Input select module

Beano

Input select module
« on: 19 Feb 2015, 08:09 pm »
There is a input select module that provides for 3 sources. If I only have one source CD player and would like to have the tube preamp and mosfet amp capability, can I choose not to select the input select module?Does the base configuration come with a single pair of input jacks?

Vinnie R.

Re: Input select module
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2015, 09:10 pm »
There is a input select module that provides for 3 sources. If I only have one source CD player and would like to have the tube preamp and mosfet amp capability, can I choose not to select the input select module?Does the base configuration come with a single pair of input jacks?

Hi Beano,

If you want to feed a line-level analog input to the LIO, you need the LIO INPUT SELECT module (even if you only plan to use one of the three sets of inputs).  In other words, there is no module with only one set of analog inputs.

There will be an updating LIO INPUTS (and OUTPUTS) module with balanced XLR Inputs / Outputs.  Coming this Spring...

Also - for clarification to everyone:

- If you were only going to connect to the LIO digitally (feeding into the LIO's DSD/PCM DAC), then you would not need the INPUT SELECT module.

- And if you are going to feed the output of your MM or MC cartridge to LIO, you need the LIO PHONOSTAGE.  If you are using your own phonostage, then you would feed the output of that phonostage to LIO INPUT SELECT (as the output of your phonostage is a "line level" analog signal).

- If you are using your own dac, you would feed the output of that dac to LIO INPUT SELECT (as the output of your dac is a "line level" analog signal).

- You might not need LIO INPUT SELECT now - so don't buy it.  But if you later need it, you can buy it and install it at any time.  There is no price benefit or penalty for buying sooner or later (except for a small amount of shipping cost to later ship the module).

- Even if you have a phonostage or dac that you enjoy, I encourage you to try LIO DAC and PHONOSTAGE module if funds permit.  Why?  Because then you can easily compare them to what you already have.  If you don't believe LIO's modules are better sounding, you can simply return the modules that you do not wish to keep.  I believe that many of you will be very pleasantly surprised how just how good the LIO DAC and PHONOSTAGE are - especially running off the grid from LIO's ultracap supply.  8)   

The same goes for the other LIO modules (e.g. compare the LIO MOSFET amp to the amp you are using.  You might think that on paper LIO's amp is not powerful enough, but you might actually find that it does a great job driving your speakers and you never needed a 200wpc amp to begin with, and you like the way the LIO's amp sounds better... especially at lower listening levels.).

When you add more LIO modules to your LIO, you really begin to save (compared to buying separate components), you simplify your system, you get rid of interconnects, AC power supplies, conditioners, etc.  All the LIO modules run isolated from the grid.  Signal paths get much smaller (a few inches vs. feet of cables). 

Thanks for your post,

Vinnie

srb

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2015, 09:31 pm »
Is there some kind of front panel display indication to see either which digital input or which analog input on the LIO Input Select module has been selected?

With the LIO Input Select module is there a way to configure an input for preset volume or unity gain for Home Theater bypass?

Steve

brh

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2015, 09:39 pm »
[...] you might actually find that it does a great job driving your speakers and you never needed a 200wpc amp to begin with, and you like the way the LIO's amp sounds better... especially at lower listening levels.).

Curious about this statement - do you just mean better at lower levels because of the pure DC increasing SNR, or is there some other reason you think the amp might outshine others at low levels? Just curious since this will be a nearfield amp for now, but of course I'm already spoiled with an off-the-grid amp ;)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2015, 10:28 pm »
Is there some kind of front panel display indication to see either which digital input or which analog input on the LIO Input Select module has been selected?

Hi Steve,

I need to upload the Owner's Manual to the website, as it will make things a lot more clear.  But for now:

As you rotate the SOURCE knob (or use the SOURCE buttons on the LIO remote handset), the front panel display changes like this:

A_1   (Analog Input 1)
A_2   (Analog Input 2)
A_3   (Analog Input 3)
P_1   (MM phonostage input 1)
P_2   (MC phonostage input 2, load setting A )
P_2*  (MC phonostage input 2, load setting B)
P_3   (MC phonostage input 3, load setting A)
P_3*  (MC phonostage input 3, load setting B)
d_1   (Toslink optical S/PDIF input to DAC)
d_2   (Coaxial S/PDIF input to DAC)
d_3   (USB input to DAC)

If you don't have the INPUT SELECT board installed, you will NOT see the A_1, A_2, A_3 options on the front panel.  The same is true
if you don't have the DAC or PHONOSTAGE modules installed.  Once you install them and power ON, LIO "sees" them and configures itself
so you can select them.

I have to give full credit to John Chapman (Bent Audio) for implementing the amazing user interface of LIO.  I've shot many ideas his way, and
he really pulled it off and had plenty of his own.  It's really slick!

