Bedroom speakers ????

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Bedroom speakers ????
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2016, 05:30 pm »
Not a fan of short floor-standers (presentation is too low and the sound is too easily to be blocked by furniture in the room, especially in a bedroom).  And not a fan of MTM, especially with ribbon tweeters as they can have a very narrow vertical window where the sound gels.

As an alternate you could look for powered speakers like the Audioengine HD6 ($750 U.S. with remote) and lose the AV-1. 

Personally I have no interest in bedroom speakers so would be hard pressed to spend serious coin on them.  Different story if this is a spare bedroom (no bed smucking up the middle of the room). 

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2016, 05:50 pm »
 :D   hum, not sure where that leads this. a hi quality monitor ?? those Phillharmonics look amazing. As do the sierra 2's....  both over 1500 bucks or more to get to me here in Canuck land.  :D   you do get what you pay for !!  :D
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2016, 09:25 pm by 2bigears »

mark@emeraldphysics

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2016, 06:33 pm »

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2016, 07:22 pm »
   my budget is bursting ,, the US $ is going to kill me and all the rest. ya get what you pay 4 !!  :D

If you live somewhere near the border, there are places that you can ship to and pick up from in the States just over the border.

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jun 2016, 07:41 pm »
  :D   haha ,,,, nowhere near the line ,,  :D
    would the ELAC Uni-fi UB5's be ok for around 800 bucks my total cost .. ??  :D
        ELAC sure is a buzz word these days .... :D
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm by 2bigears »

Saturn94

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm »
Elac Debut or UniFi, available as bookshelf or small towers. Easily within your budget and crazy good sound for the money.

+1!

I heard the UniFi bookshelf speakers recently and was very impressed with the sound for the money.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Oh, and no sub needed unless you want the lowest octaves.

TomS

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2016, 10:53 pm »
  :D   haha ,,,, nowhere near the line ,,  :D
    would the ELAC Uni-fi UB5's be ok for around 800 bucks my total cost .. ??  :D
        ELAC sure is a buzz word these days .... :D
These are shockingly good. If you need jewelry, they wouldn't be the first choice, but for that price you won't do better buying new, performance wise.

2bigears

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm »
 :D   does anyone know a place to buy.  amazon.com is out ..   600 all in to Canada ,,so the $$ is very good ,, :D  thanks everyone  :D

Saturn94

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:14 pm »
:D   does anyone know a place to buy.  amazon.com is out ..   600 all in to Canada ,,so the $$ is very good ,, :D  thanks everyone  :D

Can you by direct from ELAC in Canada?

brj

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2016, 06:21 pm »
Note that many of the options mentioned have rear ports.  Most bedrooms that I've seen tend to limit how far out into the room you could place the speakers, so that may be a challenge.  Unless you're willing to plug the ports and give up some (possibly significant) low frequency extension.

I'd share JLM's concern about short, compact floorstanders firing "into" the furniture as well.

That said, I've been pondering speakers for the bedroom or office, and I keep looking at those UniFi UF5s and wondering if I could force the issue... :)

(And, referencing the active speaker thread, I wonder how they'd sound in an active config!)

2bigears

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2016, 07:10 pm »
 :D     thanks Jeff,  the HD6 is pretty cool looking. Audioengine a5+ looks interesting too .  small and 500 bucks here in Canada  :D   get rid of the monster receiver from way long ago.  :D
          dam these decisions ,,,,  ELAC will soon be building a powered set for sure ,,,, they will do well with it .  :D

JLM

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jun 2016, 01:34 am »
The Audioengine HD6 has remote; analog, optical (digital), and wireless connections; and furniture grade finishes all beyond what the A5+ offers.

