Cheap Cheerful and versatile Pre Amps

srb

Re: Cheap Cheerful and versatile Pre Amps
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2016, 03:07 am »
how about the Parasound Zpre2 Compact Stereo Preamplifier in silver for $249.99?

$250 for Silver and $400 for Black?  Silver it is!

OzarkTom

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2016, 02:36 pm »
I can highly recommend the NuForce AVP-16.  I have been enjoying one for about a year now in my 2 channel setup.

RCA and XLR outputs, digital inputs, remote, highly regarded volume control etc. 

I would think the AVP-17 would be great too.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:16 pm »
That Parasound has no DAC or phono preamp.

Cacophonix

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:41 pm »
Audio Advisor has the parasound zdac v2 for 250. It can be used as a DAC, headphone amp and/or preamp. Definitely a versatile item!

RoadTripper

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:45 pm »
mcgsxr: Can those two NuForce pre-amps still be purchased new?

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:57 pm »
Hey Now,

I just posted an advert for a very versatile preamp, Parasound Halo P3:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144117.0

--
Finest kind,
Chris

dspringham

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jul 2016, 05:07 pm »
On the NuForce theme, just purchased a preowned MCP-18 for $400.00. It will replace my Wyred STP-SE.

Although a multi-channel preamp, the stereo section through the balanced inputs/outputs (Front R/Front L) is really, really good. Employs the MUSE7320 volume control chip and is utterly transparent. Very nice build quality with some heft. Very smooth operationally and "tomb" quiet.

Originally sold for $995 (although NuForce claims to have "grossly mispriced it") is was offered new for as low as $599.

They come up periodically on the used market in the $350 - $450 area.

If you come across one for sale - it's really a no-brainer.

Cheers,
Dave

asliarun

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jul 2016, 05:30 pm »
C&C preamps are certainly a tougher nut to crack.  We have a lot of C&C amplifiers, C&C speakers, C&C powered/active speakers, but the C&C preamps aren't plentiful.

While used components can be a solution for some, it's not for everybody due to unavailability, maybe not working properly and other factors that keep them for being a readily repeatable solution for everyone.

We've all seen a ton of budget integrated amplifiers and receivers that have all the I/O, functions and even remote control, but take away the built in amplifiers - and they don't exist.  I guess most of the manufacturers feel that if you're going with a separate preamp you're automatically interested in only higher end audiophile offerings.

It's like in the world of AV receivers, you can get analog and digital inputs / outputs and remote control for $500 and less, but go to the AV preamp/processor product line and you start at $1500.

Where's a great C&C remote preamp for the guy with a pair of JBL LSR305 or similar?

Steve

Completely agree with you. I faced the same frustration when looking for a preamp/AVR pre-pro. Ended up getting a Marantz slimline AVR and am now using it as a pre-pro as it has stereo pre-out. There's Outlaw Model 975 though at $550 (but it doesn't have room correction): http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

On the topic of a C&C preamp and preamp+DAC, there's the Audio GD range of products which offer very high value and quality for the money. Audio GD focuses a great deal on the power supply and all their products use Class A stages and good power supplies and the sound is really nice! There's the C2 model which is a preamp and headphone amp (no DAC) priced at $480: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm

There's also NFB-29H which is a preamp with an inbuilt DAC (and headphone amp) priced at $680. It supports 2 analog inputs and 4 digital inputs (optical, coax, USB, i2s), and the DAC supports all high res formats including DSD. Their DAC and sound quality is really very good. I know the price is stretching the notion of C&C though. Link: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29H/NFB29HEN.htm

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jul 2016, 07:34 pm »
I don't think the NuForce AVP-16 is still available new.

Mine is in the HT classifieds here. Looking to simplify.  Great unit.

megabigeye

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jul 2016, 11:35 pm »
There's currently a Nuforce HDP on ebay for $70.  That seems like a ridiculous steal if it's in decent condition.  Analog, SPDIF (coax or optical, can't both be used) and USB inputs; preamp and headphone outputs.  No XLR in or out.  Scales up well with a linear power supply.  Massdrop also had a drop on them recently, even though it's been out of production for a few years.

There's also the Emotiva DC-1 Stealth, which also has analog RCA, coax, optical, and USB input as well as headphone out and XLR and RCA preamp out.

And the Essence HDACC which does all of the above plus HDMI, which is rare at that price.  If I recall, the analog isn't purely analog, but ADC-DAC, which seems convoluted to me, but what do I know.  The customer reviews on the Essence website are positive, but the one pro review I could find (on headfonia) was not so kind.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2016, 03:33 am »
I am still interested in seeing the reviews for the new Emotiva preamp that comes out in August.  The Emotiva XPS-1 phono preamp and Big Ego DAC, both budget gear have good reviews.  I would expect the new preamp to have a similar phono pre and DAC built in.  If so, it would be a great budget preamp for a complete system.

jk@home

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jul 2016, 01:46 am »
On the NuForce theme, just purchased a preowned MCP-18 for $400.00. It will replace my Wyred STP-SE.

Although a multi-channel preamp, the stereo section through the balanced inputs/outputs (Front R/Front L) is really, really good. Employs the MUSE7320 volume control chip and is utterly transparent. Very nice build quality with some heft. Very smooth operationally and "tomb" quiet.

Originally sold for $995 (although NuForce claims to have "grossly mispriced it") is was offered new for as low as $599.

They come up periodically on the used market in the $350 - $450 area.

If you come across one for sale - it's really a no-brainer.

Cheers,
Dave

Agree, I have been running one for about a year and a half now, in an digital/active triamp setup. Bought it when Audio Advisor had a closeout sale (almost 1/2 price). Using the unbalanced inputs, and then all balanced outputs to pro amps. Front L/R channels to KEF LS50s, 4 other channels to subwoofers.

Only critical thing I have to say about it is the supplied remote, a little on the lite side. I transferred the commands to a universal leaning remote for daily use, and have the OEM remote as a backup.

ohenry

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2016, 02:37 pm »
Here's something that appeared on Massdrop this morning.  Get enough participation, and it's $434 shipped.  Adcom GFP-815 Stereo Preamplifier with 7 analog inputs including a phono input (built-in phono stage) and remote.  That's a lot of options for <$450.  :D

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/adcom-gfp-815-stereo-preamplifier?utm_placement=0&referer=EKJS9U&mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202016-07-08&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional

This may be pushing the limits of C&C  but it seems like a bargain to me.

Guy 13

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jul 2016, 03:57 pm »

:scratch: Maybe I've missed it,
but I did not see what is the WPC output ? ?  ? ? ? ?

Guy 13

srb

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jul 2016, 04:03 pm »

We're talking about PREAMPLIFIERS here, so no WPC, except maybe milliwatts per channel from its headphone amplifier output.

Steve

ohenry

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jul 2016, 05:27 pm »

Guy 13

The guys at Massdrop start the description by:

"Designed to power two-channel speakers..."  So it was a little misleading.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jul 2016, 05:32 pm »
I like adcom gear.  It is well built.  From their website, it looks like they have gotten out of the HT business for now.  They have only 2ch gear.  I would like to see them make a come back.

prighello

« Reply #39 on: 3 Aug 2016, 10:22 pm »
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2016, 09:03 pm by prighello »