my LGK build log (all done!)

charmerci

Re: my LGK build log (all done!)
« Reply #40 on: 5 May 2014, 05:16 pm »
Really nice!  :thumb:

What's the receiver? I recently owned a DRA-635.

BK_856er

« Reply #41 on: 5 May 2014, 06:59 pm »
Really nice!  :thumb:

What's the receiver? I recently owned a DRA-635.

Receiver is a humble DRA-335R.  I bought it in college in the late '80s and somehow it hung around.  Already robbed the feet for a DIY amp project.  Sounds very decent and perfect for projects/testing!

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #42 on: 5 May 2014, 07:24 pm »
Looks good from here BK. More importantly, are you pleased with results? Often when at the end of a project, I find myself thinking next time I'll change this or that...keeps the fire burning, I suppose.

Thanks for the remarks, guys.

On the sound:  Very impressed, especially after the first ~10hrs of use.  I've been cycling through my reference material that I know well and these are doing quite well.  Andres Segovia, Neal Young Unplugged, Norah Jones Come Away With Me, Rebecca Pidgeon.  The LGKs nail it.  Not fatiguing at all and wonderful for their near field design purpose.

On the finish:  Was going for a lower sheen and a more natural look, but I'll take what I can get and I'm thrilled with the final outcome.  Might have filled the grain given my buildup of coats.  The roundovers turned out fantastic and the veneer thankfully behaved itself.  I obsessed too much on the finish coats and little imperfections, and ended up creating little problems trying to fix other little problems.  Need to use finer grades of sandpaper next time and sand less between coats.  Was targeting a 10/10 on the cosmetics and I think I achieved a 9.5/10 and the best I could do at my current skill level.  Will try the wipe on technique next time and budget more time for the finish - was getting really impatient to finally hear these things after many months!

Great deal of satisfaction to finally sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor and have something that I can be proud of.  That's why we all love DIY.  Thanks to Danny and Ben for making it all possible, and PeterJ for the finish advice.

BK

srb

« Reply #43 on: 5 May 2014, 08:29 pm »
On the finish:  Was going for a lower sheen and a more natural look, but I'll take what I can get and I'm thrilled with the final outcome.

I've taken several projects that had a gloss final finish down to a more natural satin sheen with synthetic wood finishing pads which also gets rid of any dust nibs.  I get mine from my local Woodworker's Source (they don't mail order these products), but a readily available equivalent product would be 3M Scotch-Brite Clear Blend Prep Scuff 7745.

Steve

BK_856er

« Reply #44 on: 5 May 2014, 10:39 pm »
I've taken several projects that had a gloss final finish down to a more natural satin sheen with synthetic wood finishing pads which also gets rid of any dust nibs.  I get mine from my local Woodworker's Source (they don't mail order these products), but a readily available equivalent product would be 3M Scotch-Brite Clear Blend Prep Scuff 7745.

Steve

Waterlox is said to diminish in sheen over 3-6 months (from ~70 to 55 degrees), so I'll wait first and see what happens.

Those pads look ideal for scuffing between coats and working the roundovers.  Will definitely pick some up!

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jul 2014, 09:26 pm »
Just wanted to follow-up and show the LGK in their natural habitat.

Still sounding and looking good!   :thumb:

As of today I'm driving them with a TPA3118 Class D amp (the little black box with the knob).

BK

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jul 2014, 09:33 pm »
Man, those look good.

ebag4

« Reply #47 on: 21 Jul 2014, 11:48 pm »
Very nice looking build, congrats.

Best,
Ed

baniels

« Reply #48 on: 22 Jul 2014, 04:33 pm »
Seriously... Not sure I can look my LGK's in the face after seeing that picture. So beautiful.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #49 on: 22 Jul 2014, 05:31 pm »
Those look beautiful.

I need to go to veneer school. The only time my LGK look (almost) that nice is after midnight when just the salt lamp is on in the bedroom. They look awesome then (since they are nearly invisible).  :oops:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 22 Jul 2014, 06:18 pm »
Seriously... Not sure I can look my LGK's in the face after seeing that picture. So beautiful.

I have heard there is a guy on this forum who sells LGK flatpacks. Maybe he would cut you a deal an a second pair so you can up the ante on the finish  :thumb:

But then mine are still raw, unfinished cabinets.  I've been too busy listening to them to take them apart to do the veneering and finishing.

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #51 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:25 am »
Very nice finish and veneer, I like the gloss a lot!

I also really like the little amp you bought, I picked one up for my Daughter and was really impressed.

Guy 13

« Reply #52 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:28 am »
Hi BK.
Nice work.  :thumb:

Guy 13

Trismos

« Reply #53 on: 18 Oct 2014, 05:58 am »
Question regarding these. I'd like to make these into tall narrow towers with say the 8" servo woofers mounted in the side. How much volume would be needed for the 8" woofers?

Edit;; Ok , the web site says .7 cubic feet and plays to 300 hz.   Does this work with the LGK?