And if you're going down this route, another active speaker (sophisticated low voltage crossovers with one channel of amplification per driver) to consider is the compact $300 U.S.D./pair JBL LSR305 2-ways, F3 = 41 Hz.  I had them here for a week and really enjoyed my time with them next to my $5000 speaker/amp setup.  (Compared to the HD6 no wood finishes, wireless or digital connections, grills, and no remote.)

ohenry

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jun 2016, 05:23 am »
Remember a few years ago when people were giving high praise to these? (Small Andrew Jones designed Pioneer)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Pioneer+Speakers/SP-BS22-LR

Truly cheap and possibly cheerful.  :)

Sorry, I missed the small tower requisite.  These are the brothers of the bookshelf version:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Pioneer+Speakers/SP-FS52

« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2016, 06:39 am by ohenry »

srb

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:26 am »
Remember a few years ago when people were giving high praise to these [Pioneer SP-BS22-LR] ? (Small Andrew Jones designed Pioneer)

I have a pair of the Pioneer BS22, and while they were good at their $130 price point, and particularly the $77 sale price, they are bettered by most any $300 pair of speakers.

I never had the opportunity to listen to Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitor version ($195 re-worked version of the Pioneer BS22), but they have since been replaced with the New Affordable Accuracy Monitor ($195 re-worked version of the Parts Express BR-1 kit), and these improve on the modded Pioneers in all performance areas.

Steve

JLM

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:26 am »
I heard the BS22's briefly (that was enough to dismiss all the hoopla).   :scratch:

I've also heard the Philharmonic Affordable (sorry don't know which version but since they were purchased maybe 3 months ago I'd guess the newer version) 3 different times on different systems (including mine) and they were much better.  But my old (and still loved) original $300/pair Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's and my friend's $300/pair active JBL LSR305 easily beat them in a side by side comparison on my system. 

The Philharmonics benefitted greatly from break-in (the others were well broken-in).

Dmason

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm »
I have been using the Serene Audio Talisman for a year now, for just such an application, and am very happy with them, within their constraints...

Single driver goodness, no crossover, uses the very well wrought Fountek 89EX 4 Ohm 3" with the largest Nd magnet you will ever see on a driver this size, it sports a cast alloy frame, metal cone damped with ceramic or latex coating, reflex loaded assymetric cabinet to reduce standing waves. Front and rear baffles CNC milled from 1/2" bamboo, side walls are MDF wrapped in VERY nice leather. Amplified by a TPA3116 chip amp, which in itself is highly regarded. It also has a sub-out, which high passes the mains @ 120Hz, amp board is mounted on a milled brass plate. Extreme quality build overall, made in Vancouver, BC, by a music loving engineer.

Priced, I believe, in CAD.   www.sereneaudio.com    highly recommended

apstoltz

« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2016, 10:53 pm »
Not to hijack the thread but I am in the same boat for a bedroom setup and will implement a small 8 or 10 to go with small satellites. I was thinking about the era d4 now peachtree d4 or the psb imagine mini. I want to keep fairly small as these will sit on a dresser. Any recommendations?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #37 on: 22 Aug 2016, 03:56 am »
I would consider Monitor Audio Silver 1's and PSB XB's.   I have a pair of Monitor S1's and older model in  my bedroom paired with a little digital amp and they sound great with a good music source.  They look great to boot and have a real wood veneer and look like a piece of furniture.  I also have a pair of PSB B6's in another bedroom and they look and sound great with a warmer sound typical of PSB. The MA's are more neutral and detailed.

http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/silver-1/review

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/monitor-audio-silver-1-bookshelf-loudspeaker-review/

Give some thought to Paradigm monitors and B&W 600 series

apstoltz

« Reply #38 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:02 pm »
Thanks for the input. I think I am leaning toward a mini monitor with a 4" to 5.25 driver as my space is tight. I even thought about the Napa acoustics $600 setup that jlm mentioned on the forum.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #39 on: 23 Aug 2016, 04:49 pm »
Give a look at the PSB Imagine Mini and Imagine B speakers that fit the bill for mini speakers. 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=49&val=4

These Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's are also nice sounding and use a 5" woofer-

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-101-bookshelf-speakers-pr