Magnepan 3.7i

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Magnepan 3.7i
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2014, 07:50 pm »
Magnepan are a cult. So the veil of secrecy is great. Gives the cultists something to cult about,
LOL
Magnepan are to listen to, Either you like them or not. No other applications matter. No one needs to be 'convinced' by charts, measurements or whatever.
Take 'em or leave 'em. No problem.
They already sell all they can make. So what is the problem with that?
My ONLY beef is the drop in used prices with the intro if the 3.7 So many maggie owners jumped for the 3.7 that it crushed the used market for 3.6 etc..
Only so many Maggie crazies out there.... On the plus side the low used prices should get us a few more Magnepan converts...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2014, 09:39 pm »
  Perhaps the secrecy is a ploy to gain interest.     
The secrecy has its merits just look at the thread. Got everyone talking about it. BRILLIANT !!
charles

But did it get everyone spending their money? 
I think the bunch of 3.7s up for sale is a dash to avoid the inevitable depreciation due to the mystery "i" revision. 
They may be switching brands, they may be going for the latest and the greatest, who can say.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #42 on: 8 Feb 2014, 04:54 am »
I got to hear a pair of 3.7i's last saturday at Audio perfection here in Minneapolis with an Ayre VX-5 amp, Ayre CD player and an ARC LS 27 preamp and an Atma Sphere MP-3 preamp.  I loved the sound.  It was smooth and a little darker and warmer compared to the 1.7's that I compared them too.  I went there to listen to the preamps as I am going to sell my Pass labs X1 preamp and go back to tubes to pair with my Pass X250 amp and 1.6's maggies.

Any one want to buy a Pass X1 preamp for $2K?

tgx78

« Reply #43 on: 8 Feb 2014, 05:11 am »
Time for me to upgrade from 3.5R now  :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 8 Feb 2014, 05:35 am »
Were you able to do a side by side with the earlier 3.7s? 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:42 am »
Were you able to do a side by side with the earlier 3.7s?

No I wasn't.  But the 3.7i's were clearly darker and warmer sounding than the 1.7's with the same gear.  In fact,  I was very surprised at how dark and warm the ARC preamp was as they are supposed to be very neutral sounding.  I am sure that the Ayre gear contributed to much of the sound.  The ARC preamp was too dark with the 3.7i's and it sounded better with the 1.7's.  I have never heard a maggie sounding warm or dark before.

Hasse

• "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" - FZ
« Reply #46 on: 9 Feb 2014, 04:49 pm »
I would think it would be a running change to the model.
With any luck they used the 20.7 as the reference model against whatever it is they did.

Does anyone know yet?
Not as far as I'm aware.
The upgrade is not needed for the 20.7 because it is already there. I spoke to a reliable source at the High-End Show in Stockholm yesterday. He said they have done something to the bass/mid panel and that it has nothing to do with the X-over. Results in better integration and a warmer, fuller midbass he sez  :thumb:

berni

« Reply #47 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:15 pm »
Push pull?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #48 on: 9 Feb 2014, 07:02 pm »
My dealer wasn't sure but he thought there was a capacitor upgrade in the 3.7i's.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 9 Feb 2014, 08:58 pm »
Push pull would be well worth the money and would be a significant upgrade BUT the smidgen of information that was dispensed was that it did not require any retooling and it does not justify a new model designation. 

I suppose we'll have to wait for someone to buy a set of the new ones and pull the staples out and take a picture.

k6davis

« Reply #50 on: 11 Feb 2014, 09:01 am »
I'll be ready to place my order to upgrade my 1.7's to 3.7i's in about a month, but by the time I get my pair, I hope we'll all know the details about what's changed.

I've only heard the 3.7, which was very impressive. Impressive enough that I started moving things around on the budget spreadsheet.  :)

A "warmer and darker" 3.7 would suit me even better!

Meanwhile, is there any new information?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:40 am »
Nope.

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #52 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:55 am »
For sure, it cannot be very much done for $500. If they need to swap the bass/mid panel, what do they do with the old ones? Recycle the perforated sheet metal with the magnets? Will they stop producing the 3.7 (without the i)?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 11 Feb 2014, 09:50 pm »
I'll tell ya what, whoever gets a set of the 3.7i's pull the staples, pop the socks off and take a few detailed pictures.
I'll do the same with my 3.7s and we'll penetrate the ridiculous Veil Of Super Secrecy and end the speculation once and for all.
Then people will be able to make an informed decision regarding this whole upgrade business.

k6davis

« Reply #54 on: 11 Feb 2014, 09:54 pm »
I'm sad to say that I'll be of no help whatsoever.

When I get my pair, I'm not pulling any staples nor popping any socks!  :lol:

Of course, before long, we'll all know what the changes are....

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:24 pm »
If someone else wishes to assist, the offer stands.
It's not too difficult to do and it would benefit quite a few people, I'm sure.
The information will have to come from the owners.

teiki arii

« Reply #56 on: 17 Feb 2014, 04:28 pm »
Hello everybody,
since I live in France, I won't be able to get this update from 37 to 37i. I can't mail them because their email is not working. So I am very interested in improvement and photos about it.
Best regards.

My Magnepan 37 works with updated Threshold SA/6e but better with Cast Duelund 0.68 Ohm resistor on "medium attenuator" only. I tried to put on tweeter attenuator but It doesn't work properly in that configuration.. 8)

rw@cn

« Reply #57 on: 18 Feb 2014, 03:42 pm »
If I remember, I'll call the gent at the Listening Room this Saturday and see what he has to say.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #58 on: 18 Feb 2014, 04:54 pm »
Why don't you give Magnepan a call and ask them yourself?

rw@cn

« Reply #59 on: 18 Feb 2014, 05:19 pm »
Why don't you give Magnepan a call and ask them yourself?

Sorry, my comment was directed to the silence about the 3.7i.  :duh: If the folks from Magnepan won't talk to anyone else, they probably won't talk to me.  :green:

I think that a dealer just might have both 3.7 models on the floor and would be able to comment. It is probably too soon to expect this, but a telephone call only takes a few minutes.