Looking for recommendations for 55" or 60" flat screen

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
My beloved Samsung 50" plasma behemoth (very heavy @ 110 lbs) "bit the dust" tonight... Picture went black with a terrible odor of electrical ozone... my guess is the internal power supply...

Can anyone recommend a 55" or 60" flat screen? I really liked plasma but I guess they're "unobtainum" now... I guess I'd like a Smart TV and something simple...

Thanks in advance,
Pete

kingdeezie

Re: Looking for recommendations for 55" or 60" flat screen
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2015, 01:39 am »
55 inch LG OLED. Better picture than Plasma and LED/LCD. I think the 1080p version is hovering around 2k or so.

Expensive, but unbeatable black levels, and contrast.

RPM123

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2015, 01:51 am »
Bummer Pete! The LG OLEDs have the best picture, but they are pricey. Unfortunately, the less expensive versions only come in a curved screen. The higher end versions are also curved, but LG is supposed to release flat screen versions of them later this year..from what I've read. Good luck!

Glenn

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2015, 03:31 am »
Any reports on burn in with OLED? When I saw a Samsung OLED at BB the sales guy said they had to open another box because the previous screen had burn in issues.

Sucks that the more affordable LGs are curved.

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2015, 05:38 am »
Any reports on burn in with OLED? When I saw a Samsung OLED at BB the sales guy said they had to open another box because the previous screen had burn in issues.

Sucks that the more affordable LGs are curved

From the AVS forum last year:

"Even without burn-in the OLED pixels do not age evenly, the blue pixels are particularly prone to premature aging so the colour balance shifts over the months and not evenly across the screen so hard to correct for. This is why OLED displays on phones are often very blue to start with to delay their yellowing, as being too blue is less objectionable than dirty yellow, and this is on phones where the display isn't used for long periods and they typically get replaced every couple of years.

This is what is stopping OLED becoming mainstream as the TVs will not last long with typical household usage (being left on even if not watched) leading to complaints and potential law suits for faulty products. So they keep them very high priced to further R&D to overcome the ageing issues while stopping them from being too popular until the issues are resolved. People who spend a lot on these OLED TVs are typically in the know about their limitations and accept them."

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1534360-oled-screen-burn.html

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2015, 05:52 am »
Sony bad, Samsung good.... 8)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2015, 11:15 am »
My beloved Samsung 50" plasma behemoth (very heavy @ 110 lbs) "bit the dust" tonight... Picture went black with a terrible odor of electrical ozone... my guess is the internal power supply...

Can anyone recommend a 55" or 60" flat screen? I really liked plasma but I guess they're "unobtainum" now... I guess I'd like a Smart TV and something simple...

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Sorry for your loss. RIP
How years it served you?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2015, 12:56 pm »
I recently bought a new LG (Lucky Gold Star) 55" curved screen OLED 4G TV.  Curved screen seems to eliminate room and light reflections that the flat screen Sony it replaced was plagued with.  Only 3" wider then 40" Sony because it is all picture, no borders at all.

Astonishing picture quality.  I make sure screen savers come on promptly to avoid burn in.

Interesting ---  Burn In good for audiophile components, bad for TVs.  ??  :)

Frank Van Alstine

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2015, 11:38 pm »
55 inch LG OLED. Better picture than Plasma and LED/LCD. I think the 1080p version is hovering around 2k or so.

Expensive, but unbeatable black levels, and contrast.

+1. According to a recent LG training seminar I attended supposedly the panel / technology that LG uses doesn't have this blue pixel problem. Something apparently Samsung struggled with and why they abandoned temporarily OLED. So LG has the lead now, but starting next year you'll likely see Samsung, Sony et al get back in the OLED game. Well, that's if the LG training guys are to be believed. Seeing a TOTL Samsung vs an LG OLED, I had to give the nod to the LG for color saturation and back levels.

Another interesting thing I learned is that curved panels are easier / cheaper to make : getting a large screen nice and flat requires more rigidity / complication / expense. Interesting of Samsung to try to make a virtue of curved screens as "more immersive" to masquerade that fact.

brooklyn

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2015, 09:34 pm »
I recently purchased a plain vanilla Samsung 55” 1080p Led Flat Screen TV.. I only
watch dvd’s (Blu Ray) with it and the picture quality is amazing. It only set me back
700 clams on sale at Best Buy around a month ago.. Good luck with your search..

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2015, 02:43 am »
I recently purchased a plain vanilla Samsung 55” 1080p Led Flat Screen TV.. I only
watch dvd’s (Blu Ray) with it and the picture quality is amazing. It only set me back
700 clams on sale at Best Buy around a month ago.. Good luck with your search..

Thanks... my wife & kids were anxious for a new set so I picked up a similar TV to yours, 55" Samsung SMART LED... great picture... my wife hated the "Soap Opera Effect" (kind of creepy even with older shows) so I had to turn it off....

Cheers,
Pete

brooklyn

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2015, 03:32 am »
Glad to help…. I really like the Samsung so far, the 55” gives a great movie
experience.. Thanks for mentioning the “soap opera effect” that was driving
me crazy.. I just got finished watching National Treasure 2 with Nicolas Cage.. 

Enjoy

jriggy

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2015, 01:14 pm »
Hey Pete,
What model number Samsung did you get? And can you fully tweak the picture?

I have grown way to tired of the low hum my old fluorescent backlit Toshiba makes and I am more than ready for a new 55"... I was ready to spend the money and get the new LG OLED flat 55" but I was unaware of this blue issue. Guess it's still not time. Unless I want to believe the LG training guys and just go for it...

kingdeezie

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2015, 01:56 pm »
I was ready to spend the money and get the new LG OLED flat 55" but I was unaware of this blue issue. Guess it's still not time. Unless I want to believe the LG training guys and just go for it...

There is no blue issue, as I understand with LGs technology.

Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic were working with an OLED technology that was using the three specific red, blue, and green architecture. Which means there were specific red, green, and blue diodes.

The blue diodes were burning out significantly faster than the red and the green, thus started the issue with there being a "blue light issue."

LG is using a completely different structure. From what I understand, they are using white diodes, and applying red, green, and blue filters over them to get the appropriate colors.

Since, theoretically, this will make the panel degrade uniformly, since all the diodes are producing the same output, the TV should produce a stunning picture for years to come.

There haven't been official lifespan ratings as far as I have seen.  I think I read different estimates at half life being 30-50K hours.

At 8 hours a day of watching TV, that is 10 years.

By that time, there will be cheaper, and better OLEDs that you'll want to purchase anyway.   

brooklyn

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2015, 03:11 pm »
Hi jriggy, below is a link to the model I purchased a couple of months ago.
There are some preset settings as well as being able to tweak to your hearts
content.. So far, I’m pretty happy with my purchase..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/7068146.p?id=1219668746715&skuId=7068146