Replacement struts on Rav4 '09. Dealership or not?

Folsom

The front struts are leaking :evil: , 85k miles on it. It's the sport version. Dealership said $900 to replace them. I'm wondering if they want a lot for factory struts, if after market are a lot better, or if I should have someone else put factory ones on? I haven't had cars with struts really. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Replacement struts on Rav4 '09. Dealership or not?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2017, 07:25 pm »
What's the parts and labor breakout? 

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2017, 07:55 pm »
They actually did not verbally say it. I will see if I can find the paper to see if it's written down. Nope... I may call them in a bit.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2017, 10:08 pm »
Shouldn't the answer to this question be predicated upon who the alternatives to the dealer are? In my experience, after market parts do not reliably sub for Toyota's own parts. Why short yourself over $100? It's not something you will be buying often. Better safe than sorry. Can I get a witness?

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2017, 11:32 pm »
I wouldn't short myself for $100. But compared to shocks on a truck we're talking more like $500/+ so I thought I should ask.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2017, 12:46 am »
I'm wondering if they want a lot for factory struts, YES
if after market are a lot better, POSSIBLY
if I should have someone else put factory ones on? YES

OEM Replacement parts are the most expensive. Dealer labor rates are the most expensive.

My recommendation is that you find an independent mechanic that specializes in Toyota. They should be able to install OEM struts at a lower hourly labor rate or possibly put in the same or similar struts from the company that manufactures them for Toyota or recommend better struts to address a weakness with the ones that came with the vehicle.

If you find a mechanic that will let you provide your own parts you can likely save even more by purchasing them on sale or at a lower priced online seller. I saved some serious dollars buying genuine manufacturer accessories for an authorized dealer that sells online rather than my local dealer.

If you want to spend time researching it you can probably find Toyota forum where lots of folks will opine on what to replace your existing struts with and where to buy them from to get them at a rock bottom price from a reputable online source.

Good luck.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2017, 01:13 am »
Dealers are my last option.  I needed a valve job on a Honda CRV once.  The dealer said that valves were not replaceable, and wanted to sell a head.  But his parts department showed that they stocked the valves.  I asked the guy why they sold a valve that could not be installed.  He had no answer.  Needless to say, I got it done in an independent shop for one third the price. 

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2017, 03:33 am »
My dealership here is pretty good. 5 oil changes for $150 I believe, package deal I get; they often wash and vacuum a little too, not sure of the exact deal with that. Alignment was $79, which is very fair. Differential flood change was priced well IIRC too. But the price for transmission fluid change seems high, it is $300 or $400 I think. Valvoline is probably $180 or so... I'd be happy to pay the dealer who has better techs who get paid better, but maybe more like $250 or something. That price and the struts seem a little gougey.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:10 am »
That price and the struts seem a little gougey.

According to the Repair PAL website the average cost for a Toyota RAV4 Front Strut/Shock Absorber replacement is between $408 and $486.

Labor costs are estimated between $211 and $267 while parts are priced between $197 and $219.  So that seems pretty much in line with your $900 (for two) quote.

While I'm sure it's possible to find an independent repair shop to beat that price, I don't think you'll cut it in half but you might be able to save a few hundred dollars.

Steve

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:19 am »
Ah, I guess struts are expensive compared to shocks.

S Clark

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:38 am »
Nice find but not the right ones. The Sport are different than the Limited. They are blue for whatever reason, and firmer.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:43 am »
Then I'd check out the RAV4 fan sites and look for aftermarket.  They are more likely to cater to sport handling. 

srb

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:44 am »
Nice find but not the right ones.

Still a good price for the standard struts.  You could contact them and see if they can quote and supply the sport version.

https://www.royalsouthtoyota.com/auto-parts-bloomington-in

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2017, 02:23 pm »
Dealers are my last option.  I needed a valve job on a Honda CRV once.  The dealer said that valves were not replaceable, and wanted to sell a head.  But his parts department showed that they stocked the valves.  I asked the guy why they sold a valve that could not be installed.  He had no answer.  Needless to say, I got it done in an independent shop for one third the price.

You should have reported the dealership to Honda USA.  There is also a regional service manager.  They would have gotten in a lot of trouble.

Not all dealers are bad.  I have a 2004 Nissan Murano with 69,000 miles on it.  It was just out of warranty for 1 month when the drivers side visor broke.  It cost $350 believe it or not.  The dealer lobbied for me and was able to get it replaced under the warranty.

As for the Struts, get the genuine parts installed by an independent mechanic as in a previous post.  I did that with my Acura CL-S Type.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2017, 01:39 pm »
A good independent mechanic I trust is super important to me.

