Maybe the best $100 system ever?

JohnR

Re: Maybe the best $100 system ever?
« Reply #60 on: 2 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm »
Um... did you ask the seller?

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

« Reply #61 on: 2 Apr 2014, 03:40 pm »
I just sent him a message, but I sort of doubt he knows any details, considering he sells thousands of unrelated items from china. Hopefully he'll be able to contact the supplier, but who knows.

mightym

« Reply #62 on: 2 Apr 2014, 09:47 pm »
Someonewhoisn'tme, can you post a link for the seller of that pre-amp board?

I know that Yuan Jing's site shows several different tube pre-amp boards, and offers transformers with some of them, also lists the transformers separately...

I'd like more info on the board you showed us the picture of....

John

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

« Reply #63 on: 3 Apr 2014, 12:33 am »
seller is "besram-tech"

here is the link to the board I got http://www.ebay.com/itm/300832165315

ultimately, I'd like to replace the volume pot with an alps, feed it with a decent USB DAC, and build everything into one chassis including the power supplies etc. if anyone can point me in the direction of a good C&C DAC, that'd be awesome. otherwise I'll just run the rig off my NI AUDIO 4 DJ, but I'd rather not have to tear my desktop monitor rig down everytime I play out.

Poultrygeist

mightym

« Reply #65 on: 3 Apr 2014, 07:40 am »
Thanks for the linkage gents, some more to look into now....

John

Poultrygeist

« Reply #66 on: 3 Apr 2014, 08:50 am »
Buy off ebay and you can get your money back if it's not as described.

Buy from a shop in China and you may be on your own.

wired4sound

« Reply #67 on: 3 Apr 2014, 03:54 pm »
This is like my 3 tube 6N3 preamp shown earlier and I know it sounds good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/w-Tracking-No-Buffer-6N3-x2-6Z4-Tube-Preamp-AMP-220V-110V-Transformer-G047-/261009955502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc567daae

Poultrygeist, I am thinking of using the same preamp. I find that TPA3116 to be more clinical than I would like, and injecting a tube preamp may be more like it for me, hoping to get some tube amp flavor. Am I correct?

I am a newbie to this DIY (still figuring out how to connect a DC jack to 3-prong DC switch with LED  :scratch:). Does the seller give instructions as to which wire of transformer goes to the preamp? I am afraid to make a mistake since the transformer is also used for 220V, and fry the board. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, YJ's price for the board and transformer is a lot more, compared to your link.

wired4sound

« Reply #68 on: 3 Apr 2014, 04:26 pm »
Hey Wind you're looking good. And just like you I'm a little obsessed with the TPA's.

From left to right the TPA3110 power amp, the 6n3 preamp, and the TPA3116 integrated amp. And the blue/black board is on order. :D

For the 6n3 preamp, did you end up using a different volume pot or the built-in?

MCM_Fan

« Reply #69 on: 3 Apr 2014, 11:27 pm »
So tell me what's out there in vintage systems for $100 that's better.

There are really an infinite number of possible combinations, but like your $5 PS1, they require a little scounging around at the local thrift stores.

Here's my "best" under $100 system from a year ago:

This morning, I was playing around with several of the bits and pieces I've acquired at my local Goodwill over the past 5 months, trying different combinations of receivers and speakers.  I thought I'd try to come up with the best sounding, most bang for the buck system I could assemble with a total cost of less than $100.

Here's what I came up with:

Receiver: NAD 7250PE - $19.99
CD Player: Sony DVP-S7000 - $9.99
Main Speakers: Mitsubishi Diatone DS-73D - $29.99
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics PV700 - $29.99
Speaker Stands: Optimus SS-10 15" - $7.99
Total - $97.95

I've been listening to this system all day, both FM and CDs and I'm pleased to report I got my money's worth.  All these items were purchased at the same local Goodwill within a period spanning about 4 months.

