Drivers under $100

nikalis

Drivers under $100
« on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:10 am »
I'm about to pull the trigger on some new speakers for a tpa3116 and 6n3 pre amp

I'm just wonder what are some good ones for under $100 for 2 tweeters and 2 mids, its really looking like my options are limited would this change if I went up to 150?
I still need to put in the research but I'm looking for maybe something to get started with

Dayton Audio seems to be well liked.
I also read something about xfita? tweeters, I know I spelled that wrong but it was similar

I much appreciate any help you guys can throw my way.

srb

Re: Drivers under $100
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:27 am »
GR Research X-LS Classic Kit - $109/pair

Includes:

2 - woofers
2 - soft dome tweeters
2 - assembled crossovers
2 - input cups, port tubes, wire & mounting screws

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2016, 06:47 am »

Includes:

2 - woofers
2 - soft dome tweeters
2 - assembled crossovers

+1 on the X-LS. In addition to the Classic, for $169 you can step up to the X-LS Encore. The Encore models use the Peerless T26SG tweeter.

Personally I like the Encores but you can't go wrong with either model.

Mike

lacro

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2016, 02:33 pm »
+2...
Stop looking, you won't find anything better in your price range than the X-LS or better yet X-LS Encores to go with your Class D 3116 amp and 3 tube preamp. I use the same set-up as my desktop system driving the Gr Research X-LS Encores. It's a match made in Heaven! I have tried the TPA 3110/3116/3118 versions of these amps, and they all drive the Encores easily.

nikalis

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2016, 08:17 pm »
I finally remembered the name, vifa tweeters

nikalis

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2016, 09:12 pm »
specifically this tweeter

Tymphany XT25SC90-04 and then I am not sure what to pair it with.

A good question would be what benefits come from running at 8ohms instead of 4 likfe would be the case if i went with the vifa

drewm

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2016, 09:40 pm »
specifically this tweeter

Tymphany XT25SC90-04 and then I am not sure what to pair it with.

A good question would be what benefits come from running at 8ohms instead of 4 likfe would be the case if i went with the vifa

You do understand that designing a correct crossover for your drivers is over the heads of nearly every DIY right? You need very expensive specialized measuring equipment with a anechoic chamber along with a serious amount of crossover design knowledge to even half correctly design one. With the x-ls encore you get an extremely well designed speaker that easily competes with $1000-2000 speakers at a bottom end price point. I'm also a very happy GR-Research customer and own many speakers from them.

I've also heard the XT25 tweeter you mention above, as I had it in a previous speaker. It's good, but not as good as the Peerless T26SG in the x-ls encore mentioned above which I have in my current speakers.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2016, 09:49 pm »
You do understand that designing a correct crossover for your drivers is over the heads of nearly every DIY right? You need very expensive specialized measuring equipment along with a serious amount of crossover design knowledge to even half correctly design one. With the above suggestions above you get an extremely well designed speaker that easily competes with 4 figure speakers at a bottom end price point. I'm also a very happy GR-Research customer and own many speakers from them.

I've also heard the XT25 tweeter you mention above, as I had it in a previous speaker. It's good, but not as good as the Peerless T26SG in the x-ls encore mentioned above which I have in my current speakers.
Just in case you missed it, you really can't create a crossover without good measuring programs, tools, and experience.  Get the X-LS kit.  Get the Encore version if you've got the extra $.

drewm

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:29 pm »
This is a great example of what it takes to design a crossover, if you don't understand everything going on in this link and could make these decisions based on your own knowledge, then you aren't there yet:
http://gr-research.com/insigniaupgrade.aspx

And we haven't even gotten into driver selection and custom designed drivers yet.

cody69

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:13 am »

Includes:

2 - woofers
2 - soft dome tweeters
2 - assembled crossovers

+1 on the X-LS.

+2...

I couldn't agree more. For your money I can't imagine you can find a better deal that comes close to the sound quality these X-LS speakers provide.

I built a TPA-3116 amp and pair of X-LS this winter as gift to a relative for the holidays. A really nice combination that play very nicely together.

Last week I made another 3116 amp for a friend and have been burning it in by playing on the X-LS speakers I have in my shop... sweet.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2016, 02:01 am »

Includes:

2 - woofers
2 - soft dome tweeters
2 - assembled crossovers

If you can build these, then there simply isn't any option worth considering for the kind of money you're looking to spend. This kit is as much of a no-brainer as the the 3116. And like the 3116, you could spend a whole lot more only to come away with a whole lot less. Take heed! You won't be sorry.

nikalis

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2016, 06:55 am »
what about a set of polk audio t50's? for 150 and I would not have to make a box so that puts me right around my budget.  Would I even have enough power for them with a 3116 at 13.8 watts?

persisting1

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2016, 09:15 pm »
what about a set of polk audio t50's? for 150 and I would not have to make a box so that puts me right around my budget.  Would I even have enough power for them with a 3116 at 13.8 watts?

You can audition the Polks in most areas. Give them a listen and see if you like them.

gab

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm »
Lots of folks have built these:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project.html

Its a LONG thread but the latest incarnation uses a very inexpensive GRS 15" driver instead of the pricey Peerless. So read the latest parts list to see what the driveout cost will be (versus the prices mentioned on the first page). I have heard these at LSAF and they sound really nice if you have the room for a OB and its constraints.

uroford

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:53 pm »
Lacro, am I wrong or is the amp running a bi-wire set up?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:29 pm »
I'm just wonder what are some good ones for under $100 for 2 tweeters and 2 mids

That kind of limited budget is were fullranges really excel, with a good one i doubt a 2-way can outperform them. I'd recommend looking at the new Mark Audio Pluvia Seven.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/markaudio-pluvia-seven-grey-cone-4-full-range/

dave

Poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2016, 11:56 am »
I'd recommend the Wild Burro Audio Labs Betsy's for $99 plus the wood and hardware. They sound excellent with the 3116/6n3 Guanzo combo. If you need more bass you can add a sub or helper woofers. These have the great mids you'd expect from full range single drivers sans crossovers and no box coloration. Can be put together in an afternoon.

If you want to read more on these check out the Dark Star thread which is probably the longest running thread in the history of AC.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=19253.0

dotneck335

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm »
What speaker?