I have used the same guy for all my out of warranty cars since the late 90's.  I actually played grade school hockey with him, and my wife went to high school with him.

He tells me what I need to do, and what I don't yet need to do.  I converted many friends and family to his shop.  I have had to argue to pay him for some stuff, and once when he had his guys spend 3 hours on my T Bird and would not let me pay him for the time I went and bought a case of beer for each of the techs that had spent time on my car. 

I wonder if I would buy a car that he would not service.  It would be rough to have to go find someone else (likely only an issue with an higher end German car).

Go find one (talk to other local owners of your brand) and start up a relationship is my advice.  Dealers are good for warranty work, and sometimes buying a car (I frequently buy 3-5 year old cars).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2017, 03:24 pm »
Have just completed a ridiculous experience with my Subaru dealership.  Note that due to expensive and some unneeded service I've found a good/honest local mechanic.

Got an airbag recall notice from the company, called dealer who said they weren't available, try again in 6 months.  OK, I've lived decades without airbags and don't live in fear of them.  Left myself a reminder on the smartphone.

Called again, parts now available but it's the passenger side airbag so requires 6 hours for removal of the entire dashboard.  They offer to give me a ride, but I'm retired and live 35 miles away.  So they offer to lend me a vehicle - cool, great way to try out a newer car.  They called at the end of the day that the work was done, but as I'd discussed with them I was busy the next day.  So I made it at the end of the next day, got in the car, tried to adjust the mirrors, and found out the retaining clip for the remote control knob was missing as it disappeared into the dashboard.  Was told they'd have to order the part (nobody keeps anything in stock anymore).

So made a 3rd 70 mile round trip to the dealership and waited an hour.  When done the service write up guy walked me out to the car to point out that they had somehow broke the passenger side mirror.  Was told again that they'd have to order the part.

So made the 4th round trip and waited another hour only to be told that the wrong part had been received.  At this point they offered to drive out to drop off a loaner and drive my car back and forth themselves, but I didn't trust them.

Finally on the 5th trip (280 miles on my car and 12 hours of my time, but thankfully all for free) the mirror got fixed and I escaped their clutches (without so much an apology). 

Unfortunately I live in a rural area and in another 50,000 miles the time belt will need replacement, so my choices will be the same or an unknown dealership.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2017, 03:44 pm »
Hard for me to put myself in the position because I'd do the work myself. I tell my wife we live beyond our means because I do nearly all service on our cars.  An indie shop and OEM parts purchased from online dealership parts supplier seems like it would fit your needs.

Interesting to me that the same dealerships that sell parts at a discount online will charge list for those parts were they to install in their own shop, which seems a little dishonest, but I don't carry their overhead so who am I to say.  I don't hate dealers really, if it weren't for folks buying new cars, we'd have nothing to purchase used. Seems many dealers have pissed in their own bathwater though, and the good ones get to wear the reputation of the bad ones.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2017, 05:45 pm »
Have just completed a ridiculous experience with my Subaru dealership.  Note that due to expensive and some unneeded service I've found a good/honest local mechanic.

Got an airbag recall notice from the company, called dealer who said they weren't available, try again in 6 months.  OK, I've lived decades without airbags and don't live in fear of them.  Left myself a reminder on the smartphone.

Called again, parts now available but it's the passenger side airbag so requires 6 hours for removal of the entire dashboard.  They offer to give me a ride, but I'm retired and live 35 miles away.  So they offer to lend me a vehicle - cool, great way to try out a newer car.  They called at the end of the day that the work was done, but as I'd discussed with them I was busy the next day.  So I made it at the end of the next day, got in the car, tried to adjust the mirrors, and found out the retaining clip for the remote control knob was missing as it disappeared into the dashboard.  Was told they'd have to order the part (nobody keeps anything in stock anymore).

So made a 3rd 70 mile round trip to the dealership and waited an hour.  When done the service write up guy walked me out to the car to point out that they had somehow broke the passenger side mirror.  Was told again that they'd have to order the part.

So made the 4th round trip and waited another hour only to be told that the wrong part had been received.  At this point they offered to drive out to drop off a loaner and drive my car back and forth themselves, but I didn't trust them.

Finally on the 5th trip (280 miles on my car and 12 hours of my time, but thankfully all for free) the mirror got fixed and I escaped their clutches (without so much an apology). 

Unfortunately I live in a rural area and in another 50,000 miles the time belt will need replacement, so my choices will be the same or an unknown dealership.
Reminds me of the service I used to get at my Subaru Dealership.

Explains why I don't own a Subaru anymore.....