With the LIO Input Select module is there a way to configure an input for preset volume or unity gain for Home Theater bypass?

If you want to feed one of the inputs back out of the LIO, simply use the FIXED output jacks on the LIO OUTPUTs module (every LIO gets a LIO OUTPUTS module).  For example, if you have a CD player connected to one of the analog inputs of the INPUT SELECT module, you can also feed that same signal back out of the LIO via the FIXED output jacks (no volume control in the path when you use FIXED). 

Is this what you are asking?  If I missed the point, please let me know.  :duh:

Curious about this statement - do you just mean better at lower levels because of the pure DC increasing SNR, or is there some other reason you think the amp might outshine others at low levels? Just curious since this will be a nearfield amp for now, but of course I'm already spoiled with an off-the-grid amp

Hi brh,

I was making a biased generalization - really just my opinion from a lot of listening to different amp topologies, and amplifiers of low, medium, and high power.  Only the listener can confirm this for themselves, but my finding is that with a reallygood lower power output stage circuit, as the LIO uses (not very low power like SET, but not a > 100wpc design either), there are far fewer parts in the signal path.  We don't need to make a ton of power, so we are not using as much "stuff."  It's short-n'-sweet, and this design really shines as lower volume level listening.  Sure - the low noise floor also helps a lot.  The power supply design is also critical (as it always is!).   

This is why I say:

you might actually find that it does a great job driving your speakers and you never needed a 200wpc amp to begin with, and you like the way the LIO's amp sounds better... especially at lower listening levels.).

Depending on your speakers, your room, how loud you like to play, the types of music, etc. - you may find my statement above to be very true, or very false.  But if you do find it to be false for your situation, you can easily return the module and stick with your higher powered amplifier driving by the LIO (LIO would be a preamp, with possible sources like dac, phonostage, etc.) in that case.  But you should TRY, TRY, TRY and listen, listen, listen.  :singing:

I'm really hoping that LIO makes it easy and FUN to try new things.  New modules, new topologies, wireless (we'll get there with a high res streaming module  :shh:), Autoformer volume control, remote cartridge loading, tubes, bluetooth remote, etc.  The beauty is that you can try it all, or none of it. You can try now, you can try later. 

You can make LIO just a dac (with or without tube output stage), just a phonostage (with or without tube output stage), just a preamp (with RVC, AVC, Tubestage), just a power amp, just a headphone amp, or any custom version of a preamp with options, integrated amp with options, etc.  It was designed from the ground up for this sort of thing, along with total isolation from the grid for all its modules, and these are the two main attributes that I am most excited about and why I believe it is the only product of its kind! 

There is SO MUCH MORE that is going to come out of this over the months and years.  I started RWA in 2005 and have learned A TON since then, and all of that learning and feedback from our customers has essentially evolved into... LIO.  :idea:

Vinnie

srb

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2015, 11:40 pm »
If you want to feed one of the inputs back out of the LIO, simply use the FIXED output jacks on the LIO OUTPUTs module (every LIO gets a LIO OUTPUTS module).  For example, if you have a CD player connected to one of the analog inputs of the INPUT SELECT module, you can also feed that same signal back out of the LIO via the FIXED output jacks (no volume control in the path when you use FIXED). 

Is this what you are asking?  If I missed the point, please let me know.  :duh:

No, the idea is that in a combination 2 channel stereo / multichannel HT system, the stereo amplifier is used to power the front L & R speakers of the HT system while the AV receiver's amplifiers power the center and surround speakers.

When playing stereo sources, the stereo sources are connected directly to the stereo amplifier and the AV receiver is not in the loop.  When listening to HT, the AV receiver's front L & R preamp outputs are connected to HT inputs on the stereo amp.  These unity gain inputs bypass the volume control and any additional preamplifier gain and allow the receiver to control the volume, whether using the internal amplifier of the integrated, or just as a stereo preamp if an external stereo power amplifier is used.

Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2015, 12:39 am »
No, the idea is that in a combination 2 channel stereo / multichannel HT system, the stereo amplifier is used to power the front L & R speakers of the HT system while the AV receiver's amplifiers power the center and surround speakers.

When playing stereo sources, the stereo sources are connected directly to the stereo amplifier and the AV receiver is not in the loop.  When listening to HT, the AV receiver's front L & R preamp outputs are connected to HT inputs on the stereo amp.  These unity gain inputs bypass the volume control and any additional preamplifier gain and allow the receiver to control the volume, whether using the internal amplifier of the integrated, or just as a stereo preamp if an external stereo power amplifier is used.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Ok - so one way is that if you set LIO RVC to max ("63"), it essentially bypasses the volume.  So you could feed your HT preamp to one of the inputs, and when you use it, max out the volume on LIO and control with your HT preamp's volume.

