Capitol Audio Fest 2014

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Capitol Audio Fest 2014
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2014, 05:30 am »
Never been to one of these shows before. Since I'm interested in buying speakers, amp, processor is it worth it for me to attend?  Can I buy at this venue? Are the deals better than the usual shopping around?

Leaning towards Focal 1038 be2 or Ariel T7. Would like to hear a few more options in the 7-10k range.

Thanks.

Focal is carried locally by iq audio who is not participating this year AFAIK - and even at their store the highest end Focal demo is a 1008, so I think it's very unlikely you'll see / hear the 1038 demoed at CAF.

Ariel is carried by Command Performance AV, which is participating this year, but they are not demoing Ariel speakers, nor do they have a demo 7T at the store. They most likely could get you a good price on a pair of 7T if you called them or talked to them at the show.

The only thing that might be at the show in the category your looking at is the Salk Soundscape 8, which is a damn fine speaker, and presumably they would do a show special offer. But arrive and ask early as Salk stuff tends to sell fast.

Admission is cheap, so encourage you to participate regardless. And most exhibitors are willing and able to give you deals on shows demos. 

Scottdazzle

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2014, 05:23 pm »
Never been to one of these shows before. Since I'm interested in buying speakers, amp, processor is it worth it for me to attend?  Can I buy at this venue? Are the deals better than the usual shopping around?

Leaning towards Focal 1038 be2 or Ariel T7. Would like to hear a few more options in the 7-10k range.

Thanks.

Daedalus Audio will be presenting Lou Hinkley's newest model which is in your price range. It will be in the 6th floor ModWright/Daedalus/WyWires/Viva Hifi room. We will be using the ModWright Oppo 105 and VPI Traveler as sources.  Hope to see you there.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2014, 05:28 pm »
p.s. bring some musical selections you want to hear on vinyl, sacd, cd, or thumb drive.  :D

SeaNile

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2014, 07:11 pm »
Pretty sure I will attend this event.  I'm still all over the place when it comes to the components and so far have the speakers narrowed down to Aerial 7T, Focal 1038be and the Salk SoundScape 8. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2014, 08:29 pm »
Don't get too "set" too soon would be my advice (not that you're asking for it). You never know what you might hear there that might steer you in a different direction. The only one of your candidates that I have heard are the SoundScapes. I could live with those juuuust fiiiiine. Looking forward to hearing the new Daedalus. Their speaks have consistently been among the most musical at the show regardless of price.

Hope Van Alstine is at the show again.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jul 2014, 11:06 pm »
Should I make a group reservation at the
Classics steakhouse?  Sunday would be easier than Saturday for a large group.  Who is in?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm »
I see Klaus has a speaking gig on Friday.   I am sorry I will be missing it as I am sure it will be a hoot. :thumb:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jul 2014, 04:38 am »
Classics steakhouse?  Sunday would be easier than Saturday for a large group.  Who is in?

Me...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2014, 04:53 am »

I could do either Saturday lunch or dinner, or Sunday lunch.  Sunday at the end of show will probably have to assist packing up. Lunch is probably cheaper and easier to get reservations......

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2014, 06:03 am »
I could do either Saturday lunch or dinner, or Sunday lunch.  Sunday at the end of show will probably have to assist packing up. Lunch is probably cheaper and easier to get reservations......

You might as well pack up that morning. That seems what everybody else does on Sunday.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2014, 07:50 am »
Not that many will be hanging around Sunday evening.  Traditionally the large group whittles down to 5 or 6 even on Saturday night so I don't imagine reservations will be an issue.  Maybe we should do a headcount now?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 20 Jul 2014, 04:15 am »

We need to confirm.

Also, see if Klaus wants to attend as well.

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 20 Jul 2014, 11:01 am »
AbsofreakinglutelybetyoursweetassIamin. ..........1 vote for Saturday,  as I promised Irina a quiet and romantic Sunday night.........

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:34 pm »
Sounds like fun. Is saturday a better choice considering folks leave on sunday?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #34 on: 20 Jul 2014, 06:26 pm »
There are two contingents in the MAAC, those local to DC and those traveling some distance.  For the locals either Sunday or Saturday works and obviously travelers are leaving Sunday afternoon.  Being in the latter camp, Saturday is about the only option for me.  For choice of restaurants, I follow wherever the local crowd leads.

PS:  Meeting at the bar next to the lobby at some specified time, say 6 pm or something like that, always seems to work well.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 20 Jul 2014, 08:04 pm »
There are two contingents in the MAAC, those local to DC and those traveling some distance.  For the locals either Sunday or Saturday works and obviously travelers are leaving Sunday afternoon.  Being in the latter camp, Saturday is about the only option for me.  For choice of restaurants, I follow wherever the local crowd leads.

PS:  Meeting at the bar next to the lobby at some specified time, say 6 pm or something like that, always seems to work well.

The raffle drawing is at six-ish...

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2014, 09:05 pm »
Sounds good to me, meet at the raffle drawing.  Now, who's going?

HEAD COUNT!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2014, 09:05 pm »
Is there a download for the rooms to help plan ahead for visiting rooms or just the list on the show site?

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 20 Jul 2014, 09:32 pm »
Q. to the locals:

I have to ship some gear via SWA cargo...which one is easier to get to and more accessible from Silver Springs:  Dulles or RR airports ???

Phil A

« Reply #39 on: 20 Jul 2014, 10:15 pm »
Q. to the locals:

I have to ship some gear via SWA cargo...which one is easier to get to and more accessible from Silver Springs:  Dulles or RR airports ???

RR is about a third of the distance (in miles) vs. Dulles or BWI