Vintage Dahlquist subs with Maggies

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Vintage Dahlquist subs with Maggies
« on: 17 Apr 2014, 07:01 pm »
Asking around bout possible subs for the 20.1s and mentioned I have a pair of DQ-1W Dahlquist subs sitting around.  An AC member who shall remain nameless (unless it actually works) said the old subs can be a good match.   :scratch:

I have an extra amp sitting around and I imagine I'd need a low-pass filter of some sort and a volume control.

Viable?  Whacked out?   

Anybody want a pair of these?   :thumb:

Phil A

Re: Vintage Dahlquist subs with Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2014, 07:08 pm »
Many moons ago (probably 25 years), I owned a DQ-1W along with the Dahlquist LP1 crossover and used it with a variety of speakers (no planars or Maggies).  I'd imagine, however. that an LP1 set properly it could be a good match.

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2014, 07:27 pm »
I have an extra amp sitting around and I imagine I'd need a low-pass filter of some sort and a volume control.

I'm biamping maggie IIIA's with a Dahlquist LP-1 and it works really well. It's much more natural sounding than a Behringer I started out with. No reason why it wouldn't work with 20.1s. I've never tried subs with these though. Never felt the need to.

There's ln LP-1 on ebay right now.
steve

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2014, 08:12 pm »
Hey thunderbrick,

I've got a Behringer analog crossover you are welcome to use.  You could have true stereo subs crossed low.  Feed your big Maggies full range and bring up the Dahlquist subs around 40 hz.  Hell, I'll even UPS/FEDEX it to you so neither of us have to drive.  OR, I could bring it down to Rolla if you promise to play some tunes on your system for me. 

The Behringer is XLR only, so you'll need to buy some adaptors from Parts Express, but other than that, you're set.  Let me know if a free crossover is a good deal for you.   :D

P.S.  I think the Dahlquist idea is KILLER!!!!!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2014, 08:31 pm »
Mark, that's an exciting offer!  I have an LP-1 for biamping the mains.  It has a unused mono out but no way to control the sub output to blend with the system.  Location is another issue.  Subs behind the Maggies?  Next to?  Corner?  Side walls?  I could use them as end tables fro my chair but I imagine they'd need to be crossed over low.

A second LP-1 is an option, but pricey. 

WAIT! I just remembered I have an Audio Control Richter Scale xover sitting in the junk pile.  Came with some other speakers years ago.    Anyone know if that'll do?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2014, 08:36 pm »
Take the offer, Brick. You can experiment with placement, crossover points, slopes, etc. thereby determining what permanent solution you want to pursue. I imagine that is what Blackmore had in mind when he made the offer. Time to start moving down the funnel now. Everything is in place.

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2014, 08:45 pm »
Bob what I was thinking was put those subs up against the back wall like they were designed for.  Don't use any filtering or crossovers for the Maggies so they stay as pure as possible and let the Behringer only work on the subs.  Use a Y-cable from your preamp to the Behringer and then on to your spare amp.  I think the Behringer can cross over as low as 40 Hz and is a 24 dB/oct. unit.  I think this is the easiest set up for you and sub placement should be pretty easy with the Dalhquists and a low and sharp crossover point.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2014, 08:50 pm »
Mark, by back wall do you mean behind my chair or behind the mains?

I have the Maggies bi-amped and am thinking of running the extra preamp outs into a glorified low-pass filter, 100% separate from the main speakers.

Blackmore

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:50 pm »
I meant behind the speakers if possible.  If I remember correctly (which is damned doubtful at this point) the Dahlquist subs liked to be up against the wall and possibly near a corner to get all the low end they could muster.  I don't know if you have a back wall that's suitable, but that's where I'd put them.  My Behringer is a CX3400 if you want to look it up.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2014, 09:58 pm »
Whaddaya know?  That's where they sit now!  I even prewired that corner when the great remodeling took place! :thumb: