Salk speaker idea ...

ekovalsky

Salk speaker idea ...
« on: 31 Oct 2005, 06:12 am »
New speaker, single tall cabinet, derived from a stacked pair of HT3 with the top speaker inverted, making a WMTMW configuration about 78-80" tall.  Think along the likes of the Rockport Hyperion, Kharma Grand Exquisite Reference, or VMPS RM40 :wink:

The goals a design like this would have would be to heighten the image, increase overall sensitivity, and require less padding of the ribbon tweeter.  I would think one ribbon tweeter would suffice.

Here's my photoshop hack job.  Sorry for the poor quality  :oops:   Any thoughts ?

Bingenito

Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2005, 11:13 am »
Not bad work in PhotoShop :lol:

I would taper the top corners and make the cabinet 3 stackable components (2 woofer modules and 1 MTM) for easy shipping. Also we do not want Jim hurting his back building the speakers!

The solid wood baffle would need some re-work because it looks out of place in the middle...maybe if it had the same tapered corners it would look better.

I would buy a pair :wink:

Gordy

Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2005, 01:27 pm »
The wood baffle would work nicely if made with a herring bone grained wood, giving it that classic Victorian look  :wink:  Perhaps the Blue Circle Purse 'n Shoes amps would work with the look as well?  Just joshin'  :lol:

I really like the idea of raised sensitivity and the resulting lessened padding of the ribbons!  Way beyond my wherewithal though  :(

ekovalsky

Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2005, 05:41 pm »
Quote from: Bingenito
Not bad work in PhotoShop :lol:

I would taper the top corners and make the cabinet 3 stackable components (2 woofer modules and 1 MTM) for easy shipping. Also we do not want Jim hurting his back building the speakers!

I would buy a pair :wink:

Exactly what I was thinking, but didn't have the time to do it in Photoshop.  Wire connections become a little more of an issue in a multidriver cabinet, but I've seen Jim build at least one pair where the wires from the speaker emerged through a slit and were then secured directly to the binding post -- this would be an elegant solution to a multi-piece stack -- the top and middle modules would have "tails" of appropriate length that would attach to multiple sets of binding posts mounted on the bottom module.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2005, 06:08 pm »
C'mon Eric, sell those Alons and commision Jim to build you a pair.   :o

George

Marbles

Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2005, 06:10 pm »
Hell, Eric's loaded..he can keep the Alon's and then A/B them to the Salks  :mrgreen:

ekovalsky

Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2005, 06:15 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Hell, Eric's loaded..he can keep the Alon's and then A/B them to the Salks  :mrgreen:

Can you say DIVORCE  :nono:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2005, 07:21 pm »
Quote from: ekovalsky
Can you say DIVORCE  :nono:

Now that would make it one hell of an expensive pair of speakers!!

George

Bingenito

Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2005, 12:18 am »
Look on the bright side...If you get divorced you will be the only guy in the world with 1 Alon and 1 Super Salk HT(X) since your wife will own the other 2 :lol:

ekovalsky

Salk speaker idea ...
« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2005, 06:01 am »
Quote from: Bingenito
Look on the bright side...If you get divorced you will be the only guy in the world with 1 Alon and 1 Super Salk HT(X) since your wife will own the other 2 :lol:

No, I'd keep all the speakers.  She would take everything else!

If only I were single and had mo money -- recently saw a pair of M-L Statement E2 at a very attractive price.  Also there is a Genesis 350SE on Audiogon now at firesale pricing.