Schiit Loki, a Four Channel Tone Control

fredgarvin

Schiit Loki, a Four Channel Tone Control
« on: 24 Oct 2017, 05:04 pm »
An interesting new release for $149. There are already a lot of user reviews out there. Not intended for room eq of course, but i could see it handy in taming bad recordings. Apparently it is quite transparent in the signal chain and does include a switched bypass. One of my thoughts was that a 20hz control was too low to be useful but the head-fi video shows the Q to be very wide and effecting up to 100hz.

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=i6oyxHGJbsM

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Schiit Loki, a Four Channel Tone Control
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2017, 05:19 pm »
An surprising release, a standalone eq unit due various extra RCA connectors and interconnectors cables may have some drawbacks but as built-in inside a HP amp it may be useful.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2017, 09:31 pm »
Four-band would be a more accurate summation I think.

Looks lie it's 'a la carte'. I've seen only one HP amp with built in tone control (a treble control to fine tune HF balance).

Interesting concept... but WTF is a 'gyrator'?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2017, 09:50 pm »
Does maybe this video guy have tachylalia?
He speaks so fast that I failed to understand any.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2017, 12:57 am »
Either he was a accommodating an expected short attention span or he had just chugged an espresso.

At any rate, looks interesting and could be useful for analog sources or non-fans of Digital EQ
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2017, 02:21 am by dB Cooper »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2017, 12:59 am »
Very interesting product and definitely Cheap&Cheerful.  I suppose you could take a frequency sweep and see if you need it.  Or just try it out, for the price you can't get hurt.  Good find.

*Scotty*

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:28 am »

jk@home

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2017, 02:08 am »
I wonder how this thing would work as a loudness control. Set it up for low late night listening, and any other time switch it in bypass.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2017, 02:25 am »
Probably fairly well. But then I guessed wrong about what a gyrator was  :icon_twisted:

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2017, 02:27 am »

jk@home

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:39 pm »
Probably fairly well. But then I guessed wrong about what a gyrator was  :icon_twisted:

I ordered one to find out.

fredgarvin

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:29 pm »

I'm thinking about it but I'm not a headphone guy, where I think it would shine. Perhaps when I play vinyl. I used to use an 8" sub with my LP's but now with the Quartets I don't but a little eq underneath would get the response closer to CD level. There are a few rock CD's I have that sound nasty and could use a cut at 2000hz and maybe a boost at 400 to make up for the crappy mastering.

I'm talking myself into it.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:39 pm »
I think it would be useful as described in your OP for taming so-so recordings (although recordings with really bad sound balance problems usually have other problems as well that EQ won't fix) or broad adjustments like lifting the 'Sennheiser veil' (where are you, Guy13?) or backing off a tipped-up HF range.

jk@home

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2017, 07:09 pm »
I'm thinking about it but I'm not a headphone guy, where I think it would shine. Perhaps when I play vinyl. I used to use an 8" sub with my LP's but now with the Quartets I don't but a little eq underneath would get the response closer to CD level. There are a few rock CD's I have that sound nasty and could use a cut at 2000hz and maybe a boost at 400 to make up for the crappy mastering.

I'm talking myself into it.

I actually have a MiniDSP upstream (NanoDIGI), running it flat now due to the fact that I'm breaking in some new mAMPs. But when I do reset it up, it's a big deal to go through all the motions (cables, PC, REW, etc.) Definitely a set and forget job.

The Loki will be for quick tweaking.

restrav

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2017, 07:55 pm »
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2017, 01:25 pm by Dadbeh »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2017, 04:44 pm »
Four-band would be a more accurate summation I think.

Looks lie it's 'a la carte'. I've seen only one HP amp with built in tone control (a treble control to fine tune HF balance).

Interesting concept... but WTF is a 'gyrator'?
There is a interesting topic about Gyrator here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/313861-gyrator-ccs.html?s=bfeb33b0b04005ce887ed7364ca13466

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:52 am »
Over my head! I vaguely understand but I'm no EE. Thanks though.

jk@home

« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2017, 11:09 pm »

Got the Schiit tonight. West to East coast in two days, not bad USPS. Fits right in with my other mini components. I think it will do what I want. To Dadbeh, this thing could help out with internet radio, etc. My main source on this system is Spotify premium, I have some favorite tracks that use drum machines, or whatever that are downright painful on the ears, tried a couple tracks and it did tone them down.

Two complaints. One I had read in the reviews, is the knob/center detente marks are slightly off. Not a biggie. The second  is the power light is WAY too bright, so will have to mod it with some tape and a hole punch.

fredgarvin

« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2017, 01:58 am »

Got the Schiit tonight. West to East coast in two days, not bad USPS. Fits right in with my other mini components. I think it will do what I want. To Dadbeh, this thing could help out with internet radio, etc. My main source on this system is Spotify premium, I have some favorite tracks that use drum machines, or whatever that are downright painful on the ears, tried a couple tracks and it did tone them down.

Two complaints. One I had read in the reviews, is the knob/center detente marks are slightly off. Not a biggie. The second  is the power light is WAY too bright, so will have to mod it with some tape and a hole punch.

Nice, keep us posted. My defense is starting to crack.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2017, 02:25 am »
That is a great rack, real wood, will last forever.