Speaker cables and IC's?

chgolatin2

Speaker cables and IC's?
« on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:43 pm »
I am in the market for a set of speaker cables and IC's?  Any good recommendations for the budge minded audiophile?  Looking to purchase used/pre own and my budget is near the $300 for everything...

Have heard of Paul Speltz but their seem to be just a bare wire covered with red paint, they look like coat hanger wires, lol! :scratch:  I have a set of DH Labs Q10 already and Revelation IC's but they are on my other audio setup...

Thanks and happy holidays!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Speaker cables and IC's?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:46 pm »
take a look at audio art cables or used straley cables, also pnf audio makes a great cable.

Val

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2009, 08:57 pm »
My vote is for Signal Cable Analog 2 interconnects and Ultra speaker cables. Great sound for low $ and you can include a set of Magic power cables in your budget.

mca

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2009, 09:02 pm »

gerald porzio

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2009, 09:13 pm »
Blue Jeans for both.

chgolatin2

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2009, 09:13 pm »
blue jean cables are just belden ofc type,yes they are cheap but I would like something a lil bit better...  :scratch:

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2009, 10:00 pm »

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2009, 04:36 pm »
If you want something "a little bit better" than the Belden 89259 (which is not OFC, but actually less expensive ETP, AFAIK), you better be ready to spend two or three times more than $300!  It's the dielectric that makes a big difference, and you aren't going to find foamed teflon in an audio branded cable for anything close to your budget.  I do not like those Canare RCA plugs though.  They sure look nice and work really well, but they do not sound good in my system.  Find yourself some 89259 based IC's that have Bullet Plugs.  Alas, if you want 89259 based speaker cable (Jon Risch's cross connected recipe) I think you'll have to DIY.  There used to be folks selling it assembled, but I think they all realized what a PITA it is to build (for a cable, at least). 

FWIW, there might not be anything wrong with copper wire covered in red paint.  It depends on the "paint".  What you don't want is a a bunch of PVC, and that is what you'll find in the commercial audio world for <$300.  Those thick cables do look fancy though!

Paul

chgolatin2

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:48 pm »
Thanks! Sounds good aa

rlee8394

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:19 am »
Try these for speaker wires. IC's are a bit more expensive:

http://www.anticables.com/order.html

I also use Blue Jean cables. They are fine.

Ron

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2010, 12:12 pm »
Find yourself some 89259 based IC's that have Bullet Plugs.  Alas, if you want 89259 based speaker cable (Jon Risch's cross connected recipe) I think you'll have to DIY.
Paul

Paul,

You can get 89259 based cables for a decent price, I suggest you look at Element cables, Blue Jeans (already mentioned here) and maybe Signal, however, they look like Canare 4S11's to me.

Best,
Anand.

PSB Guy

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:04 pm »
Gotta agree with Blue Jeans cables and ICs. Great quality, great price, no snake oil, and very easy to work with, unlike Anti-Cables.

Mariusz

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2010, 08:45 pm »
I would also add Morrow cables to the pot.
Can be purchased on Agon auction for less then good dinner for two.

Another suggestion would be getting the LAT speaker hook up wire in bulk.
Under $300 and it would be enough for spk. & interconnects.

As far as I know they use the same wire in all of their products.
Two or three sizes to choose from. Can be combine with copper for taste.
Copper for "+" (two treads 21g) and single LAT for "-" works for me with most SD speakers.

Do not spend your last pants on plugs either.
Dayton sells them at reasonable price.
If cash is burning your pockets get bullet plugs.

Best
Mariusz

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2010, 09:39 pm »
Well, if you read and follow things in the Van Alstine circle, then cables don't make a damn bit of difference at all  :lol: :lol: :lol:

:duh:

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2010, 09:53 pm »
The Speltz Anticables speaker cables are very good sounding as well as inexpensive.  For speaker cables, solid single strand wires have worked best for me, I also have the DNM Reson speaker cables.
I use the Blue Jeans Cables LC-1 for low capacitance, for interconnects as well as the Harmonic Technologies Precision Link which is near the bottom in cost of that line of cables. Heartland Cables used to terminate 89259 Beldin w/ Eichmann's for less than you would buy the cable and plugs for.  I just took a look at that site and couldn't find that option.  Too bad.

The Canare RCA plugs are just fine in my experience.  I've read a number of negative comments on this board and others about Blue Jeans Cables interconnects.  I know from trying things out that I personally can't always tell one interconnect from another by listening.  Speaker cables and power chords I can hear pretty significant differences.  I'm sure others will feel differently.   

toobluvr

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:00 pm »
I agree with Mariusz....  Morrow Audio!

I have owned many of the "budget" names mentioned here:  Straley Reality Cable, Art Audio, Spelz Anti-Cable, etc.  (and also much more expensive wire)

Morrow destroys them all...not even close.  Open, spacious, smooth and natural.  Believe the testimonials / hype on his website.  I introduced several friends to it......they ended up selling their much pricier wire.  Careful though....this cable will not sugar coat or hide any upstream problems.

YMMV, but I put my $$ where my mouth is.  My entire system is now cabled with Morrow.

For Interconnect, I also really like Electra Cable E-1.   Very reasonably priced for the sonics.  It will give a deep, smooth, organic, palpable and burnished presentation, if that is what you need.  I keep this one around to "fine tune" the sound as needed when I make system changes.

lcrim

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:19 pm »
I've been meaning to try some Mogami stuff.  It's very popular w/ Pro audio types so it must be decent and its not like audiophile expensive.  I don't know which coax to try, maybe somebody here knows?

lcrim

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm »
This is the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi Circle.  Recommending $200 interconnects is way over the top.

toobluvr

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:33 pm »
$200 interconnects can often be had for 40 to 100 dollars used.

That's cheap and cheerful in my book!

8)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:47 pm »
For the really cheap among us, PM Sonny and ask for his DIY recipe for a better than Blue Jeans cable.  I like the ElectraCables IC, but they seldom come up for sale used.