• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Toronto Audio Show 2017 (TAVES)
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2017, 12:15 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Demo … TAVES 2017 … UHF Magazine

October 2017

Bryston's push for active speakers

The original Bryston Model T speaker (the biggest one) was a passive loudspeaker, like most speakers. That is to say, it had an internal crossover network made up of capacitors and other parts.

You can still get it that way. But at recent shows, including TAVES in Toronto last weekend, Bryston was showing an active version, one with an amplifier channel for each driver or driver group. With an electronic crossover replacing the passive one.

Now, Bryston is an amplifier manufacturer, and the cynics will say that this is a plot to sell more amps. In fact, active speakers do offer a real advantage. To make active speakers easier to implement, Bryston makes the 21B amplifier, shown here, with three channels. Two of them can drive a pair of active Model T's.  And the six-channel 24B can do the job all by itself.

We have to say that the result was convincing, despite the rather poor rooms at the Toronto Congress Centre.

Particularly impressive was Jean Guillou's organ arrangement of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, a recording that is notorious for including a 32-foot (16 Hz) pipe.

Impressive!

Gerard Rejskind,
UHF Magazine. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 30 Oct 2017, 10:56 am »
HI

I heard the active Model T’s at TAVES with 3 channel 21B’s.

Outstanding!

Dwight Angus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2017, 01:14 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Active Model T Demo – TAVES 2017

TAVES Consumer Electronics Show 2017 Show
Report by George de Sa, NOVO Magazine

Bryston Limited

With a friendly greeting from Brian Russell, President of Bryston, I entered their room and found a chair beside James Tanner, VP Marketing & Sales.

James was demonstrating Bryston’s Active Speaker System, this year with something new, an all-new 3-channel amplifier, the 21B3. Since a Bryston Active speaker setup requires three amplified channels per side to drive it three-ways, the 21B3 fulfills this need with a single-chassis 3-channel form-factor.

There are two Bryston Active systems currently available – the Model-T and the Middle-T. The system playing was a Model-T Active system (a pair of crossover-less Model-T speakers with a Bryston BAX-1 DSP Active Crossover. The speakers were finished in an attractive expresso brown wood veneer.

With a Bryston BDP-3 digital player, BDA-3 DAC and BP26 preamp, this system delivered spectacular sound-staging and clarity; projecting images well above my head and with a level of immediacy and control that was mesmerizing!

Bryston was also showing off on static display, their new 24B3 amplifier ($9,000), with 6-channels of amplification. The 24B3 is meant to serve as a lower cost alternative for the 21B3 in the Bryston Active Speaker Systems, delivering the 3-channels of amplification per side at half the price of a 21B3.

There were two new active subwoofers also on display – the Model T 12” subwoofer, with 2 x 12” drivers and a 600 Watt amplifier and a Mini T subwoofer with twin 8” drivers and 600 Watts of power.

dznutz

« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2017, 05:37 am »
so will the 21B3 drive a pair of tri-wireable speakers better than a single 28B3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2017, 12:39 pm »
so will the 21B3 drive a pair of tri-wireable speakers better than a single 28B3?

Hi,

I think depending on how much power the woofers and midrange section of your speaker required would be the determining factor.  If your speaker has a very low impedance through the frequency range the 28B would be the better choice as it could deliver more current to that load.

If on the other hand your speaker is fairly benign through the frequency range and reasonably efficient then the 21B would be fine.

I am an advocate for more power to the speaker than less so I would choose one large amplifier driving a PASSIVE crossover rather than smaller amps tri-wired driving the passive crossover in a given speaker.

Now an Active system is a different matter altogether - an Active system like the Model T being driven by the 21B has huge performance benefits over the passive Model T being driven by the 28B.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2017, 10:16 pm »
That makes total sense James.

Would the same benefit apply to the Mini T - if there was an active version?

TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2017, 10:25 pm »
That makes total sense James.

Would the same benefit apply to the Mini T - if there was an active version?

TJ

Hi TJ

Yes for sure.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2017, 11:45 pm »
thanks JT.....any future plans for active Mini T?

OTM

« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2017, 01:01 am »
Don't have a mini-T now "but" interesting.

dznutz

« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2017, 03:35 am »
Hi,

I think depending on how much power the woofers and midrange section of your speaker required would be the determining factor.  If your speaker has a very low impedance through the frequency range the 28B would be the better choice as it could deliver more current to that load.

If on the other hand your speaker is fairly benign through the frequency range and reasonably efficient then the 21B would be fine.

I am an advocate for more power to the speaker than less so I would choose one large amplifier driving a PASSIVE crossover rather than smaller amps tri-wired driving the passive crossover in a given speaker.

Now an Active system is a different matter altogether - an Active system like the Model T being driven by the 21B has huge performance benefits over the passive Model T being driven by the 28B.

james

Thanks James,

They are a pair of MB2se's... I understand they are an easier 8 ohm load

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2017, 11:31 am »
thanks JT.....any future plans for active Mini T?

HI

Yes the Mini T is available in active as well.

james

jtinto

« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2017, 04:14 pm »
Now the upcoming 24B six-channel amp makes sense 8)

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2017, 08:26 pm »
HI

Yes the Mini T is available in active as well.

james

James

how much are the Mini T with BAX-1?

thanks,

al.

jtinto

« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2017, 08:33 pm »
James ... it would be cool to put half of a BAX into a 3-channel plate amp on the back of a Mini T ... plug and play

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2017, 09:47 pm »

James

how much are the Mini T with BAX-1?

thanks,

al.

The Mini T is $3700 list US and the BAX is $3495.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2017, 09:48 pm »
James ... it would be cool to put half of a BAX into a 3-channel plate amp on the back of a Mini T ... plug and play

I think it would be too heavy.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #36 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:21 am »
James, is it possible configure an existing passive Mini T into an active beast? somehow disengage the internal crossover...?  how would one go about implementing this feat? :scratch:

TJ-Sully

« Reply #37 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:36 am »
Thanks James,

They are a pair of MB2se's... I understand they are an easier 8 ohm load

Hi dz, my goodness...i can't imagine a better combination than 28B3's paired with MB2se's. what a match. i wouldn't think the 21B3 would compete, but i'll leave that for the experts.

would you be able to share a photo of the speakers? they sure look lovely.

cheers, tj.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 22 Nov 2017, 11:50 am »
James, is it possible configure an existing passive Mini T into an active beast? somehow disengage the internal crossover...?  how would one go about implementing this feat? :scratch:

No I am sorry that can not be done.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #39 on: 22 Nov 2017, 11:39 pm »
hi james. how about if the passive Mini's are sent back to Peterborough for an active tuneup?
c'est possible?

thanks, TJ