Intro into audio circle

Frank2532

Intro into audio circle
« on: 4 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm »
Hello All,
I've decided to try my hand at a new hobby. Probably could have found a cheaper one but since I spent most of my late teens and twenties seeing live music I figured it was time to get serious with my home audio. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Intro into audio circle
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2015, 10:36 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Frank2532.  :beer:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2015, 12:02 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Frank2532   :thumb: 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2015, 12:43 am »
Hello, Frank. Welcome to AC!

Pull up a chair and share with us what you've got or what you seek. This is a great place to get ideas and/or find ways to spend money (as I have discovered myself!).

Michael

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2015, 01:46 am »
Hello Frank, welcome to AC!

Frank2532

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2015, 03:51 am »
Thanks everyone

Up until a couple days ago my plan was to go for a 3.1 system. I wanted bookshelves with a center and a sub. I'm starting from scratch and was just doing research and was all set on the Sierra 1s but I can accross a great deal on Salk song towers qwt.  I should be getting them next Friday,  super siked about it.  Still looking for an AVR. I've been looking on accessories for less and want either a denon or Yamaha. Any do's or dont's I should consider matching the song tower qwt with an AVR?
Thanks again

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2015, 04:17 am »
Hi,

Great first speakers and you won't be disappointed.  If you would consider a cheap intregrated amplifier you can't go wrong with a Virtue Audio One.3.

Cheers Rod

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2015, 05:18 am »
Frank,

Those are nice speakers.

My HT system has been 3.1 ever since my dear wife turned into a martian. Apparently there was something a bit odd about the surround speakers I almost succeeded in mounting above our sofa. Sigh. They've been boxed up ever since.  :o

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my Audio by Van Alstine (AVA) 240/3 amplifier (120w/channel x 3 channels). I've got a Nuforce AVP-18 pre/pro and an Oppo 103. I've been pretty content with this setup.

Of course, there are plenty of other choices. Look around; kick some tires. Decide on your budget before it decides for you.  :wink:

Have fun!

Michael

mca

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2015, 05:52 am »
If you are going to be listening to a lot of music, you should look into an Anthem AVR, I love my MRX710.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2015, 11:12 am »
If you're serious about movies, do look into a matching center channel amp/speaker.  For movies the center channel speaker the most important speaker in your system.  It contains the lion's share of sound and nearly all the dialogue.  Some will say that two speakers (particularly if they image well) can substitute for having a center channel, but it just ain't the same (even if that center channel speaker is fairly lame).  And matching the tweeters (called timbre matching) is critical to getting a good blend with the left and right front channel speakers (far less critical for any rear channels to timbre match as they primarily only pick up ambience/special effects). 

Against common thinking, I'd recommend against the typical MTM horizontal arrangement for the center channel.  Two competing mid/woofers smear (identical signals that don't arrive at the same time will be out of phase with each other) when listening at non-equal distances.  For vertical MTM arrangements (like your Song Towers) this means listening at mid-height between the drivers (tilting the speaker can adjust for listener height).  But horizontal MTM means listening only directly in front of the speaker.  Put together vertical and horizontal MTM would result in only a very small sweet spot (like literally being in the crosshairs of rifle scope).  Since home theater is often enjoyed as part of a group, this becomes more important.  I've tried a small MTM speaker on the center channel versus a slightly larger 2-way (turned on it's side to fit) and the 2-way smoked the MTM (both from the same manufacturer).

So my recommendation to you Frank is to save yourself some money and space by having Salk build you a single 2-way SongSurround.

(mresseguie, you should have installed in-wall speakers for those rear channels and painted the grills to blend with the wall)