Quad 9AS Active Sale

srb

Quad 9AS Active Sale
« on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:05 am »
With Music Direct currently offering the Quad 9AS Active speaker set at 50% off for $499, these amplified speakers definitely qualify for C&C!

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/quad-9as-active-desktop-speakers

-  True active bi-amplification:  65W LF / 35W HF (130W/70W peak) Class AB each speaker
-  4" Kevlar woofer + 1" fabric dome tweeter
-  Digital inputs (3):  USB, optical, coaxial 24-bit/192kHz
-  Analog line inputs (2):  RCA rear, 3.5mm side
-  Subwoofer output
-  Front touch panel controls on master speaker (power, volume and input)
-  Handheld remote control (power, volume, mute and input)
-  F3 @ 65Hz / F6 @ 47Hz
-  Peak SPL 110dB
-  Magnetic grilles
-  Available in Black, White and Ruby Red

Just add a source!

Quad 9AS Master Front

Quad 9AS Master Rear

Quad 9AS Slave Rear

Quad 9AS Remote

Steve
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2016, 07:47 pm by srb »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Quad 9AS Active Sale
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2016, 10:55 am »
Great find Steve.

These are the cheapest active (not powered like Audioengine) speakers I've seen that include DAC, preamp, remote, and sub output.  When they first came out a couple of years ago they retailed for $1300/pair. 

Haven't heard them.  Saw them on static display at Axpona 2015 ( :( show frustration).

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2016, 04:36 pm »
These are the cheapest active (not powered like Audioengine) speakers I've seen that include DAC, preamp, remote, and sub output.  When they first came out a couple of years ago they retailed for $1300/pair. 

Is there a difference between active and powered speakers?

srb

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2016, 05:38 pm »

Although they can all be called "powered" speakers, generally

Powered Speaker refers to a speaker with an internal single amplifier (or stereo amplifier if providing amplified output to the second speaker of a stereo pair) but still uses a conventional passive crossover between drivers.

Active Speaker refers to a speaker with an electronic line-level crossover and separate amplifiers for each drive unit.  These often perform better as each amplifier is matched to its driver and doesn't have the inherent drawbacks of passive crossovers (power loss, phase problems, etc.).

Some people like to also refer to single full-range driver speakers as "active" because there is no passive crossover "in the way".

Steve

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2016, 05:50 pm »

Yes!  Steve beat me to it.   :thumb:

In design, a powered speaker schematically is identical to a passive speaker: signal goes to each channel of a power amp; then to a crossover; then to each driver.  The advantages of the powered speaker are: 1.) Save money on buying a cabinet; 2.) Manufacturer has chosen a well matched amp for the given speaker (but of course that takes away the consumer's option to pick their own power amp and show it off).  And if you're a tube power amp fan, you're all but stuck with passive speakers.

An active speaker schematically is different: signal goes to the crossover first; then to separate power amps; then from each power amp to a single driver for that power amp.  The advantages are:  1.) The crossover is operating under a low voltage load, allowing it to be much more sophisticated (even allowing it to include DSP); 2.) The power amps can be sized, optimized to each driver (some actives use different power amp topographies for woofer/tweeter); 3.) The power amps are given a simpler/more direct "sensing" of the load to greatly improve synergy; 4.) Dynamic performance can be greatly enhanced; 5.) Frequency response is flatter (an epiphany in itself); 6.) Bass can go deeper/louder.

About 16 years ago I auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair, 2-way stand-mounts) against Paradigm Active 20 ($1600/pair, same drivers/cabinets).  It was no comparison.  Passersby thought the Active 20's were Paradigm Studio 100's ($2200/pair floor standers, but frankly the imaging was better with the Active 20's).  Dynamics weren't comparable.  Frequency response was a revelation.  And the bass gobsmacked everyone in the room.  You can search the web for further discussion.  And note that you can buy/build active speakers of your own, but it's big, somewhat complex, and more expensive.

Keep in mind that roughly 98% of all recording/mixing studios use active speakers to have an accurate portrayal of the sound, while frankly the bottom line for home audiophiles is to be entertained with their chosen colorations.

BTW my two pair of speakers in my audio system are single driver (Brinesacoustics.com M18-F200) and active 2-way (Dynaudio BM5 Mk III).

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2016, 07:07 pm »
I want to fix JLM's post.

Home audiophiles try to repair what the majority of recording/mixing studios (with or w/o active speakers) destroy.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2016, 08:26 pm »
I want to fix JLM's post.

Home audiophiles try to repair what the majority of recording/mixing studios (with or w/o active speakers) destroy.

+1

skifasterslc

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2016, 09:58 pm »
after owning / listening to probably 6-8 different 2 way monitors a number of years ago, I settled on quad 12 L as my fav...
then i got a pair of 12L active  I have not changed speakers for 6 years now......

JLM could not have said it better

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2016, 10:34 pm »
Openly baffled and rajacat posts reflect the biggest disconnect between the recording industry and audiophiles, neither of which understand the other.   

I stand by my statement and hope this doesn't derail the discussion of the attributes of the Quad 9AS and the current sale.

skilfastersic, from what I've read your loyalty to active monitors is typical of studio/mixing studio professionals.