Talk me out of buying an S200..

JohnR

« on: 6 Mar 2003, 09:50 pm »
I walked into the Ritz Camera next to Peet's today and they have the S200 for $279. Plus tax plus 40 for a 64 MB CF. OK so it's "last years's" model but it seems like a good deal to me, I don't need more pixies for the web, and I like the small size. Seems like any alternatives are at least a hundred bux more.

Don't wanna buy online, had a bad experience with that where I ended up out $35 on shipping and still didn't have a camera :(

Thoughts?

I want it I want it :)

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2003, 10:41 pm »
John,

It's a good camera.
Small, light, sturdy, good pictures.

We have them deployed for our property managers who are notoriously rough on them.   I've had my S100 (pvs model) for a long time now and it's been great.  The '200 is even better.

Buy a CF card reader, too.  It will simplify moving files around.

Go get it!!!!!

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2003, 10:42 pm »
BTW, the goat picture was taken with an S100...... :wave:

DiNo

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2003, 11:12 pm »
John,
   FYI, I bought the same camera for my wife last week from (www.onecall.com)  for $239 (no tax) w/shipping included.  I know you stated that you don't want to deal with on-line store but onecall(located in Washington) is a reputable company unlike most of those camera stores in NY and NJ. The only stores that I do business with in NY is B&H Photo and Adorama.  
As for the compact flash, you can get a 256MB from Amazon for $49.99 after rebate.  64MB is alright for daily usage but definitely not enough storage for special event or vacationing trip. If you have a notebook, you don't need a CF reader, just get the CF adapter for $7 and you're set.

Just my .02

Good Luck,

Dino

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2003, 11:18 pm »
Heh, nice goat Brad :-)

Now I'm tempted to go down there before they close today and get it. onecall want $271 today and it's just hassle if there's a problem (as I found out!). How does your wife like the camera Dino?

DiNo

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2003, 11:44 pm »
I guess that was the sale price from last week. My wife loves this camera because it's small and compact, about the size of a pack of cigarette. The camera takes excellent pictures if you have enough light because the internal flash is very weak so you have to be carefull when shooting at night time.  I guess I'm spoil by those SLR camera with powerful external flash therefore I think all cameras with built-in flash are whimpy :-)

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2003, 12:07 am »
I never buy anything on impulse... yeah right :tempted:

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2003, 08:52 am »
Got it :-)

Here's a photo of the box  :P

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2003, 12:24 pm »
John,

Great impulse buy.  Now you can send us some pictures from down unda, can't remember if you are moving to New Zealand or Australia shortly.

NB

roopaudio

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2003, 12:37 am »
John,

I have the identical camera, and absolutely love it.  Not sure if you're aware of the CP-100 printer, but you can print 4x6 prints on the go via direct connection.  The printer quality is almost as good as standard film developing (cheap developing, anyway), and the fact you can have it in 30 seconds only increases the appeal.

Rup