Monoprice's powered bi-amped speaker

asliarun

Monoprice's powered bi-amped speaker
« on: 5 Aug 2016, 09:33 pm »
Came across Monoprice's powered bi-amped speakers that retail for $180 for a pair. There's a dedicated 50W amp for each driver. It also has an inbuilt DAC and supports USB input for digital (no optical or coax though, pity), besides supporting 2 RCA inputs. Also comes with a remote. Supports Bluetooth but this isn't even AptX so sound quality would be sub-par. However that can be easilt fixed with a $35 Chromecast Audio. Seems like a good deal for the price, and I can't think of another powered speaker in this price point.

Has anyone heard this or owned this?

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/13259?maincategoryid=109&categoryid=10904&subcategoryid=1090407&cpncd

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Monoprice's powered bi-amped speaker
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2016, 11:49 pm »
Amazing find (if it's half true).

But for $250 I'd probably go with Audio Engine A2+ as I don't believe the 30 Hz response figure and don't understand the efficiency rating (how can powered speakers have an efficiency rating?).
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2016, 01:13 am by JLM »

Phil A

Re: Monoprice's powered bi-amped speaker
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2016, 12:08 am »
Certainly looks promising.  I'll be getting and new PC over the next few months and rotating my current (Windows 7 Pro) one to the bedroom.  I will likely also have any extra receiver at some point for regular passive speakers but I also could always use that in the garage and consider these.