Looking for noise-canceling headphone recommendations

TomS

Re: Looking for noise-canceling headphone recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2008, 05:23 pm »
I have the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro and they sound good and block well.  I find for my ears, getting just the right fit for both good bass and comfort is a challenge.  If I were getting in-ears, I might be more inclined to get the custom molded ones next time.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Super-fi-Pro-Earphones-White/dp/B0009Q4PH4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207502305&sr=8-4

saisunil

« Reply #21 on: 7 Apr 2008, 04:05 pm »
Per various posts, the major issues would revolve around:

1. Active Noise Cancelling Vs. Noise Isolation by design
2. Over the ear or in-ear
3. With or without an amp

Since you are an audiophile - you have been warned to steer clear of Bose style active noise cancelling phones ;)
Over the ear or in-ear is a very personal thing. I have a non-audiophile friend - who loves his polk audio speakers and loves his Bose noise cancelling headphones and he does a fair amount of travel to India among other places.

In Ear Monitors will take a few weeks of getting used to.
The advantages are - small size (you can put them your pocket while going through security or other posts in airports) and they provide natural sound isolation.

I use Livewires IEM with iMod and Xin head amp using a headroom giga (I think) bag that I carry during my commute.
If you want to go straight to ipod (without an external amp) Atrio M5 by Future Sonics is excellent (I have used them). They are colored but they work quite well without an amp.
Depending on your budget you could go all the way to Shure SE530 that has a very useful Push To Hear unit - so you don't have to remove the IEMs when you want to communicate with the external world. People say that Shure PHT type phones seems to work well with or without an amp.
There are several types of tips of various sizes, I am sure you will be able to find your size.

I highly recommend that you consult folks at ttvj.com or headphone.com
You get good advise along with 30 day return / exchange policy in case you want to go in a different direction. Both carry large enough selection in wide price range.

Good Luck!
Sunil

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 7 Apr 2008, 08:15 pm »
Well I just bought a brand new pair of Shure SE530PTH off eBay for less than the Bose QC3's cost.   :thumb:

Hopefully I can get used to having headphones in my ear canal and this will be the final solution.

Thanks again for all of the great comments and suggestions.

George

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2008, 08:22 pm »
Very good score! (according to Headroom): http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/

congratulations  :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2008, 08:26 pm »
If you don't object to earphones as opposed to headphones, I'd look into Etymotic earphones which have high noise isolation due to their snug fit in the ear canal as opposed to phase cancellation which I believe Bose uses.  Physically isolating the music from ambient noise as opposed to phase cancelling the noise would seem a truer or cleaner method.  The high noise isolation of the Etymotic earphones should allow for listening at lower levels; less likely to have to listen at potentially harmful levels.  I wish I could offer first hand experience but I have not heard the Ety's.  I plan to pick up a pair of ER6i earphones to use while flying or in the bus with my iPod.  They can be had at discount on eBay for around $90. I can say that Mead Killion, owner/founder of Etymotic is very well respected in audiology and acoustics circles. 

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.aspx

Etymotic is a good name, much more reasonable than Bose, which in many's opinion is too pricey (advertising sells! is how I look at Boses!).  Noise isolation definitely is desirable from the perspective of fidelity, but how the eagplugs fit in one's ears is a challenge sometimes.  I was recently on 2 international trips, to Australia and Africa, from the east coast, using one of those little MP3 music players, and did NOT have a noise-cancellation headphone.  It was not very enjoyable in that the music was highly corrupted with the ambient noise in the cabin.  So I just bought a little Phillips nose-cancellation earphones, and see how it works.  After rebate, it cost me only $5 from buy.com, with Google checkout ($10 reduction, off the $14.99 price, dirt cheap).  I tested the phones.  While the music coming off the phones is somewhat disorted, but it's bearable.  Not sure how it'll function in a plane cabin yet.  

