Axiom M80 V3 with My Bryston System - 'I cannot believe that this happened'

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Hmm...I see your point(s) Now do you feel his PMCs need a bigger amp, say the 28BSST2?

werd

Hmm...I see your point(s) Now do you feel his PMCs need a bigger amp, say the 28BSST2?

No he needs compression added like in a bar or nightclub.

vegasdave

Ok, haha.

Metal Forever

"DaveNote

I own very little brothers of your beautiful 803s - the small and realtively inexpensive 685 stand mounts. Like the PMCs they have a smoother more relaxed sound than the M80s. And the tweeters are bright, but very sweet sounding. Very nice. My guess is that the M80s might be more accurate and neutral than 803s. But as a consequence they have a harder edge especially in the high frequency range. Some people find them much too bright. Therefore, it is possible that you would find your 803s more to your taste. I have not heard many people regret buying B&W. Indeed, I don't regret buying my PMCs, which I thought was the right choice when I made the purchase. I would have gone a lot more crazy than I have become if I regretted every audio purchase that subsequently has ended up gathering dust, or which ended up in returning very little in a trade. Recently, for example, I made trade a long unused Theta DAC for very few dollars on a piece that itself is now unused.

Enjoy your B&Ws, and if and when you move to another speaker, remember the joy they gave you.
Maybe the best way to think about this hobby is that in a way its like golf where you may over time spend a fortune on club and/or green fees, and end up with nothing more tangible than memories, hopefully good ones.

Dave"

I couln't agree more with you... I still remember the joy my first "mid-fi" stereo system Pioneer/JBL gave me back in 1985 *teenager).  I couldn't be any happier back then....

"

bjski

Help! I am going to replace my front speakers in my home theater system. My amp is the 9BSSST/2. After reading Dave's review of the Axiom M80 V3 I moved the speakers to my short list. I like that M80's are so efficent and at 4 ohms the Bryston will deliver 200 watts a channel. I was also thinking of the Emotive 6.2 XTR on sale $629 each. My wife dosen't like the Martin Logan. She like's the more traditional looking tower speakers. She also gave me a budget of $2000 or less. It's all about the WAF and good cheap sound. :green:

sfraser

Sounds like the M80's might be a good choice, they seemed to be getting great ratings  in the sub $2k range. They also offer free shipping (one way) and a 30 day money back trial. May want to check the return shipping costs in case you don't like them. One other thing they offer,  which wont improve the sound, but will likely appeal to the wife is the the custom finish options available. Get her involved in the finish selection, they will end up sounding and blending in better better that way  :wink:

Axiom also have center and rear speaker models which should integrate nicely  with the M80's.

Cheers, and happy listening!

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Sounds like the M80's might be a good choice, they seemed to be getting great ratings  in the sub $2k range. They also offer free shipping (one way) and a 30 day money back trial. May want to check the return shipping costs in case you don't like them. One other thing they offer,  which wont improve the sound, but will likely appeal to the wife is the the custom finish options available. Get her involved in the finish selection, they will end up sounding and blending in better better that way  :wink:

Axiom also have center and rear speaker models which should integrate nicely  with the M80's.

Cheers, and happy listening!

It's always good advice to involve a wife in selecting finishes if speakers are going to be in places she shares with you. But the standard vinyl finishes of the M80 are very good, so good that they might even pass muster with most very particular wives.

I had my PMC MB2is and M80s side-by-side. Both are in Black Ash. The PMC is a veneer. The M80 is vinyl. I showed them to my wife. She could not tell the difference. And if I had a wife who put me on a budget, I think she would opt for the vinyl and save $245.

In looking up this figure, I noticed that Axiom "From time to time we have selected products available that have minor scratches or dents, not visible from more than 4 feet away," which it sells as B Stock and costs about $150 less.

Out of curiosity I called Axiom about its 30 day return policy. I was told that the buyer is responsible for shipping costs in sending the speakers back. But apparently if you check with Axiom they will explain how the cost per speaker can be lmited to $45 per speaker if shipped in North America.

bjski

Got my Axiom M80V3 today. Hooked them up to my surround sound system amp a Bryston 9BSST2. I'll give them a few weeks before a serious listen. I don't think I'll ever hook them up to my 7BSST/2. (too much of a hassle) Now if I bought the model T it would be a different story. Lol! James if you need any Beta testers. :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Got my Axiom M80V3 today. Hooked them up to my surround sound system amp a Bryston 9BSST2. I'll give them a few weeks before a serious listen. I don't think I'll ever hook them up to my 7BSST/2. (too much of a hassle) Now if I bought the model T it would be a different story. Lol! James if you need any Beta testers. :D

Yes please let me know what you think of the 80's - should I ask them for a commision on this sale  :lol:

james

DaveNote

I hate hassles, too. But I use my 7BSST2s to drive my M80s, and even for someone as lazy as I am it has been worth the effort. I plan to upgrade to the Model T basic passive strongly believing that it will be a major upgrade. But the M80/7BSST2 sounds so good to me, even with Internet radio stations, that I am struggling in trying to imagine the Model T/7BSST2 combo. Puts a very big smile on my face just thinking about it!  :D

Dave

vegasdave

Did you dump the PMCs?

DaveNote

Did you dump the PMCs?

