MUSE X5 HiFi PCM2704 DAC for $13, anyone use it?

wushuliu

Re: MUSE X5 HiFi PCM2704 DAC for $13, anyone use it?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2018, 04:59 pm »
i got my Signstek, Wushu, would you please be kind enough to detail the mods that you did?
did you try any planar headphones with it? can it drive them to loud levels?

I replaced the output caps with Silmic IIs, the resistors with PRPs and the other electrolytics with low esr equivalents I had lying around.

Good question about the gain, I don't think I addressed that. There's less gain with this dac, so you may need a headamp as well (which I prefer to use regardless).

It's a great dac to practice diy skills since it's so inexpensive.

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2018, 05:01 pm »
OK, cool.
So no Audiophile Optimizer?
I haven't tried fidelizer, I have licenses for jplay and AO I think.

Missed your post Randy. Probably too late, but no AO for me. I also use my PC for normal use, so no dedicated setups for me... Fidelizer is pretty great though.

restrav

« Reply #42 on: 7 Feb 2018, 05:12 pm »
I replaced the output caps with Silmic IIs, the resistors with PRPs and the other electrolytics with low esr equivalents I had lying around.

Good question about the gain, I don't think I addressed that. There's less gain with this dac, so you may need a headamp as well (which I prefer to use regardless).

It's a great dac to practice diy skills since it's so inexpensive.

did the mods make a marked improvement?

wushuliu

« Reply #43 on: 7 Feb 2018, 05:22 pm »
did the mods make a marked improvement?

Is it worth the effort to buy all the caps and resistors, etc? Hard for me to say. If you aren't into investing in diy, then, no not worth it. Especially if you are just using headphones. Differences were more apparent through my speakers.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #44 on: 8 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm »
So how does this one compare to your highly recommended -

"I may flesh out this post later, but anyone with a coax input DAC needs to check this out, like NOW

F-1 XMOS USB Digital Interface Module XU208 U8 upgraded version - $180"

I have an F-1 XU208 also and it is the real deal for sure. A friend of mine here on AC didn't like it in his system, he said it sounded like glass shattering in the highs? I didn't get that at all. Just goes to show it's good to get several opinions on these devices. I will be interested what others have to say about this new dac find.

restrav

« Reply #45 on: 12 Feb 2018, 01:45 am »
I like the signnstek enough that i decided to buy a headphone amplifier and use this as the source for it.
i bidding on some SS amps online and if none works out ill just build a crack.

//////////////

offtopic: could someone send me an invitation to SBAF please? there are some amps in the for sale section that im interested in.

hifix

« Reply #46 on: 12 Mar 2019, 05:07 pm »
*Thank you Lacro for the heads up with the build and cap choice*

I've finished tweaking the USB DAC.  With added inspiration from wushulius and the amazon (jayteck) build, i've done a mix and match.
Using Elna Silmic II (output filter & pin#18) , Nichicon FG (supply) and PRP resistors.

The USB DAC is connected to a raspberry pi 3b with a 40cm Cat6a (SSTP) DIY usb cable.

With a few hours into it.  The quality of sound was a pleasant surprise.  And this is with wall wart attached to it. 

A linear supply is en route and I'll post more when the whole lot comes together.

Update... the linear supply has arrived (using a generic IEC cable and a brass mains plug) its provided a welcome improvement in balance to the sound.

I will have a go at powering the DAC directly from the power supply, side stepping USB power.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2019, 08:21 pm by hifix »

wushuliu

« Reply #47 on: 5 Apr 2019, 06:44 pm »
*Thank you Lacro for the heads up with the build and cap choice*

I've finished tweaking the USB DAC.  With added inspiration from wushulius and the amazon (jayteck) build, i've done a mix and match.
Using Elna Silmic II (output filter & pin#18) , Nichicon FG (supply) and PRP resistors.

The USB DAC is connected to a raspberry pi 3b with a 40cm Cat6a (SSTP) DIY usb cable.

With a few hours into it.  The quality of sound was a pleasant surprise.  And this is with wall wart attached to it. 

A linear supply is en route and I'll post more when the whole lot comes together.

Update... the linear supply has arrived (using a generic IEC cable and a brass mains plug) its provided a welcome improvement in balance to the sound.

I will have a go at powering the DAC directly from the power supply, side stepping USB power.

Missed this post - glad to hear you're enjoying it!