Multi Rail Power Supply

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Multi Rail Power Supply
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:44 pm »
Whichever one u are not using.  Coin flip?  I'd rather the non-locking, but don't care.  It may work too.

I'll send the locking tomorrow then.

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #21 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:52 pm »
Hi Alan,

Sorry I missed this. I can set up a 4 rail supply for the cMP2 setup as you have described.

Regards
Paul

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:00 pm »
Here is my Mac Mini power supply.  it uses the new SR7EHD case that can fit multirails, as per this thread.  Mine doesn't; it's an 18V5 (adjustable internally 12-24V) 6A built specifically for the rigors of the late 2009 Mac Mini (and compatible with a couple other Minis that use an external ps, but you'd have to ask Paul for specifics).

I've simply changed the mains voltage to 120v (see screwdriver slot on back, next to the fuse) and made sure it powers the Mac Mini.  Serious listening set for over this holiday weekend.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:46 pm »
Here is my Mac Mini power supply.  it uses the new SR7EHD case that can fit multirails, as per this thread.  Mine doesn't; it's an 18V5 (adjustable internally 12-24V) 6A built specifically for the rigors of the late 2009 Mac Mini (and compatible with a couple other Minis that use an external ps, but you'd have to ask Paul for specifics).

I've simply changed the mains voltage to 120v (see screwdriver slot on back, next to the fuse) and made sure it powers the Mac Mini.  Serious listening set for over this holiday weekend.
Sweet!

I just got back from USPS.  You will have the cable on Friday.  What's the difference from what is connected to the unit now and the one I sent you?

I am very much looking forward to your feedback.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:50 pm »
Oh I see that's the mini plug.   :oops:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:48 pm »
Oh I see that's the mini plug.   :oops:

Yeah, it's the Mac Mini proprietary plug.

enyonam

« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm »
Ted_b,  can you share your experience with your new powersupply??

Thanks in advance

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:15 am »
Well, it is dedicated to my late 2009 Mac Mini, and I've had it now for 2 weeks or so.  Wehen first connected I sensed that my Mac Mini sonics had gone somewhat backwards!  :o  It seemed a bot rolled off and a bit washed out, frankly.  I was concerned that either I simply got use to the harsher leading edge and now would have to get use to a duller one, or that maybe it was just the classic break-in period.  Well....2 weeks later and it's now transformed my Mac mini into the best, quietest, most dynamic music server I've ever heard.  The break-in was fairly consistent and gradual, but since I spent those 2 weeks also evaluating the Linux-based Auraliti PK90USB server I was shocked when I finally came back to the Mac Mini full-time.  It made my decision quite easy, frankly.  Nothing against the PK90USB at all, bu the non-Linux friendly Mytek DSD DAC, paired with my new Hynes'd Mac Mini, was making great music, and I am simply going to sell the Auraliti for the discounted $600 I paid 30 days ago (it's now $795).

The MM now has a significantly blacker background, and that aspect alone has freed up detail (micro and macro), a tighter bass response, and a view deeper into the soundstage. 

I have the SR7-18V5 plugged into an older Synergistic Research AC Master Coupler power cord, and then directly into my UberBuss, bypassing the Audience Adept Response AR12 power conditioner.  I am going to leave it that way, at least for now (don't fix what ain't broken).

By the way, Jason was nice enough to send an umbilical from his SR3 and I never got a chance to see if the DC barrel was the correct size...cuz I quickly realized the Hynes end was a completely different incompatible connection.  Mine is a large XLR-style, while the SR3 is more of a screw-on connector.  Oh well, thanks anyway Jason. 

highfilter

« Reply #28 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:53 am »
Thanks for the feedback Ted, been looking forward to your thoughts. Sounds like you hit the sweet spot.

