ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

daz_bike

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1340 on: 8 Jan 2010, 03:10 am »
Got myself a pair of the Treasure tubes.  Brilliant sounding!!  Replaced Brimar black coated tubes (same as per the TNT article comparing the treasures to the black coated Brimars).  They were my little secret too until the Treasures have come along and displaced them.  Now with the EML and Treasures, I feel as though I have the best and no NOS issues to worry about going forward.

Bigfish

« Reply #1341 on: 8 Jan 2010, 03:16 am »
Now with the EML and Treasures, I feel as though I have the best and no NOS issues to worry about going forward.

:thumb:

Ken

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #1342 on: 11 Jan 2010, 01:59 pm »
Hello Philip,
              Now all I need is a transporter!  :)

Best,

George

Kurashima Triode Amp w/George Lenz designed 37/76 "transformer coupled" preamp featuring 274A EML meshplate rectifier

« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2010, 03:34 pm by valvesaglowin »

tdangelo

« Reply #1343 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:55 pm »
has anyone talked to Grant Fidelity and have an update on the shipping date?  Last I heard was mid January.

thanks

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1344 on: 11 Jan 2010, 03:30 pm »
has anyone talked to Grant Fidelity and have an update on the shipping date?  Last I heard was mid January.

thanks

That's what I heard as well.

Don't worry, shouldn't be much longer.

George

jriggy

« Reply #1345 on: 12 Jan 2010, 12:14 am »
Could someone confirm that I remember hearing/reading that the NOS TungSol Round Plates have an estimated 10,000 hour life span? Am I remembering right here?

browellm

« Reply #1346 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:46 am »
Deep joy.... :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1347 on: 12 Jan 2010, 12:39 pm »
Could someone confirm that I remember hearing/reading that the NOS TungSol Round Plates have an estimated 10,000 hour life span? Am I remembering right here?

Depends on many factors, so it is very hard to say definitively.  I don't believe Dan is running the tubes very hard, so tube life should be pretty good.

George

jriggy

« Reply #1348 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:34 pm »
Depends on many factors, so it is very hard to say definitively.  I don't believe Dan is running the tubes very hard, so tube life should be pretty good.

George
Thanks George,

I have no doubt that life span is fine and well worth it. I was getting at something here but wanted to get confirmation on what I thought I remembered hearing about the lifespan of the NOS TungSol's...

This quote from iGrant got me wondering.
"We don't know how long they will last in service, certain materials that made NOS last so long just aren't allowed to be used anymore, but we have zero reports of failures on them since we got our AT-1000 and could sort out the grading and reject the 'too far from spec' ones. We expect more than 5,000 hours, time will tell."

It seems to be the consensus so far that the Black Treasures sound better than the Round Plates but how much better? I know the 'how much better' outlook is subjective but if the TungSol's are very very good to begin with and last possibly twice as long at the same price, then one could look at it as the Black Treasures costing twice as much if one must purchase them more often.

This might seem like a odd thing to think about to some but Im looking at this from the perspective of people who buy ahead to secure their NOS or these new Black Treasures...

Jason

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1349 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:39 pm »
Thanks George,

I have no doubt that life span is fine and well worth it. I was getting at something here but wanted to get confirmation on what I thought I remembered hearing about the lifespan of the NOS TungSol's...

This quote from iGrant got me wondering.
"We don't know how long they will last in service, certain materials that made NOS last so long just aren't allowed to be used anymore, but we have zero reports of failures on them since we got our AT-1000 and could sort out the grading and reject the 'too far from spec' ones. We expect more than 5,000 hours, time will tell."

It seems to be the consensus so far that the Black Treasures sound better than the Round Plates but how much better? I know the 'how much better' outlook is subjective but if the TungSol's are very very good to begin with and last possibly twice as long at the same price, then one could look at it as the Black Treasures costing twice as much if one must purchase them more often.

This might seem like a odd thing to think about to some but Im looking at this from the perspective of people who buy ahead to secure their NOS or these new Black Treasures...

Jason

Jason,

Your logic makes good sense to me.

As I don't yet have a pair of Black Treasures, I can't say how they compare to the Round Plates (my fav 6SN7 by far).  Hopefully I will be able to say later this month.

George

jriggy

« Reply #1350 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:39 pm »
Jason,

Your logic makes good sense to me.

As I don't yet have a pair of Black Treasures, I can't say how they compare to the Round Plates (my fav 6SN7 by far).  Hopefully I will be able to say later this month.

George

I look forward to hearing what you and others think as more peeps try these new ones out... And being one that secured extra pairs of Rounds Plates from Greece, I am a little reluctant to ditch on my investment, sell my extras and jump on the Black Treasures just yet...

Jason

jriggy

« Reply #1351 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:44 pm »
Deep joy.... :thumb:

browellm,

Your EML is not chrome coated on the top like the others I have seen and like the one I have running... When did you get it?

Jason

browellm

« Reply #1352 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:57 pm »
Hi Jason

I'm UK based so I purchased from www.jacmusic.com, which is based in Germany ,it arrived today.

It's working fine in my setup so far, but I can post the specs from the side of the box if you like, to see if it's the same as the chrome-tops.

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #1353 on: 12 Jan 2010, 05:26 pm »
Hello Browellm,
                   The chrome top you see is the gettering(flashing).This flashing is due to the evacuation process that occurs during the final stage of tube manufacturing. The hoop that you see inside the bottle is called the "getter". Some tubes have their getter positioned on the top, and some have their getter positioned on the bottom. Also, some tubes have more than one getter inside the glass envelope. This should also be noted with regards to signal & output tubes. In the end, where the flashing is positioned is of no consequence.

Best,

George

browellm

« Reply #1354 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:05 pm »
Very informative, thanks George.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1355 on: 17 Jan 2010, 06:50 am »
If you've never seen how a tube is made (and even if you have) check out this video!.  It's 17 minutes, but is utterly fascinating. I think Shuguang and EML probably have things a bit more streamlined.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010, 07:06 pm by Marco Prozzo »

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1356 on: 17 Jan 2010, 07:05 pm »
Not to hijack this thread, but because there are so many MWTP owners reading this - I've asked what is probably a silly question in this new thread regarding the Amarra plug-in. 

Please don't post replies here - use the link an reply on the appropriate thread.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

scp2

« Reply #1357 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:37 pm »
I have a question. I am brand new to the world of tubes and the MWTP..so bear with me.

I just ordered my unit and am waiting for it...I am upgrading from a Bolder modded Duet.

After reading here it seems the tubes most people like are the EML and Black Treasure combo. Should I order and put these in my unit before I use it? It would be nice  to hear a big improvement over my Duet, and maximize my unit right from the start.

Also what does everyone think of the Grover Huffman balanced I/C  to start with?

Thanks to everyone with the info you have already shared...BTW you have and continue to cost me a lot of $$...but also provided me much enjoyment.

dminches

« Reply #1358 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:51 pm »
I would wait until the MWTP is broken in and you have a feel for its sound.  Otherwise you will not be able to form your own opinion on the different tubes.  The sound of a tube combination is not absolute.  Like anything else it is personal taste.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1359 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:32 pm »
BTW, Rachel from Grant Fidelity said that Shuguang Treasure 'Black Bottle' CV181-Z (6SN7GT) A stock tubes were being delivered and that they should start filling orders in the next few days.

Sounds like some of us will have some new tubes to play with next week.   :drool:

George