Used Equipment

Pez

Used Equipment
« on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:40 pm »
Alright First topic! (other than the welcome one which doesn't count. :wink: )

In my opinion the absolute best way to get cheap equipment is right here on AC in the used section or jumping on offers like the one in Herbies circle getting slightly misshapen tenderfoots for half price. Hifi doesn't have to be cheap and crappy or expensive and blissful like the retail stores would have you believe. Your dollar will go so much further if you find gently used products. And most members on this site are absolutley anal-retentive when it comes to cosmetics and the way equipment is maintained.

Accessories are one thing that seems to trade hands quite a bit for very cheap. For instance I got some Penta labs KT88s on a trade.  Herbies Tube dampers for free with purchase with another product and a bunch of other tubes to boot.

What great deals have you found on this site?

(slinks away hoping nobody will notice face-saving attempt to redirect thread.  :oops: )

sts9fan

Re: Used Equipment
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:09 pm »
First topic fail  :(

I will work with ya though.  I got a pair of pro build GR Research AV1+ speakers and stands from this site for $180.  For this money I do not know how I could part with them.  they sound great.  I see lots of used GR stuff come up for good money.   

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:17 pm »
Pez,

Cheap in spirit but not in fact.  You don't belong here. 8)  None of those meet the guideline of this circle.  Don't you think you should list at least one item that you paid less then $350?  I think you should take this post to Cheap-under-5K System Circle.  :wink:

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:22 pm »
Yes this is a fail... big time. I misunderstood the guidelines.  :oops:

Well the Penta Tubes I spent $100 on a trade.  :duh:

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:28 pm »
AC is great source of second hand bargains.
But please keep it within Circle's guidelines.

I bought at least two components which IMO represent great value.
Scott 299b integrated ($225 I believe) with phonostage and Accuphase e202 (solid state - a bit over $450) integrated with two phonostages build-in.

However, I am sure there are other great examples which will fall in Cheap & Cheerful category. :wink:

Mariusz :thumb:

P.S
Please guys make my job easier and keep the thread clean. :wink:

M.

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:37 pm »
Uhh is that better?  :oops:

I really have found that used is the way to go.

Mortsnets

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:40 pm »
Used is almost a requirement in this price range.  Take integrated amps, I can only think of a handful that sell new for $350 or less: Nad 315BEE, some T-amps (not my cup of T) etc.  Anyone think of some others?

But searching Audiogon for used integrateds <= $350 gets over 40 hits, ss and some tube, including:
NAD, Creek, Rega, Arcam, Cambridge, Music Angel, Glow, Fisher, Dared, Scott.

My Cyrus 2 was $150 (cosmetically challenged but sounds great)

Mariusz

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:53 pm »
Used is almost a requirement in this price range.  Take integrated amps, I can only think of a handful that sell new for $350 or less: Nad 315BEE, some T-amps (not my cup of T) etc.  Anyone think of some others?

But searching Audiogon for used integrateds <= $350 gets over 40 hits, ss and some tube, including:
NAD, Creek, Rega, Arcam, Cambridge, Music Angel, Glow, Fisher, Dared, Scott.

My Cyrus 2 was $150 (cosmetically challenged but sounds great)

I hate to break your chops but if you read the guidelines you would find out that integrated with features like head-amp, DAC, phono stage can be as much as $650 (new or used). With full featured integrated all you need is speakers to complete the system. As long as the total system price won't exceed $1000 (+-20%).

I hope this explains it. :wink:

Mariusz :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:19 pm »
Mariusz, I do not envy you.  :lol: It's going to be hard to keep guys like me on topic.

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:41 pm »
Mariusz, I do not envy you.  :lol: It's going to be hard to keep guys like me on topic.

No it won't. :wink:

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2009, 05:02 pm »
Thrift Stores anyone? :green:

Nels Ferre

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2009, 05:39 pm »
Bill Baker (Response Audio/Bella Extreme) once told me he went to a Salvation Army and saw them using a SS McIntosh amp for a doorstop. He bought it for $5. He went back the next day and a McIntosh preamp was being used as the "doorstop of the day." Another fiver and it was his. How's that for cheap and  cheerful?

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2009, 06:18 pm »
Yeah, McIntosh doorstops. Gotta love it.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2009, 07:11 pm »
Thrift Stores anyone? :green:

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the ones around here that's worth getting, IMO.

Pioneer HPM-100s don't interest me.

Mariusz

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2009, 08:19 pm »
There is nice Shanling MC-30 Integrated amp w/CD & Tuner for $599 on Agon from well known dealer.
It comes with manufacturer's warranty.

Mariusz

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2009, 08:51 pm »
Used often (and DIY always) represents an investment of time versus money. 

A friend went through a nearby college campus after finals about 5 years ago (while students were moving out) and scored a pair of working (old and very rough looking) Klipsch speakers for $10.  Like any good hunter, you have to know your prey and then how to skin/process it.

Except for thrift stores there ain't much available within 100 miles as only two pure audio shops remain.  The few other remaining audio shops are now primarily A/V stores and don't handle used anything.  And no retailers around here know squat about single driver speakers, media servers, or 90% of the brands discussed at A/C.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2009, 09:59 pm »
I've had astonishing luck. REL, Red Rose Music, Primare, Vienna Acoustics, Nht, Paradigm, Denon, Sonance, Celestion......

You just have to keep searching.

Happy Hunting.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 7 Sep 2009, 12:39 am »
I was giving the Miniwatt serious consideration but read a couple different reports where people clearly preferred the Virtue Audio in a direct comparison.  Another consideration is power output, the Miniwatt in reality only has 1 usable watt - 2 watts if you can accept 8% distortion - and my mini monitors demand more than a mere watt.

So I bought a used Virtue Audio One for less than the price of a used Miniwatt.  The Virtue is one terrific amplifier, even at its full price.  Which is a good thing, because finding a used one is like winning the lottery.  It rarely happens and only to the lucky ones.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2009, 12:04 pm »
And a pair of DCM monitors yesterday :)

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2009, 12:18 pm »
Thrift shops and rummage sales in my area?
Scott 299C with case $20
Dynaco Stereo 70 and Pas, all original tubes, $25 the pair
Klipsch Heresy pair, MINT at an auction, $40
CAL CDP w/remote $30 (but it skips)
MAC SS amp and preamp/tuner at an estate sale, $250 the pair (roughly)
Marantz 4470 w/case $20

The sources have kinda dried up lately, and I have little time to look, but I still am in the hunt.