First reflection point in narrow room

slefley

First reflection point in narrow room
« on: 25 Sep 2017, 03:18 pm »
My dedicated listening room is only 11 feet wide and I read differing opinions on how to treat the first reflection point.  Some say full-range absorption while others suggest adding some diffusion to the absorber to effectively expand the dimension.  I'd appreciate your advice on using a 244 alone or adding a scatter plate for some diffusion.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
Re: First reflection point in narrow room
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2017, 03:20 pm »
It's mostly a matter of taste, but both full range absorption (244) and a mixture of absorption & diffusion (244 with Scatter Plate, or Alpha panel) will work very well. For me, reflection points are pretty much the only place in the room I want full-on absorption.  :thumb:

slefley

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2017, 04:02 pm »
Thank you.  I'll go with the 244 absorption only.

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2017, 08:28 am »
When I experimented I found in my room of 14' wide that both diffusers and panels with scatter plates placed on the side walls had a noticeable effect which I did not like - I assumed they were too close to me. I now use absorbent panels.

These days I have my gear on the side wall so I place the panels close to the speakers. One panel covers both first and second reflections. I find that 242 panels best because they start absorbing higher up the frequencies (compare test results on the GIK site). I also have them on the wooden feet, which again I found sounded better.

slefley

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm »
Thank you. Are the wood feet available commercially or did you make them?

Hipper

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2017, 02:10 pm »
GIK sell them:

http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/wooden-and-custom-metal-stands/

They only seem to be available in the UK as I only see the metal ones mentioned on the US site.