3D Veracity HT1's

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
3D Veracity HT1's
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2005, 05:00 am »
Is there anything out there that looks like abalone pearl?

jsalk

3D Veracity HT1's
« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2005, 04:30 pm »
marvda1 -

Quote from: marvda1

Not that I am aware of.  I assume you are talking about grey with some green in areas.  If so, there might be a way of simulating something somewhat similar.  

There is a technique used by guitar makers where they spray a dark dye and then sand it off.  In the grain areas where the wood is soft, the dye penetrates to a greater depth.  So when they sand it off, they remove the dye from the grain areas with harder wood, but it remains in the areas with softer wood.  They then dye with a second color over the entire surface.

Since the dyes are translucent, you see right through the top layer of dye to the original color (where it remains) as well as the underlying grain/figuring in the wood.

An example of this is spraying and sanding black followed by a second coat of blue.  The result is a very rich, dark blue with blue highlights on a dark blue (black) field.  Very nice looking.

By experimenting with a combination of green and grey, you may be able to roughly simulate abalone.

Just a thought...

- Jim

stryder

3D Veracity HT1's
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2006, 01:27 am »
Quote from: marvda1

In a great read at another forum found here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453571&page=1&pp=60&highlight=salk
CaptainKellog had some fun with Photoshop:

Now, I could imagine tweaking that so it looks like abalone.  Now Jim, you said you probably duplicate his photos in real MDF, veneer and paint.  :mrgreen:

My favorite, until recently, was also one of your earliest published works (Ropey Cherry finish with the Claro Walnut baffle) you did for randybes -- until, your latest work using analine dyes:  your Curly Maple and Tamo Ash projects are just beautiful!

[Edit]  Thanks, Cap'n for your permission...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
3D Veracity HT1's
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2006, 01:37 am »
Those look pretty sweet!   :mrgreen:

At this point I believe Jim could create just about anything and it would look awesome.

George

stryder

3D Veracity HT1's
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2006, 01:43 am »
Quote from: zybar
Those look pretty sweet!   :mrgreen:

At this point I believe Jim could create just about anything and it would look awesome.

George

I am dreaming of a Yellow 'Vette Z06, and maybe soemthing like this tucked inside:

:P

HT:  CaptainKellog