Olympus OM1 or OM1N

bluesky

Olympus OM1 or OM1N
« on: 20 Apr 2003, 12:38 am »
Hi,

I have always had a soft spot for Olympus OM1 camera.  What I would like to know is the difference between the two models, ie 0M1 and OM1N?  I think it is just that the OM1N has the facility for a motor drive.

Also, were there different models made for the American market?

If not, it does open up a new source for getting one of these classic cameras.  I suppose I should be sensible and just get a new digital, but...why start being sensible now :lol:

My last question is this, I have noticed that my eyesight is changing with age (I am 49 now), is there an viewfinder suitable to help with focusing as it is a manual focus camera.

Thanks,

Bluesky
Brisbane, Australia

BikeWNC

Olympus OM1 or OM1N
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2003, 04:11 am »
Hi,

I can't remember what the N designation is for, but I still own an OM-2N.  My brother has an OM1.  I have found numerous cameras of both models available on EBAY.  

As for the aging eyesight, Olympus made a viewfinder shade which had a slot for a correction lens.  I actually have one of those also, though I wonder if it would correct for my current eyesight.  I haven't used the camera in a while.

Andy

BikeWNC

Olympus OM1 or OM1N
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2003, 04:32 am »
I found this info during a google search on the net.

Olympus later added an "N" designation to the OM1 and OM2, making them the OM1N and the OM2N.  The "N" improvements were minor, allowing, for example, a 2 minute shutter speed and true off-the-film metering on the OM2 in automatic mode.  "N" cameras don't seem to fetch much more than non- "N" models on the used market, so you should go for one, if you can -- you'll be getting a newer camera in the bargain.

Hope that helps.

bluesky

Olympus OM1 or OM1N
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2003, 04:41 am »
Thanks for that info, I will go for the "N" model, I am sure I could find a good one.

Now for another question.  Which 50mm lens, they come with various apertures but which is the best (ie sharpest pictures)? :?

Cheers,

Blue

BikeWNC

Olympus OM1 or OM1N
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2003, 04:50 am »
Can't help you on the 50mm - I don't own one.  I have a 35-70 f3.6, 24 f2 and a 300 f4.5.  I use the 24mm most often when using this camera.

Paul

Olympus OM1 or OM1N
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2003, 01:14 am »
I have the 50mm f1.8 ( on an Olympus OM10 )

Its gives the sharpest pictures I've ever seen. Its approaching 25 years old and still has a satisfyingly smooth-but-firm focussing action.

Its a bit smaller and lighter than the f1.4, cheaper too. Its completely recommended, unless you see yourself doing a LOT of low natural light or extremely narrow depth of field stuff, in which case the f1.4 or even f1.2 might be better.

hth

paul, tokyo.