When you switch to another input ("normal"  :wink: music listening from a different source), the volume starts at mute and you and raise it up and down to your liking.

If you wanted a direct input to the amp stage only, without anything else in the path, then that would be a custom input that would have to be added to the amp module's rear panel and would give a direct connection (no input select, no volume, no tubestage, no nothin' but 'direct connection to amp').  But would you need that, or would what I mention above (setting volume to max to bypass it) do the trick?

Oh you HT guys - always trying to mix your music and movies!  :roll:  :lol:   That's like mixing Chinese and Italian food - they can both be very delicious, but at the same time???  j/k   :icon_lol:

Beano

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2015, 02:15 pm »
Thanks for your prompt explanations, Vinnie :thumb:  If we have multiple modules, would we be able to select or disable certain modules via the selection controls or do we need to physically remove modules?  For example if I have the input module, preamp tube rvc module and the mosfet amp module but I want to use my own external poweramps with just the tube preamp RVC during a listening session, is there a selector to use only the LIO as a preamp or do I need to pull out the mosfet module. And alternatively can I use the  mosfet amp module as a power amp if I want to use an external preamp. If yes, how does the tube and rvc module get disabled?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:54 pm »
Thanks for your prompt explanations, Vinnie :thumb:  If we have multiple modules, would we be able to select or disable certain modules via the selection controls or do we need to physically remove modules?  For example if I have the input module, preamp tube rvc module and the mosfet amp module but I want to use my own external poweramps with just the tube preamp RVC during a listening session, is there a selector to use only the LIO as a preamp or do I need to pull out the mosfet module. And alternatively can I use the  mosfet amp module as a power amp if I want to use an external preamp. If yes, how does the tube and rvc module get disabled?

Hi Beano,

There is a button on the front panel called "AMP" (under the "POWER" button) that is just used for turning ON/OFF the speaker amp stage (if you order that module).  This is really nice to have for when you are listening to headphones and also have speakers connected.  Or when you want to use your LIO as a preamp into a different power amp of your choice. 

If you want to use the LIO strictly as a power amp (no input select, no volume, no tubestage), you have to remove those modules and use a little jumper board that bypasses them.  This cannot be done via the front panel or remote, but it CAN be done.

Vinnie

denjo

Clarification on source select , electricity consumption
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2016, 03:43 am »
As you rotate the SOURCE knob (or use the SOURCE buttons on the LIO remote handset), the front panel display changes like this:

A_1   (Analog Input 1)
A_2   (Analog Input 2)
A_3   (Analog Input 3)
P_1   (MM phonostage input 1)
P_2   (MC phonostage input 2, load setting A )
P_2*  (MC phonostage input 2, load setting B)
P_3   (MC phonostage input 3, load setting A)
P_3*  (MC phonostage input 3, load setting B)
d_1   (Toslink optical S/PDIF input to DAC)
d_2   (Coaxial S/PDIF input to DAC)
d_3   (USB input to DAC)

If you don't have the INPUT SELECT board installed, you will NOT see the A_1, A_2, A_3 options on the front panel.  The same is true
if you don't have the DAC or PHONOSTAGE modules installed.  Once you install them and power ON, LIO "sees" them and configures itself
so you can select them.

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie

Kindly allow me to ask a few questions about source selection and volume control:

Assuming I have the LIO (with phono, analog inputs, DAC), here are my questions:

1. Do I have to cycle through the entire input menu to select the input I want? Can the LIO be configured to start with a programmed input whenever the amp is switched on?

2. Does the volume for the selected input ramp down to '0' each time a source is selected or does the LIO 'memorise' the last volume setting for each input?

3. What is the electricity consumption when the amp is running and the cells are charging?

4. What is the electricity consumption when the LIO is on standby?

Many thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to answer my queries!

Best Regards
Dennis

Vinnie R.

Re: Clarification on source select , electricity consumption
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:23 pm »
Hi Vinnie

Kindly allow me to ask a few questions about source selection and volume control:

Assuming I have the LIO (with phono, analog inputs, DAC), here are my questions:

1. Do I have to cycle through the entire input menu to select the input I want? Can the LIO be configured to start with a programmed input whenever the amp is switched on?

2. Does the volume for the selected input ramp down to '0' each time a source is selected or does the LIO 'memorise' the last volume setting for each input?

3. What is the electricity consumption when the amp is running and the cells are charging?

4. What is the electricity consumption when the LIO is on standby?

Many thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to answer my queries!

Best Regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

1) It will start with the last input that you had selected when you turn it OFF and then back ON again (as long as you don't remove the power supply feed to the LIO).

2) I believe it goes to "0" when you change from digital inputs / line inputs / phono inputs. 

3) Approx. 60W

4) Less than 5W

Best regards,

Vinnie