I often wonder, is it worthwhile to spend $200, $300 to listen to MP3 type of music?  I presently use a Sensa player.  I suppose it's similar to an iPod.  One cannot expect hi-hi-fi coming off these gadgets (I can be dead wrong.  The iPod may be a true hi-fidelity player?).  So, is it worth spending $300 for?   :drool:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 7 Apr 2008, 08:35 pm »
Etymotic is a good name, much more reasonable than Bose, which in many's opinion is too pricey (advertising sells! is how I look at Boses!).  Noise isolation definitely is desirable from the perspective of fidelity, but how the eagplugs fit in one's ears is a challenge sometimes.  I was recently on 2 international trips, to Australia and Africa, from the east coast, using one of those little MP3 music players, and did NOT have a noise-cancellation headphone.  It was not very enjoyable in that the music was highly corrupted with the ambient noise in the cabin.  So I just bought a little Phillips nose-cancellation earphones, and see how it works.  After rebate, it cost me only $5 from buy.com, with Google checkout ($10 reduction, off the $14.99 price, dirt cheap).  I tested the phones.  While the music coming off the phones is somewhat disorted, but it's bearable.  Not sure how it'll function in a plane cabin yet. 

I often wonder, is it worthwhile to spend $200, $300 to listen to MP3 type of music?  I presently use a Sensa player.  I suppose it's similar to an iPod.  One cannot expect hi-hi-fi coming off these gadgets (I can be dead wrong.  The iPod may be a true hi-fidelity player?).  So, is it worth spending $300 for?   :drool:

I don't listen to heavily compressed MP3's on my iPod.  I am willing to sacrifice the number of available songs on my iPod for the quality of the songs.

I agree that if you are playing heavily compressed MP3's on your portable device, it probably doesn't make much sense to spend hundreds on headphones.

George

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #26 on: 7 Apr 2008, 09:05 pm »
Can't ask for "hi-fi" in a cabin really!  Thanks, George. :drool:

saisunil

« Reply #27 on: 7 Apr 2008, 09:32 pm »
Can't ask for "hi-fi" in a cabin really!  Thanks, George. :drool:

Actually you can get amazing sound from a portable setup:

iMod as a source http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html
+
Portable amp http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=1171
(I just picked an amp fpr example but there are dozens of good headphone amps mostly between $100 and $400
+
good mini to mini cable http://www.headphone.com/products/cables-and-adaptors/interconnects/cardas-6-inch-mini-to-mini-cable.php
+
Good IEMs or over the ear headphones
http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_35

You'd be surprised how good a sound you can get - better than some home systems.
I think this set up may sound better than home system at same $

Cheers

Freo-1

« Reply #28 on: 7 Apr 2008, 11:03 pm »
Etymotic is a good name, much more reasonable than Bose, which in many's opinion is too pricey (advertising sells! is how I look at Boses!).  Noise isolation definitely is desirable from the perspective of fidelity, but how the eagplugs fit in one's ears is a challenge sometimes.  I was recently on 2 international trips, to Australia and Africa, from the east coast, using one of those little MP3 music players, and did NOT have a noise-cancellation headphone.  It was not very enjoyable in that the music was highly corrupted with the ambient noise in the cabin.  So I just bought a little Phillips nose-cancellation earphones, and see how it works.  After rebate, it cost me only $5 from buy.com, with Google checkout ($10 reduction, off the $14.99 price, dirt cheap).  I tested the phones.  While the music coming off the phones is somewhat disorted, but it's bearable.  Not sure how it'll function in a plane cabin yet. 

I often wonder, is it worthwhile to spend $200, $300 to listen to MP3 type of music?  I presently use a Sensa player.  I suppose it's similar to an iPod.  One cannot expect hi-hi-fi coming off these gadgets (I can be dead wrong.  The iPod may be a true hi-fidelity player?).  So, is it worth spending $300 for?   :drool:

I don't listen to heavily compressed MP3's on my iPod.  I am willing to sacrifice the number of available songs on my iPod for the quality of the songs.

I agree that if you are playing heavily compressed MP3's on your portable device, it probably doesn't make much sense to spend hundreds on headphones.

George

Yep. If you are not using a lossless format, expensive headphones, such as Shure SCL5, etc, do not really help.

I have an IAudio 7, using FLAC encoded music, and the results with th SCL5 is most excellent.