Your daily driver :)

GT Audio Works

Re: Your daily driver :)
« Reply #180 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:25 pm »

My 92 Volvo 240
Purchased new and still running like a fine clock.
My 3 newborn children each had their first ride home from the hospital in its back seat.
Same kids took their drivers tests with it.
I have no intention of selling it.
Greg

rpf

« Reply #181 on: 22 Sep 2015, 02:25 pm »

My 92 Volvo 240
Purchased new and still running like a fine clock.
My 3 newborn children each had their first ride home from the hospital in its back seat.
Same kids took their drivers tests with it.
I have no intention of selling it.
Greg

8)  How many miles, Greg?

GT Audio Works

« Reply #182 on: 22 Sep 2015, 02:50 pm »
somewhere around 189,000 mi
she's got some good miles left in her yet.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #183 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:19 pm »
(On the bright side, there must be a Volkswagen joke in here somewhere....  :-P )
Ok, one more.

JohnR

« Reply #184 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:35 pm »
Hi Bob, the video you linked made me crack up.  :thumb:

I'll get more news tomorrow. It could be easy as pie... (could be....) !

JoshK

« Reply #185 on: 22 Sep 2015, 04:52 pm »
I commute via Subway to work as I live right downtown Toronto, but this is my toy/errand

drmike

« Reply #186 on: 22 Sep 2015, 05:27 pm »
hey greg,
I've had six 240 Volvos, current one has 365k on the original motor, looking for a red 93 wagon.
great car!
drmike in nh

GT Audio Works

« Reply #187 on: 22 Sep 2015, 05:48 pm »
hey greg,
I've had six 240 Volvos, current one has 365k on the original motor, looking for a red 93 wagon.
great car!
drmike in nh
Yeah, its been a great ride. It still drives better than my 2010 Mazda.
A few electrical issues over the years... overdrive relay,  poor connections here and there, The worst fuse holder ever made !!

Was pricey in its day. I recall paying $20k new. Usual  maintenance costs aside, I can't complain about 19 years without a car payment !!

365K on original motor ? WOW !!  That's a lot of timing belts over the years !

FireGuy

« Reply #188 on: 22 Sep 2015, 05:54 pm »
With the right systems on... no traffic issues.    My other job though it's a 2006 CTS.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #189 on: 22 Sep 2015, 07:48 pm »
..... no traffic issues.  .....
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  yea, I guess not.  :thumb:
Thank you for what you do Sir. It is appreciated and respected. 

Bob

kenreau

« Reply #190 on: 22 Sep 2015, 11:04 pm »
Yeah, its been a great ride. It still drives better than my 2010 Mazda.
A few electrical issues over the years... overdrive relay,  poor connections here and there, The worst fuse holder ever made !!

Was pricey in its day. I recall paying $20k new. Usual  maintenance costs aside, I can't complain about 19 years without a car payment !!

365K on original motor ? WOW !!  That's a lot of timing belts over the years !

I've got an '87 740 GL Sedan.  Purchased 4 years ago from original owner (late 80's age) moving into a retirement home.  It was a garage queen that only had 60,000 original miles on it.  Had it completely serviced, timing belt, tires, complete exhaust, most stuff from it just sitting and lack of use.  Surprisingly, it has a the original (or near original) battery in it that works as new.

One continual issue we have with it is keeping the rear tail lights functioning.  They are continually blowing bulbs.  2 years ago, I bought complete new tail light replacement assemblies.  What I've learned is the tail light housing is a very poor design.  The flexible plastic / copper foil circuit, ratchet twist in light bulb holders and the plastic (red) housing traps too much heat causing short bulb life, cracks and water leaks (start of the spiraling failures)  Do you guys have similar tail light issues on your Volvo's?  I've considered building custom "guts" of LED replacement parts, but not enough time to work on it currently.

Kenreau

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #191 on: 22 Sep 2015, 11:39 pm »
Funny you mention the taillights. I told a very nice little old lady just today that her '87 240 needs brake light circuit boards to pass state inspection and Volvo doesn't make them anymore. I told her I'd try to find some in the aftermarket that she could buy online and bring them to me (since we don't have a company C/C). She's not very happy with me right now.  :|

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #193 on: 23 Sep 2015, 01:04 am »
Thanks Jerry, yea...I put the part number in Google and found a place that sells them (a few dollars higher than yours), but I told her she needed to buy them, and we'd install them.
Well....She thinks we're a halfassed company for even asking her to do that.  :duh:

milford3

« Reply #194 on: 23 Sep 2015, 01:09 am »
With the right systems on... no traffic issues.    My other job though it's a 2006 CTS.

I have no traffic issues too.

kenreau

« Reply #195 on: 23 Sep 2015, 08:18 pm »
Thank you.  I don't think my failure issue is the circuit itself, but the light socket (with bulb) twist lock in to it.  The metal tangs on the light socket just don't keep proper tension to the cooper traces and I suspect with the road vibrations, etc. they are continually taxed and loosening and not making good electrical connections.  I may look into soldering them to the cooper with a light gauge wire.  It definitely needs some garage mechanic trial and error fix'n.

Thanks
Kenreau

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/7449/Tail-Light-Circuit-Board-Driver-Side-1312420/?gclid=CNmJqpLxi8gCFURlfgodhXgH9Q

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/7450/Tail-Light-Circuit-Board-Passenger-Side-1312421/

Nice of you to look out for the little old ladies, Bob.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

KLH007

« Reply #196 on: 23 Sep 2015, 09:07 pm »
My DD is a silver 2006 Subaru WRX STI with Stage 2 mods, 310 HP at the wheels, fun.

mkane

« Reply #197 on: 1 May 2016, 10:42 pm »

chili555

« Reply #198 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:41 pm »
Mine is a 2011 BMW M3.

lowtech

« Reply #199 on: 25 Jul 2016, 07:26 am »