Budget Stereo Amplifiers

cujobob

Re: Budget Stereo Amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2016, 12:08 pm »
You should really consider the speakers and the amp as a sub-system within the whole system, not just as separate pieces. Synergy, not only in terms of sound reproduction characteristics but also electrical characteristics, is really key when choosing an amp & speaker pairing. To simplify the goal of choosing an amp, it's usually most helpful to pick your speakers first...especially due to the very wide variety of speaker types / designs to choose from.

My main system runs Gedlee Abbeys which are highly efficient and a breeze to drive. This system is moreso so I can put together a strong pair of separates to try out other designs without being limited by the electronics. As an example, I recently picked up a pair of JBL Studio 530s. If I wasn't looking for more power, I would have scrounged the internet for another First Watt F5 which I thought was absolutely stellar.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:26 pm »
If your running Gedlee Abbeys and looking for a cheap amp, shouldn't you follow Earl's lead again and pick up the $200 Pioneer VSX-D912 receiver he uses?

cujobob

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:35 pm »
If your running Gedlee Abbeys and looking for a cheap amp, shouldn't you follow Earl's lead again and pick up the $200 Pioneer VSX-D912 receiver he uses?

Have one in use with those speakers. The basis for choosing that amplifier was the low crossover distortion which is a very important feature, however, the Abbeys are 95 db sensitivity and easy to drive. This setup is for speakers not so easy to drive.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2016, 11:08 pm »
:thumb: :thumb:

Yes, keep in mind that the amp's only job is to serve the speakers.  Along that line, consider buying active speakers: manufacturer picks a synergistic match of amp to each driver; saves you the cost and space of separates; eliminates the cost of speaker cable and an extra pair of connectors per speaker; cuts through the audiophile B.S. of amps/cables; gains all the functional advantages of active design which includes greater dynamics, improved frequency response, and fuller/deeper bass.  My favorite budget example:  JBL LSR305's (current street price = $200/pair); compact 2-way design with F3 = 41 Hz; you'd probably have to drop 4 times the cash to equal their performance with passive speakers plus a power amp and cables.
Where do you see the LSR305 for $200 a pair?

srb

« Reply #24 on: 11 Dec 2016, 02:01 am »
Where do you see the LSR305 for $200 a pair?

Amazon previously had them in white for $99 each, but that deal is now gone.

In another topic I posted a link to Markertek who listed them in black for $99 each and indicated there was a $50 instant rebate through December 31, but for whatever reason that listing is now back up to $149 each.

The only listing I can currently find for $99 each is GearClubDirect.  The listing says Free Shipping on orders over $99 but also says $14 fixed shipping cost each (?) and they apparently also charge 10.25% sales tax.  I have never personally ordered from them and don't know anything about them.

So other than that it looks like the price right now is generally $149 each except that you can save a couple bucks at Amazon ordering in a two-pack pair for $283.22.

Steve

cujobob

7x57

« Reply #26 on: 11 Dec 2016, 08:22 am »
I once had a Hafler DH110 preamp and DH220 power amp setup. It was better than the Japanese receiver stuff of that time period. It took me several days to fix an intermittent problem. Bad solder joint. Build quality very mediocre. I got a new B&K Pro10-MC preamp and B&K ST-202+ power amp and they were a definite step above in build quality and sound quality. Never had a bit of trouble in over 10 years of use and they are sitting in their factory boxes in excellent cosmetic condition since 2002. They were replaced by Conrad-Johnson EV-1, PV-14L and MF-2250 combination in 2001/2002. Again, build quality went up as well as sound quality. You would expect that for 3X the cost. Never a repair with any of the C-J stuff, except for a few tubes being replaced in the EV-1 phono amp. The preamp still uses the original NOS Mullard M8080 tubes that shipped with the preamp in 2001. They should last at least 20,000 hours of use, as they were rated at 10,000 hours under military conditions in portable field radios.

C-J solid state amplifiers are incredible values in the used market. Their tube gear gets all the glory, but they developed solid state gear in the same league and considerably above Adcom, Bryston, Hafler and B&K gear. An old C-J PFR would be a good solid state unit, or the PF2 if looking at a lower priced unit. An MF-2250 or MF-2500 power amp, or even one of the older amps.

If looking at those other four brands I mentioned, the Bryston would probably be more common in Canada and the B&K more common in the USA. I would pick either one over the Adcom or Hafler units. They were all popular in the 80's and 90's and should be available at dirt cheap prices. Just be aware they will need electrolytic cap replacements to be reliable.

C-J uses bipolar outputs in the MF-2250, and they are better than the Mosfet outputs in the Hafler and B&K amps I have owned. Bipolars have better current drive and are more stable at high temperatures. The polystyrene capacitors used everywhere in the C-J amps give much more clarity than the cheaper capacitors used in the "bang for the buck" brands.

C-J made the Sonographe amp line for some time, and were the same circuitry as the C-J standard line except they used lower cost components. I have never seen or heard an example, however.

I will take my C-J amps to the grave. I have never heard anything else that would make me want to change. I use VMPS Ribbon Monitor loudspeakers.

Dick Olsher has also recommended used Conrad-Johnson solid state as an incredible bargain. People just automatically want their tube stuff, so their solid state stuff never got the attention it deserves. I'll never go back to the "standard" brands like B&K or Hafler.

OzarkTom

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2016, 11:30 am »
http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/5-Inch-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Limited-Edition-Matte-Red.gc

A friend has them in red.  IMO much better than white and less boring than black.  But I drove a Saab 99 back in the day.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2016, 03:16 pm »
I'd agree with 7x57 - I'd seek out Sonagraphe and some of the less expensive CJ SS.

I also think the Rotel stereo amps from the 80s and 90s are  pretty good, powerful and cheap. I've sold a few in the $300-$400 price range.  The preamps though are not very nice.

Audio Refinement,  The less expensive Chinese made budget line from YBA, is also good product but may be harder to find.