Quick question, were you running the PK90USB standard or did you have an aftermarket supply for that as well?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:04 am »
It was standard power supply.  If you are buying one, I'd make sure you have a few hundred for 3rd party (or soon Auraliti) ps.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 9 Dec 2011, 01:07 am »
It was standard power supply.  If you are buying one, I'd make sure you have a few hundred for 3rd party (or soon Auraliti) ps.
My SR3 will be for sale...   :wink:

highfilter

« Reply #31 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:25 am »

Thanks Ted. I already have a Mac Mini (2011) so a high-quality power supply for that seems like the next toy.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:58 am »
By the way, Jason was nice enough to send an umbilical from his SR3 and I never got a chance to see if the DC barrel was the correct size...cuz I quickly realized the Hynes end was a completely different incompatible connection.  Mine is a large XLR-style, while the SR3 is more of a screw-on connector.  Oh well, thanks anyway Jason.

My pleasure.  It must be worth a try of the SR17 right?   :green:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:03 am »
Thanks Ted. I already have a Mac Mini (2011) so a high-quality power supply for that seems like the next toy.

Of course yours would require a slight mod, cuz it's an internal ps.  Mine was a simple plug and play.

JDUBS

« Reply #34 on: 9 Dec 2011, 05:13 am »
Of course yours would require a slight mod, cuz it's an internal ps.  Mine was a simple plug and play.

Not sure I would characterize the mod as "slight."  Mach2 will do it for like $200.

-Jim

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2012, 07:46 pm »

I have had a few requests for a photo of the SR7EHD custom Multirail Supply. The linked photos are of a four-rail supply. Rail 1 is for the Mac Mini, Rail 2,3 and 4 are customised for the Overdrive DAC. This is the same custom supply I make for the CAPS audio server.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/270512download009.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/270512download015.jpg

Regards
Paul

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 8 Jul 2012, 02:47 pm »
I have decided to post my question here, since we were discussing Paul's new SR7 (and my pics show me as using it for my Mac Mini, at 18.5V).  Note:  I already have this question into Paul, and he is VERY good about answering, but it's the weekend and I'm a little worried about my issue below.

Well, I have become enamored with the sound of my Auraliti PK90USB (MPD linux server/player) and bought a used SR3-12 to power it nicely.  As I became more enamored, I asked Paul if my SR7-18V5 would be overkill; he responded that there is no such thing :)  and that my larger PS would improve it.  Problem is, I had to have Paul make me a new dc lead (XLR to 2.5mm) and have him walk me through dialing it down to 12V.

My umbilical arrived yesterday, so I decided to give it a try.  With much trepidation (I'm an electrically phobic person) I took off the front panel and put my very cheap Radio Shack battery powered $10 multi-meter on the XLRs (pin one ground, pin 4 +ve).  There is a very small blue multi-turn potentiometer just behind the front panel heatsinks (you can see it in Paul's pic above) with a small screw on its top.  Well, it took like 20+ counter-clockwise turns to move the needle far enough but I have it at 12V as close as I can get, given the poor analog display of my meter.  My concern is that I would assume the Rat Shack meter to be very inaccurate at a granular level, so not sure if there is a risk or a sonic penalty if my PS is now 12.2V or 11.8V.  Net/net, it works so far, and the PK90USB actually already sounds more organic, with better PRAT.  Maybe I'll borrow a good digital meter to see what I ended up with??

EDIT:  Paul responded today with this email:
Ted,
I would be surprised if you cause damage with +/- 0.2v on the nominal voltage.
Regards
Paul

serengetiplains

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jul 2012, 06:25 pm »
I wouldn't be concerned at all about that voltage difference, Ted.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #38 on: 8 Jul 2012, 06:35 pm »
Ted,

I agree as others have said, you shouldn't have an issue at all. In fact my latest Mac mini supply build wasn't exactly 18.5V either. It is a hair under 18V. My Mac mini could care less since it can accept at least 12V but no more than 18.5V.

See here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65332.msg1106694#msg1106694

Anand.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 8 Jul 2012, 07:03 pm »
Thanks all.    :thumb:  Yes, Auraliti responded with the same thing:
The board can easily handle +/- 10% on  the supply. It has on board regulators for all of the internal loads.
I believe it will work from 8V to 19V actually but the 12v supply is used for an onboard supply for drives so its limited to the standard drive spec. I would not give this issue a second thought.