Bryston Headphone Interface

MellowVelo

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #540 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:17 pm »
From a little more looking, it seems that there is no "standard" for balanced output.  I guess the two major options are singe 4 pin Neutrik or double 3 pin combo Neutrik.

Steve

You're absolutely right that there's no standard, mostly because balanced headphones are still rather cutting-edge. The lack of a standard often creates confusion, as we're seeing in this thread.   :scratch:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #541 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:28 pm »
I claim no expertise on this matter, but I'm not sure that the above statement is entirely correct. As far as I understand headphones with balanced drive, some setups actually carry a fully-balanced signal (both normal and inverted signals) all the way to each driver coil. The following is a photo taken from the Headroom website:

The original is at http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/balanced-drive-faq.php

As you can see, it's not merely left channel, right channel, ground, shield as Anonamemouse states. You can actually carry a balanced signal all the way to the headphones themselves.

This is new to me, I did not know this existed. Reading the article it looks very new to me.
I get the feeling that balanced headphones take up a marginal portion of the market though, I for one have never seen one in the wild. I think it is up to James what to do with this.

MellowVelo

« Reply #542 on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:39 pm »
This is new to me, I did not know this existed. Reading the article it looks very new to me.
I get the feeling that balanced headphones take up a marginal portion of the market though, I for one have never seen one in the wild. I think it is up to James what to do with this.

People have been balancing headphones for only about 5-10 years, so it's definitely a new development, and you're right that it still takes up only a marginal portion of the market. At this point, I've only encountered balanced headphones at local meets of headphone enthusiasts. Balanced headphones are just starting to break into the mainstream, and even then it's a rather slow development.

Bryston is the only major audio company of which I'm aware that is producing a balanced headphone amp. So far, all the balanced amps are made by boutique manufacturers; even headphone companies like Grado have not yet manufactured balanced amps. It's very exciting to see Bryston leading the charge in this regard.

SHV

« Reply #543 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:35 pm »
"Bryston is the only major audio company of which I'm aware that is producing a balanced headphone amp."
I haven't seen a comment about the topology of the revised circuit but assuming it is balanced, then a 4 pin female Neutrik and a 3 pin female Neutrik combo would cover all of the bases except for the double,  3 pin male headphone configuration.  The 4 and 3 pin Neutrik config. has better cosmetics than 4 pin Neurtik and 1/4" TRS and will accommodate both single ended XLR and 1/4" TRS, IMO.  The only "wrong" option appears to be male XLR out.

Steve

smatsui324

« Reply #544 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:36 pm »
Hi

Do not have the 50 ohms yet but here are 2 of the measurements on the BHA-1.

600 Ohms:
Voltage = 24V,
mW 875

32 Ohms:
Voltage = 11.46
mW = 4100

Remember if you were ever to listen at these levels you would do serious damage to either your hearing or your headphones :nono:

james

Hi James,

Do the circuit changes affect the specs that you provided above?  If so, do you have the new specs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #545 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:43 pm »
Hi James,

Do the circuit changes affect the specs that you provided above?  If so, do you have the new specs?

PRODUCT FEATURES:
• Balanced Dual mono circuitry
• High Quality Noble Stereo Volume control– laser trimmed
• Left/Right Balance Control
• 6 Fully discrete Class A Bryston operational amplifiers
• Balanced outputs – 4 pin stereo and dual left/right 3 pin outputs
• Stereo ¼ inch single ended outputs
• 14dB or 20dB of selectable gain available
• All input and output connectors are Gold plated
• 10k input impedance
• Multiple headphone drive capability

POWER OPTIONS:
• Standard: high quality Bryston internal analog power supply
• Optional: MPS-2 power supply also available (replaces internal supply).

Bryston BHA-1 Headphone AMP Specifications
Harmonic Distortion: Less than .003 at 32 ohms at 100mW 20Hz to 20KHz.
IM Distortion: Less than 001%
Signal to Noise: Greater than 105dB
Frequency response: 20 to 20KHz plus or minus .1dB

Weight 8lbs (3.6 kg)

Dimensions:
(H) - 3.125 inches x (W) 17 or 19 inches x (D) 11.25 inches

HI-Z load: 20 Volts into 600 ohms (667mW) at 001% THD + N at 20-20K

Low-Z load: 4 volts into 32 ohms (500 mW) at 001% THD + N at 20-20K

smatsui324

« Reply #546 on: 5 Jan 2012, 08:20 pm »

PRODUCT FEATURES:
• 10k input impedance

POWER OPTIONS:

Weight 8lbs (3.6 kg)

Dimensions:

James,
The specs look quite a bit lower in power than what you quoted before the circuit change or maybe it is the voltage difference that makes it appear lower.  Can you comment on this?  I have 4 orthodynamic headphones that are quite power hungry including the HE6 and I'm concerned now that the amp will not be powerful enough.  Thanks, Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #547 on: 5 Jan 2012, 08:28 pm »
Hi Steve,

Yes we found that we could get much lower distortion with this new circuit but at lower impedance's the voltage goes down a bit.  I have not tried the HE6 myself (currently using Grado 1000) so I can not comment on that.

james

myview

« Reply #548 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm »
Hi James,

1) Like Steve above, I am also using the Hifiman HE-6 headphones which are very power-hungry.  I was very much looking forward to the BHA-1 to give it the power for it to sing.  Since you also own the HE-6, will you mind running a test?  I am sure that quite a few of us would be interested to know the outcome.

2) I notice from the new picture that the BHA-1 has male 3-pin and 4-pin XLR connectors.  Pardon me for speculating that 99.9999% of headphone users will have to reterminate their headphones to use the BHA-1.  Almost all headphone amplifiers I know of have female 3-pin and 4-pin XLR connectors.  This is the so called "industrial standard".  May I know if there is a good reason for Bryston to go against this convention?

PRODUCT FEATURES:
• 10k input impedance

POWER OPTIONS:

Weight 8lbs (3.6 kg)

Dimensions:

SHV

« Reply #549 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:43 pm »
"Almost all headphone amplifiers I know of have female 3-pin and 4-pin XLR connectors.  This is the so called "industrial standard".  May I know if there is a good reason for Bryston to go against this convention?"
I think that you will be able to specify which XLR connections you want, but IMO it's not a good publicity picture to show male connections.  If I wasn't aware of the previous discussion, I would take one look at the out-puts and move on.  The idea of re-terminating or using an adapter isn't very appealing.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #550 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm »
Hi James,

1) Like Steve above, I am also using the Hifiman HE-6 headphones which are very power-hungry.  I was very much looking forward to the BHA-1 to give it the power for it to sing.  Since you also own the HE-6, will you mind running a test?  I am sure that quite a few of us would be interested to know the outcome.

2) I notice from the new picture that the BHA-1 has male 3-pin and 4-pin XLR connectors.  Pardon me for speculating that 99.9999% of headphone users will have to reterminate their headphones to use the BHA-1.  Almost all headphone amplifiers I know of have female 3-pin and 4-pin XLR connectors.  This is the so called "industrial standard".  May I know if there is a good reason for Bryston to go against this convention?

Hi

The unit will be available with either male or female.

I only had the HE 6 on loan so I do not have a pair at this point.

James

mkaiser

« Reply #551 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:05 pm »
Hi James,
Is there a possibility of Bryston making their own balanced and RCA headphone cables?

Thanks,

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #552 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:11 pm »
Hi James,
Is there a possibility of Bryston making their own balanced and RCA headphone cables?

Thanks,

Mark

As a matter of fact we were thinking the same thing :thumb:

James

BrysTony

« Reply #553 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm »
I suppose the shock that a child will get when they touch the pretty gold pins on the front panel will be mild.  Maybe there are some caps that could be provided if by chance someone wants one with the male pins.

Tony

mkaiser

« Reply #554 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:22 pm »
As a matter of fact we were thinking the same thing

James

Great minds think alike. Well if you do i'll be the first in line. Congrats on getting this project to the manufacturing stage.

Mark

smatsui324

« Reply #555 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm »
Hi Steve,

Yes we found that we could get much lower distortion with this new circuit but at lower impedance's the voltage goes down a bit.  I have not tried the HE6 myself (currently using Grado 1000) so I can not comment on that.

james
James,
The changes to lower distortion may be great for Grados and other high sensitivity headphones but not so great for power hungry orthos like the Audeze LCD2/LCD3 or the HiFiMan HE6.  If I am interpreting the specs correctly, the power output of the BHA-1 has been changed from 4100mW to 500mW at 32 ohms.  That is a huge decrease in power.  Unless you can convince me otherwise, I will be cancelling my order because I don't think this amp will now meet my needs.
Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #556 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:15 am »
James,
The changes to lower distortion may be great for Grados and other high sensitivity headphones but not so great for power hungry orthos like the Audeze LCD2/LCD3 or the HiFiMan HE6.  If I am interpreting the specs correctly, the power output of the BHA-1 has been changed from 4100mW to 500mW at 32 ohms.  That is a huge decrease in power.  Unless you can convince me otherwise, I will be cancelling my order because I don't think this amp will now meet my needs.
Steve

Hi Steve

Yes I would cancel your order because we are staying with the newer design.

James

myview

« Reply #557 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:23 am »
Hi James,

It is such a pity! (but you can loan them again, can't you?  :icon_lol:)

Grados headphones are generally very easy to drive that even portable headphone amps can drive them more than adequately.

The challenge is for amps in general (and more specifically for me, BHA-1) to adequately drive the planar magnetic (also called orthodynamic) headphones - think mini Magneplanar/Maggie speakers against the ears.  These headphones are all the rage now for good reason and my feel is their popularity will continue to increase - provided there are enough powerful amplifiers to drive them.

I really really hope BHA-1 with its revised lower power can do the job well.  I have already placed an order for it.

(Question to self: if after extensive testing, it is found that BHA-1 cannot drive all my headphones well, should I sell it and buy other amps that can, or do I keep the BHA-1 and sell all my headphones and buy new ones...?  :o)

Hi

The unit will be available with either male or female.

I only had the HE 6 on loan so I do not have a pair at this point.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #558 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:29 am »
Hi James,

It is such a pity! (but you can loan them again, can't you?  :icon_lol:)

Grados headphones are generally very easy to drive that even portable headphone amps can drive them more than adequately.

The challenge is for amps in general (and more specifically for me, BHA-1) to adequately drive the planar magnetic (also called orthodynamic) headphones - think mini Magneplanar/Maggie speakers against the ears.  These headphones are all the rage now for good reason and my feel is their popularity will continue to increase - provided there are enough powerful amplifiers to drive them.

I really really hope BHA-1 with its revised lower power can do the job well.  I have already placed an order for it.

(Question to self: if after extensive testing, it is found that BHA-1 cannot drive all my headphones well, should I sell it and buy other amps that can, or do I keep the BHA-1 and sell all my headphones and buy new ones...?  :o)

Hi

I can not really say how well the BHA will drive the orthodynamic phones without trying them myself so I would recommend canceling your order until I can be more certain for you.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #559 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:07 pm »
Have a pair of the Hi-Fi Man HE500's and Audeze LCD2 on the way for testing.

james