Hi, new member chiming in.

TrueAudio

Hi, new member chiming in.
« on: 24 Jul 2016, 04:25 pm »
Hello all, I've been a lurker around here for quite a while, my main interest has been power conditioning.

Became an audiophile at 19 years of age.

1st equipment acquired:

"Olson" receiver with teak wood enclosure
MCS cassette deck (Modular Component Systems) with VU meters.
Some junk speakers not worth mentioning, 1st real beer budget speakers were Sound Dynamics 300ti's I bought from Audio Advisor in the 90's.
Marantz 1060, 1070 integrateds (thought these were awesome back then with their loudness button.)
Also had a vintage Kenwood receiver, forget the model.

Soon realize Power amplifiers blew away receivers.

Next up was Harman Kardon HK870 power amp and the matching preamp (825?) and some tuner that came with it, bought all 3 for $500ish.

Later got a Marantz 240--not really all that great.

Fast forward some years:

PSB Stratus Gold i's
Aragon 4004 MKII power amplifier
Conrad-Johnson Premier 14 tube preamp eventually replaced by a custom made passive level control that was a fraction of the price and completely blew away the CJ pre in transparency and neutrality.
McIntosh MR78 FM tuner
Later got another amp:  Electrocompaniet AW 250, which was later replaced by a slightly modified Carver ZR1600 switching amp, on the recommendation of former PS Audio engineer Stan Warren.  Also had an Aiwa multi disc cd changer modded by him

Tice Solo A/V, Tice Solo Line Enhancer, Tice Solo Video Power Conditioner.

Later got a hold of apparently now very very rare, Promethean Power-flo designed by Bill Seneca.  Interesting design as internally it looked like it had a huge choke, balun?  Plus an elaborate capacitor array of what I remember where MIT multicaps or something.

Around this time I heard about the powervar from audiogon, and ended up getting a 12A one.

Did a lot of research over the years and came to realize series mode surge protection was the way to go.  I've used Zerosurge 20A units now since 2002 or so.  No issues with them or anything plugged into them.  Current PLC:  Zenwave audio modified Surgex 1120.  Also wanted to isolate my digital gear/TV from it so into that I'm going to plug in a Richard gray Pole Pig (which I might see if I can have the outlets replaced with Furutech GTX-D R Nano, and the IEC upgraded).

Current system now other than that is really beer budget for the moment, but it is fine for now.

I got out of the hobby for a long time after getting really discouraged after hearing a system that made mine sound like a clock radio by comparison, realizing how much it would cost me at the time, I just said "I'm done with this."

I forget the speakers the guy had, but the main thing was his playback system, which was at the time, a prototype computer playback system called VRS Revelation, which used a Lynx L22 soundcard (iirc) and had a custom made pure silver wound transformer made by Jack Elliano that acted as a potentiometer, and was built right into the computer case (the basic prototype I think was around $4,000 at the time, his best units were upwards of 10K).  So they were playing ripped tracks from this highly modified PC, driving a McIntosh MC240 tube amp, and I could not believe the sound.  It was like vinyl yet with the signal to noise ratio of digital.  I swear to God, when a singer paused singing, you could hear the saliva smacking on their lips and could feel the emotion on their faces, it was scary real.  A friend of mine said it sounded like "the master tape itself".  After I heard that, I shelved my hobby for along time and just learned to appreciate what one has because that stuff was way out of my price range.  But now, "I'm back", and I'm moving pieces into place at my own pace to create an awesome "beer budget" system.

I have found much informative information on this site, and this is where I found out about Zenwave Audio.  I am Dave's 1st customer who had a Surgex 1120 specifically modified with no power switch, and no convenience outlet, along with black powdercoat finish.  I have had the unit for a few months now, and I think it is amazing, dynamic, sonically invisible, attractive piece. 

For me, this has become a more enjoyable hobby once I've become immune to all the snake oil stuff through trial and error and finding out who the real experts have been in the past, and are presently, and most of all, use your ears.

brooklyn

Re: Hi, new member chiming in.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2016, 06:18 pm »

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2016, 06:28 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2016, 06:34 pm »
I'm old enough to remember some of those.

I spent many fun hours as a youth browsing and picking up bargains at Olson Electronics in downtown Akron, Ohio.  (Irving Olson was a good friend of my parent's friends and lived in my neighborhood).  I also remember the MCS electronics, JC Penny's house brand, many which were built by Technics division of Matsushita.

My first component stereo was a Lafayette Radio (amp/speakers) and Garrard system.

Welcome aboard.

Steve

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2016, 08:40 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. TrueAudio.

Guy 13

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:25 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC TrueAudio   :thumb: