Does a basic appearance equate to less quality to you?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Does a basic appearance equate to less quality to you?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2009, 11:16 pm »
Do people base the value of what they purchase on how much the parts cost to make something?  Are there parts counters out there?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2009, 11:45 pm »
Do people base the value of what they purchase on how much the parts cost to make something?  Are there parts counters out there?

I think that's part of it, but certainly not all. The design, the usefullness, the availability, the parts count and quality, ergonomics, fit and finish, and the reputation and backing of the maker have a lot to do with perceived value.

You probably can't get there on your first couple of tries. I think it takes a long time and a lot of effort. Don't give up!

AudioSoul

« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2009, 03:53 pm »
  For me, if a piece of equipment looks chinsey, I dont even go any further. I figuer that if a Mfg. doesn't care enough to build his equipment with care and quality I dont want it. To me esthetics means as much to me as sound.......... 8)

mcullinan

« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:10 pm »
Design is a very important part, meaning exterior design. If you are going to charge thousands of dollars for a product it should look the part. Of course sound quality is very important, but their are plenty of products that instill both. And why not... if you spend that much time engineering a fine sounding product why not do the same with what you put it in.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:17 pm »
NO! Well for me its the quality of the circuit design. Tube coice and sonics. Does not have to be eye candy. Yes a plain Jane box may not be pleasing to look at, its the inner beauty of the entire concept. I do not need 1" thick aircraft alum just an enclosure that does not have microphonics is properly grounded and is solid. Love wood faceplates though. I'd rather see the money spent on quality matched 1% tolerence caps, resistors, double "C" core or "R" core trannies, quality connectors, single crystal internal wiring, properly layed out IEC, spkr. term and inputs [ Manlely] than a big fancy knob or cover plate, finish or fancy heat sinks.
    Hey the best sex I eve had was from no super model. Give me the sonics keep the jewelery. My take not intended to be contray.

charles

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:39 pm »
Sure Charles,

Everything seems better when you are four sheets to the wind.  :wink:

Sound quality comes first but looks will be like the extras in your resume that makes a difference.  All other things being equal, I would go with the better looker. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2009, 07:43 pm »
Sure Charles,

Everything seems better when you are four sheets to the wind.  :wink:

Sound quality comes first but looks will be like the extras in your resume that makes a difference.  All other things being equal, I would go with the better looker.

Just two sheets  aa. Agreed all things being equal except the price. If it can be had for the price ofthe no frills device I'm in like Flynn.
   Actually that is why I have such a liking for Nightshades work.  Some day we will get around to trying one out. Would love to demo one at one of our club meetings.

charles

Thump553

« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2009, 04:09 pm »
I'm a huge fan of simple, clean design.  Although I don't own any of their products (too stingy) I greatly admire Apple's design standards.  I detest needless glitz and greatly value intuitive controls.  For example, my previous car was a Saab 900 and I loved it's dash and layout.  I'm currently driving a vastly superior VW, but I hate it's blue light dash and although I've owned it for a year I'm still uncertain what various controls and buttons are for or how they work.

So I'd say a basic appearance equates to more quality to me, generally.

JackD201

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2009, 04:53 pm »

Oh I see a lot of parts counters out there that think they can cobble the same thing together after checking out their Madisound carts. I've come across that do great but I see a lot more that don't. I believe it's a matter of skill. I think Brian will agree that especially with the simplest of circuits, execution is extremely crucial. There's more to a good component than looks, an identical schematic and identical parts. When one bad solder joint can mean the difference between a component that works and a component that fails, one has to realize this.

ZLS

« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2009, 08:46 pm »
    Quality of construction has nothing to do with the simplicity of design. 
    There is a quote referenced by someone here on AC that something should be as simple as it needs to be, but no simpler. 

I would add to basic "appearance" the care and quality of shipping materials used.  The first tangible impression that any of us have of a piece of equipment we have purchased is the shipping materials that are used.  Were they sufficient to do the job?  Did the equipment arrive in working order?  Does it work when you turn it on? 
    All of this has nothing to do with the number of parts, but rather the quality and care of the parts that are used.   

JackD201

« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2009, 11:27 pm »
    Quality of construction has nothing to do with the simplicity of design. 
    There is a quote referenced by someone here on AC that something should be as simple as it needs to be, but no simpler. 

I would add to basic "appearance" the care and quality of shipping materials used.  The first tangible impression that any of us have of a piece of equipment we have purchased is the shipping materials that are used.  Were they sufficient to do the job?  Did the equipment arrive in working order?  Does it work when you turn it on? 
    All of this has nothing to do with the number of parts, but rather the quality and care of the parts that are used.

That goes without saying. I was referring to the quality of assembly.