Since that time, I've also scored a better subwoofer for less money (Definitive Technology ProSub 800 for $9.99), a couple of SACD players (Marantz DV6600 for $14.99 and Sony DVP-NS3100ES for $29.99).  I've also added a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A FM tuner for $39.99 and have picked up several additional sets of cheap and cheerful speakers (Dynaco A25 for $29.99, Monitor Audio Bronze B1 for $9.99, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR for $79.99).

So, I could swap the subs and replace the CD player with either of the SACD players and keep the total under $100.   I am currently using the Marantz DV6600 in that system downstairs and the Sony DVP-NS-3100ES, along with the Magnum Dynalab tuner, the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers and the Definitive Technology subwoofer in my master bedroom system.  But, that's my "expensive system" that also includes an NAD 3150 integrated amp ($50.00), Salamander rack ($24.99), a Panamax M5300EX power conditioner ($29.99) and a BIC Beam Box FM10 ($40.00) antenna.  Counting the speaker stands ($9.99), I've got nearly $315 tied up in that system, but that includes multiple sources, an antenna, a power conditioner and the furniture to hold it all.

Of course, these were all unique, one-time purchases, but I've had enough of these unique purchases to know there are more out there.

All that said, I'm still building three of the little cheap and cheerful TPA3116 amps and plan to combine at least one of them with a 3-tube 6N3 preamp.  I love to build things, I'm always on the lookout for a bargain (as you can probably tell) and I also like the small form factor and power efficient design of these little Class D chip amps.  Plus, after all the glowing reviews, I just have to hear one for myself!

charmerci

« Reply #70 on: 4 Apr 2014, 01:24 am »
There are really an infinite number of possible combinations, but like your $5 PS1, they require a little scounging around at the local thrift stores.

Here's my "best" under $100 system from a year ago:

This morning, I was playing around with several of the bits and pieces I've acquired at my local Goodwill over the past 5 months, trying different combinations of receivers and speakers.  I thought I'd try to come up with the best sounding, most bang for the buck system I could assemble with a total cost of less than $100.

Here's what I came up with:

Receiver: NAD 7250PE - $19.99
CD Player: Sony DVP-S7000 - $9.99
Main Speakers: Mitsubishi Diatone DS-73D - $29.99
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics PV700 - $29.99
Speaker Stands: Optimus SS-10 15" - $7.99
Total - $97.95

I've been listening to this system all day, both FM and CDs and I'm pleased to report I got my money's worth.  All these items were purchased at the same local Goodwill within a period spanning about 4 months.

Since that time, I've also scored a better subwoofer for less money (Definitive Technology ProSub 800 for $9.99), a couple of SACD players (Marantz DV6600 for $14.99 and Sony DVP-NS3100ES for $29.99).  I've also added a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A FM tuner for $39.99 and have picked up several additional sets of cheap and cheerful speakers (Dynaco A25 for $29.99, Monitor Audio Bronze B1 for $9.99, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR for $79.99).

So, I could swap the subs and replace the CD player with either of the SACD players and keep the total under $100.   I am currently using the Marantz DV6600 in that system downstairs and the Sony DVP-NS-3100ES, along with the Magnum Dynalab tuner, the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers and the Definitive Technology subwoofer in my master bedroom system.  But, that's my "expensive system" that also includes an NAD 3150 integrated amp ($50.00), Salamander rack ($24.99), a Panamax M5300EX power conditioner ($29.99) and a BIC Beam Box FM10 ($40.00) antenna.  Counting the speaker stands ($9.99), I've got nearly $315 tied up in that system, but that includes multiple sources, an antenna, a power conditioner and the furniture to hold it all.

Of course, these were all unique, one-time purchases, but I've had enough of these unique purchases to know there are more out there.

All that said, I'm still building three of the little cheap and cheerful TPA3116 amps and plan to combine at least one of them with a 3-tube 6N3 preamp.  I love to build things, I'm always on the lookout for a bargain (as you can probably tell) and I also like the small form factor and power efficient design of these little Class D chip amps.  Plus, after all the glowing reviews, I just have to hear one for myself!

