SPL Meter Corrections

lpgorbet

SPL Meter Corrections
« on: 14 Nov 2016, 04:20 am »
There are a lot of seemingly OK SPL meters at reasonable prices available but I haven't been able to find any currently being manufactured that have correction tables for the frequencies they cover. Any help or work arounds would be very much appreciated. I have a new subwoofer I'd like to get set up. Before too long, I'll be upgrading my main front speakers and will want to again set up my system with a good bass response.

Phil A

Re: SPL Meter Corrections
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2016, 05:01 am »
 If you have a smart phone, there is always an option of an App plus - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-imm-6-calibrated-measurement-microphone-for-tablets-iphone-ipad-and-android--390-810

It certainly would be less than almost all separate SPL meters

JapanJim

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2016, 06:48 am »
I agree with Phil.  I have the app for my android tablet, and it is as accurate as the spl meter with more features.  As well as the onboard and the external mic have nearly the identical readings.

Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2016, 10:41 am »
Wondering if an app is any more (or less) accurate than my analog Radio Shack spl meter (that I have the corrections for).

Note that the linked Parts Express microphone requires a iPhone, a computer, a download, and 14 steps to calibrate.  Is this progress?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2016, 02:26 pm »
Wondering if an app is any more (or less) accurate than my analog Radio Shack spl meter (that I have the corrections for).

Note that the linked Parts Express microphone requires a iPhone, a computer, a download, and 14 steps to calibrate.  Is this progress?

Never really compared them.  I do have a Radio Shack meter and the corrections (somewhere).  I generally use my (Audio Control one third octave) RTA and I have compared the (same Audio Tools) App using their RTA and the microphone in my previous post and it is pretty good for what it is ($15). I also have the (Parts Express) USB microphone and Room EQ Wizard on the two Windows 10 music servers and have used RTA analysis with the program and it is really good (considering the microphone is just under $90) and in the same league as my RTA.  It was not a really hard process in either case.

I'm much more used to the outboard RTA.  The ideal spot is in a tape loop or between the amp and preamp and that sometimes is a pain (to get to) in my set-ups to some extent.  I've used the USB microphone with Room EQ Wizard a few times and it is my goal to use it more in the next year.  I'm much more used to the non-computer audio for the room analysis as I'm sure many of us are as well.

The problem with a correction chart and an SPL meter is that every room is different.  Someone may be starting with a 6db room boost in their set-up at 125Hz and someone else without it.  If one is applying that fixed correction for that frequency, it may not be accurate.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2016, 02:29 pm »
I should add that with use of an RTA in various rooms (which I have) and recordings that I am really familiar with, it does make it easier to hear many of the room problems when I am in someone else's house.  The ears of course are not going to measure as precisely as the RTA.  It is much easier to have the RTA and see what moving speakers and/or sound treatments does.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2016, 03:50 pm »
We are commingling SPL sound level readings with frequency response readings. An old analog Radio Shack SPL meter does an excellent job of reading SPL levels. But it's not the correct mic for doing in-room frequency response measurements.

Over on the home theater forums, I see a lot of people doing dumb things thinking that they are calibrating their mics, and then they do other dumb things adjusting their system frequency response.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2016, 04:00 pm »

Over on the home theater forums, I see a lot of people doing dumb things thinking that they are calibrating their mics, and then they do other dumb things adjusting their system frequency response.

Yep - the SPL might be OK to roughly identify a really bad room mode but it probably is the equivalent of taking a hatchet to cut a cheesecake.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2016, 05:16 pm »
I just use an app on my iPhone.  It is called Decibel 10th.

Not clear that it is all that accurate, but all I really wanted to do was determine the delta between sound level in the room with sound levels in the room directly above the listening space, and the level up at the bedrooms.

Works fine for what I use it for.  Free.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2016, 05:18 pm »
I moved from Behringer DEQ2496 (powerful but hard to use) to a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (but only works up to 500 Hz).  Both came with their own microphones.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2016, 09:43 pm »
I have this on the iPhone and iPads along with the Parts Express microphone - http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools/