RCA Shorting Plugs for my Mapletree Linestage inputs?

rockadanny

There are three pairs of inputs, of which I am using only one pair. Do you know if it is safe to put shorting plugs on the other inputs of my Mapletree 2A/SE Linestage preamp?
Anyone do this with success? Failure?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: RCA Shorting Plugs for my Mapletree Linestage inputs?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2015, 12:22 am »
Yes, you can.  I do it with all unused single end inputs.  I got a bunch from Taiwan that actually shorts and not just covers the input.  They work great.  Just don't short any unused outputs. :nono: 

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2015, 12:30 am »
Thanks!
Yes, these actually do short. Got them from Take Five Audio.
I re-checked myself three times to make sure I was NOT installing on outputs.  :roll:

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:46 am »
Been using them for years with noticeable results...report back if there is an improvement.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2015, 02:41 am »
A little off topic, but .... I use a Mapletree phono stage with volume control. It's like the preamp, but without the higher level inputs. Not a bad little unit, but a little closed in on top. Do you find the same with the phono section of the preamp?

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2015, 04:32 am »
Scroof - if you are asking me, mine does not have a phono section. So I cannot answer that one.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2015, 02:32 pm »
Just curious, do these RCA short plugs benefit other components besides the preamp? If you have an amp that you're using the xlr inputs on will these work on the rca input?

ElliottStudio

• Industry Participant
  • I do it because I love to.
    • Elliott Studio Arts
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2015, 06:07 am »
Just curious, do these RCA short plugs benefit other components besides the preamp? If you have an amp that you're using the xlr inputs on will these work on the rca input?

I'm going to say NO to that. The RCA input is usually wired in parallel to pins 1 and 2 of the XLR, so if you short the RCA plug you're only going to get (-) phase. This will still make sound but it will be single ended and 180 degree out of phase.

--Unless the XLR and RCA have their own individual input circuitry--