:o   :scratch:

I often go to thrift shops but I never see NAD period, let alone for $20 or even $50 nor SACD players. Sony/Denon receivers go for $40+. The only decent thing, I've seen recently was a pair of 10+ year old B&W speakers for $150 at Goodwill.

Either you go a lot or go upper class area thrift shops.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #71 on: 4 Apr 2014, 02:14 am »

Blue #1 to port #5
Blue #2 to port #4
Blue #3 to port #3
Black #4 to port #2 GND
Blue #5 to port #1

This is a wiring chart for the 6N3 ( four dark blue wires, one black ground wire and two red wires for power cord to outlet ). Communication with Chinese ebay sellers is not the best and if the transformer has different color wires or more than 7 then this chart may not be of much help.

wired4sound

« Reply #72 on: 4 Apr 2014, 04:12 pm »

Blue #1 to port #5
Blue #2 to port #4
Blue #3 to port #3
Black #4 to port #2 GND
Blue #5 to port #1

This is a wiring chart for the 6N3 ( four dark blue wires, one black ground wire and two red wires for power cord to outlet ). Communication with Chinese ebay sellers is not the best and if the transformer has different color wires or more than 7 then this chart may not be of much help.

Thank you very much for taking the time to draw a diagram! :thumb: I would not have figured it out myself. Hoping now to get the same transformer as you did. Thanks again!

BoJonJovi

« Reply #73 on: 22 Apr 2014, 08:33 pm »
Poultrygeist
Can you give me suggestions and links for a power supply for the 6n3?

wired4sound

« Reply #75 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:29 pm »

Blue #1 to port #5
Blue #2 to port #4
Blue #3 to port #3
Black #4 to port #2 GND
Blue #5 to port #1

Received package of the 6N3 preamp but minus the board--separate mailing package? Return address of sender is in Singapore. And I thought sender is from Hongkong or mainland China.

The transformer I received has 5 wires like Poultrygeist, but different colors. Wires 4 & 5 are thicker gauge (both black) than 1,2, & 3.  I imagine the color does not matter, as long as I follow the order of wires from Poulrtygeist's diagram, it will be correct. Wires 4 & 5 will connect to 4 & 5 of preamp board. What do you think Poultrygeist? Thanks!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #76 on: 23 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm »
I can't say for sure.

If you bought it off ebay go back and look at the picture in the listing.

Some are fairly detailed and the connections are easy to follow.

You can also write the guy and threaten to open a case unless he sends you a diagram.

lacro

« Reply #77 on: 24 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm »
Can't you just power the primary, and measure the outputs of the secondaries with a DMM?

mboxler

« Reply #78 on: 24 Apr 2014, 01:04 pm »
Can't you just power the primary, and measure the outputs of the secondaries with a DMM?

+1

Even if there is a label describing the secondaries, I always check them with a DMM, just to make sure the tranny isn't defective.

lacro

« Reply #79 on: 24 Apr 2014, 11:17 pm »
Received package of the 6N3 preamp but minus the board--separate mailing package? Return address of sender is in Singapore. And I thought sender is from Hongkong or mainland China.

The transformer I received has 5 wires like Poultrygeist, but different colors. Wires 4 & 5 are thicker gauge (both black) than 1,2, & 3.  I imagine the color does not matter, as long as I follow the order of wires from Poulrtygeist's diagram, it will be correct. Wires 4 & 5 will connect to 4 & 5 of preamp board. What do you think Poultrygeist? Thanks!

I just (today) received the same transformer you have. The wiring is as follows: the two red wires that are alone are 120V primary input. On the secondary side (5 wires), the two thin red are 150V output, and the thin black wire between these two red is grd. . The thicker black wires are the 6.3V outputs.
Mine is playing right now for the first time, driving an un-modded blue board. It's my first foray into valves since I was a pup :lol: