Tube Depot Tubecube | 7

RDavidson

Re: Tube Depot Tubecube | 7
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2015, 03:00 am »
Yeah, I don't think FRM saw that Mr. O was looking for desktop speakers, as obviously his recommendations aren't such.

You're right JLM, virtually any/all small speakers will have limited bass, for sure. 70hz extension is pretty decent for desktop type speakers though, and can have reasonably full sound. With some boundary reinforcement and perhaps even some careful EQ implementation, via computer software, bass could be pleasing enough. 91 dbs is pretty loud, and certainly not advisable for extended listening sessions. Doesn't leave one with much headroom, though. I'd want speakers to be around 92db sensitive or more to pair with the Tubecube, personally.

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2015, 03:32 am »
The Brines Acoustics T7-A7 (about $370 for flats kit and drivers) would make more sense price/size than the Brines/Common Sense above suggestions, are a proven design versus the DIY option, and provides better sound/more flexible (possible in-room use with a sub) than the tiny LGK for roughly the same price when cabinets are accounted for.

I am curious why you say better sound Jeff? All of the reviews I have seen  on this site have been outstanding, I know Ron of new record day loved the LGKs as well. 

Have you been able to compare the two?  What did you hear in the Brines that you felt was superior to the LGK? The difference in driver size (4" vs 3") is insignificant in my estimation.  I would think either could fill a comparable size room if used with a sub as long as your expectations are reasonable.

Best,
Ed

Poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: 1 Oct 2015, 10:14 am »
Here's another DIY option using the Fostex FE126En which at 93 dbs is a excellent match for the APPJ/MW.

I have the FE126En in bass reflex and Frugal Horns and like the synergy with the APPJ/MW. While some would say the FE126En is best suited for BL horns I really enjoy them in bass reflex. Fostex has BR plans for this driver on their site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6TyOpYZcE4

RDavidson

« Reply #23 on: 1 Oct 2015, 02:21 pm »
That's a very good option.

I also agree, while BL horns have some good characteristics, a lot of them are often more compromised than a nice, simple, bass reflex design (+ a sub if needed). Perhaps the biggest issue (except maybe in the best / most expensive designs) is a timing disconnect between the initial bass tone directly from the driver and the trailing bass tones exiting the horn.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 1 Oct 2015, 04:31 pm »
Sorry I missing he ask for desktop speakers.
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2015, 06:51 pm by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 1 Oct 2015, 06:22 pm »
I am curious why you say better sound Jeff? All of the reviews I have seen  on this site have been outstanding, I know Ron of new record day loved the LGKs as well. 

Have you been able to compare the two?  What did you hear in the Brines that you felt was superior to the LGK? The difference in driver size (4" vs 3") is insignificant in my estimation.  I would think either could fill a comparable size room if used with a sub as long as your expectations are reasonable.

Best,
Ed

Sorry Ed, was speaking based on having heard several Mark Audio drivers/speakers and Bob Brine's (I own a pair of his designs) description of the T7-A7 as being capable of serving in-room as subwoofer supported stand-mounts (something I've not read the LGK as being capable of).  I do agree that how folks term 3 inch versus 4 inch can be quibbling.  But with small drivers specifics can be significant.  In this case the Alpair 7 effective area is 60% bigger than the LGK 1.0.

Again guys, the OP was looking for possible desktop use, so BL horns shouldn't be considered, but the EnABL'd Fostex FE127EN (see Planet10) as I'd suggested should be another viable option.

RDavidson

« Reply #26 on: 1 Oct 2015, 06:39 pm »
This is just a Cheap & Cheerful thread about the Tubecube 7. I'm the OP. Another member interested in the Tubecube 7 asked about DIY desktop speaker options that would pair well with it....which is useful info (as a side topic) to this thread. After all, one can't really do much with an amp without speakers (or source, of course).

JLM, I see no problem in anyone mentioning their experience using a Fostex driver (commonly used in a BL horn), in a small bass reflex cabinet. Click the link to the YouTube video.

...but yes, let's focus on cost effective options in general in the C&C spirit. We probably don't have to focus on just DIY, but I think narrowing the scope to small monitor type speakers would be the most helpful to most people looking at the TC7.

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #27 on: 2 Oct 2015, 01:50 am »
I didn't mean to hijack your thread so much.  I think the fact that tube depot is carrying this little amp is awesome and am considering ordering one for my father for XMAS!  I think the price is great and it includes free shipping!  Just fishing for suitable desktop speakers to go with this amp.  Thank you everyone for all of the ideas! 

Thanks again,

tom

RDavidson

« Reply #28 on: 2 Oct 2015, 03:15 am »
It's no problem Mr. O. I think as long as the discussion is centered around the Tube Cube 7 and ancillary equipment and/or tweaks (in the spirit of C&C guidelines), it's totally fine. Let's keep the discussion going. My goal is to just stir up interest, maybe get folks to pick one up, and see what kinds of cool things people come up with. It just seems like such a fun little device for so little money, similar to the T-amps of years past that opened the doors to truly enjoyable audio quality for a lot of budding enthusiasts. :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 2 Oct 2015, 10:37 am »
This is just a Cheap & Cheerful thread about the Tubecube 7. I'm the OP. Another member interested in the Tubecube 7 asked about DIY desktop speaker options that would pair well with it....which is useful info (as a side topic) to this thread. After all, one can't really do much with an amp without speakers (or source, of course).

Oops, my bad.

Laws of physics speak to size/efficiency/bass, but laws of economics also speak to bass/sound quality.  Because of that have always wanted a C&C circle version 2 for $2000 systems where less compromised audiophile systems could catch additional interest.

Brad

« Reply #30 on: 2 Oct 2015, 01:26 pm »
I'd also point out that if you're listening in nearfield, lower sensitivity speakers can be considered.

I've used the Pioneer '41 Bookshelf speakers with a single-ended EL84 amp on a desktop, and had plenty of volume.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #31 on: 2 Oct 2015, 01:27 pm »
These Tekton OB 4.5 were inexpensive and partnered well with the APPJ/MW.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #32 on: 2 Oct 2015, 01:40 pm »
The MW is in this picture but I can't tell if it's driving the Tektons.

I used the MW/APPJ with the WBAL open baffle Betsys and that's what hooked me on the OB sound and full range drivers.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #33 on: 2 Oct 2015, 01:46 pm »
Here's the MW/APPJ driving Tang Band W8-1808's over H-frames.

RDavidson

« Reply #34 on: 2 Oct 2015, 02:06 pm »
Oops, my bad.

Laws of physics speak to size/efficiency/bass, but laws of economics also speak to bass/sound quality.  Because of that have always wanted a C&C circle version 2 for $2000 systems where less compromised audiophile systems could catch additional interest.

That's a good idea JLM. I can see that being particularly useful to those who are looking for a next level system, or an upgrade path from true C&C, still without breaking the bank. You should propose this to the C&C Circle keeper.

RDavidson

« Reply #35 on: 2 Oct 2015, 02:11 pm »
I'd also point out that if you're listening in nearfield, lower sensitivity speakers can be considered.

I've used the Pioneer '41 Bookshelf speakers with a single-ended EL84 amp on a desktop, and had plenty of volume.

Yes, that's a good point Brad. JLM alluded to this earlier. I think one would still want slightly above average sensitivity (average is considered 85db I believe) and/or impedance that doesn't stray much lower than 6-8 ohm range nominal. Speakers with impedance swings into the 2-3 ohm range, I'd probably stay away from.

RDavidson

« Reply #36 on: 2 Oct 2015, 02:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing Poultrygeist! That's the kind of thing that I think sort of proves that the Tubecube 7 is indeed as good / gutsy as many reviewers have said about the MW and APPJ twins. While wattage is never as impressive as an SS amp, tube amps always have good current drive respective of their rated output wattage (assuming appropriate power supply).

randytsuch

« Reply #37 on: 2 Oct 2015, 04:23 pm »
So it may not be that cheap and cheerful anymore, but for my desktop setup, I added a subwoofer to the LGKs.  Makes a big difference on the low end, obviously.  Used a mini dsp and a separate amp, and a surplus subwoofer I picked up.  It actually wasn't that expensive, but took some diy work to get it all integrated.

And I used a mic and REV to integrate in the subwoofer.

Randy

RDavidson

« Reply #38 on: 2 Oct 2015, 06:42 pm »
Certainly bass is the foundation of a lot of music. Thankfully there are subwoofer options out there, DIY and otherwise, that I think would still fall under C&C. I think as long as the mains have good midbass or can be tweaked for fuller response (even at the expense of some resolution) the tradeoff can be satisfying. This brings up a good point : Any C&C system will be a juggling act of prioritizing tradeoffs...more so than a system beyond C&C, anyway. That's part of what makes this fun and I think is a central point of the C&C Circle. It's a challenge. With challenge, the result can be VERY rewarding. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2015, 02:18 pm by RDavidson »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #39 on: 3 Oct 2015, 11:40 am »
And here's one of the best C&C subwoofer options that I've used with the APPJ/MW.

It's hard to imagine a better sounding sub system for $250 ( including the plate amp ) than the bucket subs.