Does anyone know how the neopanels in the RM30 are hooked up.

Mike G

Hi All;

This is my first post.
I just purchased a used set of RM30's and when I got them home noticed that the bottom neopanel in the right speaker is not working.  I ordered 2 new panels so I can replace it and have a spare and  continued to listen to the speakers for a few days and now none of the panels in the right channel are working.

I tested the panels by touching two leads from a battery to them and found that indeed the bottom panel makes no sound but the two upper panels make the click you would expect from a speaker.  So I suspect the two top panels are OK but they do not play.

I pulled the PR out and looked at the crossover which appears to be OK. I did here a click when pulling out the fiberglass stuffing and then found an extra PR screw in the bottom of the cabinet. (Could this have shorted something?)

I can only think of a few things that could cause this.

1. The panels are connected in a way that requires them all to be working. (It may be that the bottom panel was not completely out of the circuit allowing the others to play for a while.)

2. There is a short or bad component somewhere. I tested the pot closest to the PR port with my VOM and it is fine. All other components I can see look fine.

3. There is an open circuit somewhere. I can't imagine a loose wire. And could not detect any. These may not be the prettiest crossovers but they are soldered together and glued in place very well.

Maybe if I had a schematic or new how the panels are hooked up I could figure out or test what is going on.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 06:25 pm by Mike G »

Mike G

Hi All;

I took the speaker apart last night and drew the wiring diagram. The neopanels are hooked up in series and it is very possible that if one driver is not working the other 2 will also not work. So I am much relieved and believe that once I replace the bad panel they will all fire up. Once I get the new panels I will post if this solved the problem.

While I have the equipment to measure values I did not do it as I would have had to take each part out of the circuit to do so. I did put the trim pots on my VOM and found them to be working and very precise.

I thought about yanking the crossover out and making them OXO but I have limited space and really like things tucked away.

Thank God for my old Fried Speaker Kit Building Days.

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 06:26 pm by Mike G »

Mike G

Hi All;

I just noticed that in my first 2 post I incorrectly identified my RM30 Series II Speakers as RM40's.
Anyway just as I suspected when I replaced the bad panel in my system all of the neopanels work again as they were connected in series.

I am finally able to start tuning them.

Happy listening.

MGG

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Thanks for the update, hope you enjoy them.  :thumb: