Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #60 on: 31 Dec 2015, 12:35 pm »
James,

Will the 4bsst3 have the bit technology like the 7b, 14b?

Thanks
Tony

Sorry Tony just realized you meant the specialized BIT transformers - only the 7B 14B and 28B have the BIT transformers.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #61 on: 31 Dec 2015, 12:42 pm »
We are looking at that and at this point I believe so.

james

Very interesting. So do you think it would be a complete upgrade internally or only partial i.e. more of a SST2.5 rather than a SST3? What about faceplates for the upgraded SST2's, can the new one be equipped or is that not possible?

Do you have any pics of the back of the 7's and/or 28's if the back plate is changing? Hopefully the back of the 7's was redesigned to offer 2 sets of binding posts like the 28's and that they are centered. If it's still only offering 1 set it would be nice cosmetically if they were centered this time around along with the input connectors just like the 28.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #62 on: 31 Dec 2015, 01:00 pm »
Very interesting. So do you think it would be a complete upgrade internally or only partial i.e. more of a SST2.5 rather than a SST3? What about faceplates for the upgraded SST2's, can the new one be equipped or is that not possible?

Do you have any pics of the back of the 7's and/or 28's if the back plate is changing? Hopefully the back of the 7's was redesigned to offer 2 sets of binding posts like the 28's and that they are centered. If it's still only offering 1 set it would be nice cosmetically if they were centered this time around along with the input connectors just like the 28.

Hi

The ugrade if we can offer it would be extensive and would equal a full Cubed version of the amplifiers.

No sorry no shots of the back panel yet - I will try to take some.  The inout stage is completely different so there may be small changes in the rear panel layout.  Sorry only 1 set of speaker outputs on the 7B's.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #63 on: 31 Dec 2015, 04:14 pm »
Hi

The ugrade if we can offer it would be extensive and would equal a full Cubed version of the amplifiers.

No sorry no shots of the back panel yet - I will try to take some.  The inout stage is completely different so there may be small changes in the rear panel layout.  Sorry only 1 set of speaker outputs on the 7B's.

james

Excellent news, well potentially about a complete upgrade of the SST2's, depending on if it can be done like you say.

I'm not sold yet on the new faceplate. The initial shock of that made me instantly panic and inquire on another forum about how much was left of the SST2 production run :) as I do want 3 7's for my system. Getting like new 2nd hand 7B-SST2's won't be much of a problem so I'm going to hold tight and wait to see what the reports are like for the SST3's. If people are finding a noticeable improvement I might jump right in and get the new 7's. I could always send my 28's in for the upgrade but that would be a bit of a nightmare shipping cost wise as those brutes are big and heavy.

So when upgrading SST2's, do we have a choice to keep the original faceplates or get the new ones or do you think the new face plates can't be mounted to the SST2's?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:10 pm »
Found a back panel shot of the new 14B Cubed.

james

mav52

« Reply #65 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:12 pm »
Will this new design bring about a $1000 + increase in price over the say 4BSST2 ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:12 pm »
Excellent news, well potentially about a complete upgrade of the SST2's, depending on if it can be done like you say.

I'm not sold yet on the new faceplate. The initial shock of that made me instantly panic and inquire on another forum about how much was left of the SST2 production run :) as I do want 3 7's for my system. Getting like new 2nd hand 7B-SST2's won't be much of a problem so I'm going to hold tight and wait to see what the reports are like for the SST3's. If people are finding a noticeable improvement I might jump right in and get the new 7's. I could always send my 28's in for the upgrade but that would be a bit of a nightmare shipping cost wise as those brutes are big and heavy.

So when upgrading SST2's, do we have a choice to keep the original faceplates or get the new ones or do you think the new face plates can't be mounted to the SST2's?

I think we can do either - new guts without new face plates or both.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:12 pm »
Will this new design bring about a $1000 + increase in price over the say 4BSST2 ?

Hi

It looks like about a 10% increase.

james

ricmon

« Reply #68 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:21 pm »
That's a surprise. I thought I read a post or two where James has said (I believe in the last year) that Bryston was not working on upgrading their amplifiers.

Me Too!!!!!  :D :D

john1970

« Reply #69 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:31 pm »

james

Hi James,

This is great news.  I have both a 4B SST2 and 9BSST2 that I would like to be upgraded without changing the faceplates.  Keep us posted on the upgrade path.

Best,

John

Rod_S

« Reply #70 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:36 pm »

james

Thanks James, very consistent with the previous series then.

Rod_S

« Reply #71 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:36 pm »

james

Cool, thanks again

mav52

« Reply #72 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:59 pm »
Hi

It looks like about a 10% increase.

james

Cool

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #73 on: 31 Dec 2015, 06:05 pm »

james

Hi James,

I have been wondering something about the triggers on Bryston amps.  Why does the design use a wiring block for the trigger inputs/outputs in lieu of 3.5mm jacks.  I assumed the reason the wiring block were still used on the SST2 amps was because the design has been in production for 8 years.  However, I was a bit surprised to see that the photo you posted of the Cubed amp has a wiring block.  From what I have noticed, all other recent Bryston designs use 3.5mm jacks (e.g., SP3, BDP-2, BUC-1, BDA-3, etc.).

I know it may seem like a silly question, but the use of the wiring blocks requires a user to cut the end off of their trigger cable to connect the amp to the preamp.  The other option is to cut the ends off off 3.5mm female cables and pigtail them off the back of the amp.  Either way, is a bit less elegant and not as quick as if the connections were 3.5mm jacks.

Thank you

Rod_S

« Reply #74 on: 31 Dec 2015, 06:31 pm »
Just thought of another question. I've never had a Bryston item upgraded before, if we send amps in for the upgrade how does that affect the warranty? Does the original warranty just continue on or does the 20 year warranty start anew?

Would the slightly older SST C-Series amps be upgradeable? I've still got a 4B-SST C-series sitting around for backup in the event the amps I have in use now need servicing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 31 Dec 2015, 07:18 pm »
Hi James,

I have been wondering something about the triggers on Bryston amps.  Why does the design use a wiring block for the trigger inputs/outputs in lieu of 3.5mm jacks.  I assumed the reason the wiring block were still used on the SST2 amps was because the design has been in production for 8 years.  However, I was a bit surprised to see that the photo you posted of the Cubed amp has a wiring block.  From what I have noticed, all other recent Bryston designs use 3.5mm jacks (e.g., SP3, BDP-2, BUC-1, BDA-3, etc.).

I know it may seem like a silly question, but the use of the wiring blocks requires a user to cut the end off of their trigger cable to connect the amp to the preamp.  The other option is to cut the ends off off 3.5mm female cables and pigtail them off the back of the amp.  Either way, is a bit less elegant and not as quick as if the connections were 3.5mm jacks.

Thank you

Not sure but I will ask the engineer.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 31 Dec 2015, 07:19 pm »
Just thought of another question. I've never had a Bryston item upgraded before, if we send amps in for the upgrade how does that affect the warranty? Does the original warranty just continue on or does the 20 year warranty start anew?

Would the slightly older SST C-Series amps be upgradeable? I've still got a 4B-SST C-series sitting around for backup in the event the amps I have in use now need servicing.

Hi Rod

It would still have the original warranty.

Only the SST2 can be upgraded.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #77 on: 31 Dec 2015, 07:36 pm »
Since the 4BSST3 is about to be on the shelves, so to speak, there will still be some 4BSST2's available.  Since the SST2"s are discontinued there might be opportunities to get an SST2 at a discounted price.  I would find it hard to believe that that the cubed version offers significant sonic improvements over the squared version unless one has a very critical ear.  Then again maybe I'm wrong, but I will be shopping around for a new discontinued 4BSST2 to replace my 4BST in the second system, giving me two SST2"s to upgrade, if there are rave reviews about the improvements in the cubed version.

drummermitchell

« Reply #78 on: 31 Dec 2015, 08:59 pm »
Hi James,Since you get to listen and evaluate all Bryston products,
What difference do YOU hear between the SST-2 and SST3 amps.
I know evolutionary not revolutionary,I'd be interested on your thoughts of the evolutionary sound change if any,THX.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #79 on: 31 Dec 2015, 09:11 pm »
Hi James,Since you get to listen and evaluate all Bryston products,
What difference do YOU hear between the SST-2 and SST3 amps.
I know evolutionary not revolutionary,I'd be interested on your thoughts of the evolutionary sound change if any,THX.

Hi

So far I feel it offers a more expansive soundstage with really precise image placement and although I do not feel the bass goes any deeper I feel the texture in the lower mids and higher bass frequencies are better - especially string bass and drums.  Still listening and evaluating and trying blind tests so my bias does not get in the mix.

james