good for Mahler!! The static always stops once PM has finished loading the file.

I am using Pure Music 1.88, and my DAC is a Vertex Aletheia- a NOS DAC, so PM converts the DSF file to 88.2

I think it must be a capacity issue, because the PM is clearly converting to PSM88.2 OK, the DAC recognises the PCM88.2,
and for a while the PM/DAC is clearly happy to play music whilst the PM is still loading the file. The static is occurring when the end of a
big file is still loading, and stops when uploading has stopped.

My MBP has 8GB of RAM, so I wouldn't have thought that is where the blockage is. You suggested that PM might be running
out of caching space- but I don't get the problem with equally large 192/24 files! So it is clearly something to do with the fact
that the files are large DSF ones.

I have now also noticed that PM uploads into memory my 192/24 files and DFF files from Channel Classics so fast that I
get no problems, and also that when I play a problem movement again (after switching to something else briefly, then there is
no problem!! Could it be that PM has an issue with large DSF files produced by ripping, but somehow resolves this issue for
subsequent replays? How weird would that be?!

Finally, perhaps PM1.9 will solve my problem!

If you really don't have time to think about this, I will understand, but I thought it might pique your curiosity.

Should I post this generally, to see if anyone else has found the same thing?

Thanks for your help

Philip