I'm hoping to sell them. They are great speakers, which is why it's a crying shame that they are now being used as two-channel speakers for our TV.  :cry:

Trying to recover a bit of my original investment while reminding myself that it makes no sense to cry over spilt milk. Don't need more crying beyond how I'm using them now.  :cry:

Dave

spinner

:thumb:
 Nice Axiom tweeter supply...... :thumb:

Bobby_b

Did you dump the PMCs?

Why are you interested? By the way did you manage to dump your umbrella speakers  :lol:

bjski

Yes please let me know what you think of the 80's - should I ask them for a commision on this sale  :lol:

James, my thoughts are Dave and you should split the commission! :lol:

I could not wait so I gave the new Axiom M80v3 a listen. Equipment Bryston 9BSST/2,Denon 2500 blue ray transport and a Onkyo 5508 preamp processor/dac.(I know sacrilege) My wife and I with a couple of martinis.

First, I bought the speakers in the standard black finish and believe it or not the speakers had WAF. They were not "furniture" but they had a smaller footprint than the speakers they replaced and she was happy.

My wife's first comment to me was how alive the Axioms sound. Yes, they sounded very clean and life like,not listening to speakers. The speakers faded away by that I mean they weren't directional it was more a wall of sound for a pair of speaker approximately 13 feet apart. The Axioms out of the box are bright but accurate. What they did lack was the deep bass for us. These speaker are in a good size room for which I needed to turn on my Earthquake sub. My reference speakers are Legacy Focus SE which have 4, 12 inch woofers. I was missing the deep bass with the Axiom's.

I did push the volume and the Bryston never clipped nor did the speakers distort. The amp was hot,not like my 7Bsst/2 which run cool with the Legacy's. The Axiom's reminded me of my Legacy's in terms of both rated 95db 1 watt. They sound great at low volume but yet beg to be turned up.

My initial thoughts are very good speaker for the money. I do think mine would benefit from better electronics. They do present a very big sound for such a small speaker. I have not done any serious listening. (soundstage,depth,etc) I'll wait for the speakers to break in and for the wife to be out. I do think the speakers need to be brought into the man cave and fired up. The speaker's there are a more reasonable 8 feet apart. :)

If the Model T sounds like the Axiom's on steroids Bryston has a winner!

DaveNote

James, my thoughts are Dave and you should split the commission! :lol:

I could not wait so I gave the new Axiom M80v3 a listen. Equipment Bryston 9BSST/2,Denon 2500 blue ray transport and a Onkyo 5508 preamp processor/dac.(I know sacrilege) My wife and I with a couple of martinis.

First, I bought the speakers in the standard black finish and believe it or not the speakers had WAF. They were not "furniture" but they had a smaller footprint than the speakers they replaced and she was happy.

My wife's first comment to me was how alive the Axioms sound. Yes, they sounded very clean and life like,not listening to speakers. The speakers faded away by that I mean they weren't directional it was more a wall of sound for a pair of speaker approximately 13 feet apart. The Axioms out of the box are bright but accurate. What they did lack was the deep bass for us. These speaker are in a good size room for which I needed to turn on my Earthquake sub. My reference speakers are Legacy Focus SE which have 4, 12 inch woofers. I was missing the deep bass with the Axiom's.

I did push the volume and the Bryston never clipped nor did the speakers distort. The amp was hot,not like my 7Bsst/2 which run cool with the Legacy's. The Axiom's reminded me of my Legacy's in terms of both rated 95db 1 watt. They sound great at low volume but yet beg to be turned up.

My initial thoughts are very good speaker for the money. I do think mine would benefit from better electronics. They do present a very big sound for such a small speaker. I have not done any serious listening. (soundstage,depth,etc) I'll wait for the speakers to break in and for the wife to be out. I do think the speakers need to be brought into the man cave and fired up. The speaker's there are a more reasonable 8 feet apart. :)

If the Model T sounds like the Axiom's on steroids Bryston has a winner!

I'm glad that you're happy with your new M80s so far. i found that the sound improves after using them. I don't know whether this is true burning in or just getting used to a very linear sound. In any case, at first I, too, thought they were a very bright speaker, but now find the high end outstanding. I don't really play my music loudly, but at normal volumes, peaking in the low 80 dbs range, The bottom end is quite good and very accurate. But the M80 is a relatively small speaker and doesn't have the kind of overall weight and body to its sound that a bigger box would provide. Which is why the Model T is likely to be even better.

Dave

vegasdave

Why are you interested? By the way did you manage to dump your umbrella speakers  :lol:

Why not? And umbrella speakers?

vegasdave

I'm hoping to sell them. They are great speakers, which is why it's a crying shame that they are now being used as two-channel speakers for our TV.  :cry:

Trying to recover a bit of my original investment while reminding myself that it makes no sense to cry over spilt milk. Don't need more crying beyond how I'm using them now.  :cry:

Dave

I see. Well, whatever you do, good luck!

patrickm

I was up north this week and was lucky enough to go on a tour of the Axiom plant.  Extremely interesting to see how their speakers and electronics were developed/made, tested and shipped.  I'm heading back in a few months for a demo listening, looking for a 5.1 system for upstairs.  However, I will be purchasing a set of their computer speakers next week!

Marius

HI,

just today I stumbled upon this: http://www.goldenear.com and their Towers, http://www.goldenear.com/index.php/products/triton-towers. Complete HT-sets built around those.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but had not noticed any earlier posts and would like to know if there are any AC members in the Bryston Circle that play those.

They seem kind of interesting, and very nicely priced...

Marius