Center choices

tknx

Center choices
« on: 27 Dec 2016, 06:39 pm »
I've been running my Salk Veracity STs san center for a while now and am thinking about adding a center to try and anchor and bring out dialog

The problem? No room for it really (and pretty much forbidden by the wife).

So the only center that would work would be one that would go in the AV cabinet. I imagine this would play havoc with sound quality and I'd be better off not running anything. But I want to be sure.

If I purchased a single monitor of some sort and stuffed it in there - would that be a terrible idea? My AV cabinet is a Salamander SDAV6 if that matters.

jsalk

Re: Center choices
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2016, 07:08 pm »
What kind of dimensions would fit in the cabinet?

- Jim

tknx

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:37 pm »
What kind of dimensions would fit in the cabinet?

- Jim

Something a little wider than a standard stereo component - I need to measure exactly how much space is in there.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:51 pm »
Specifications:

Overall dimensions: 64”W x 26”H x 21.25”D (1625 x 667 x 540mm)
    Interior: includes three adjustable shelves
    Each Bay: 20.2”W x 18.25”H x 17”D (513 x 464 x 433mm)
    Capacities: TV’s up to 70”
    Top: 80 lbs. (36kg)
    Each interior shelf: 20 lbs. (9kg)

http://www.soundadvice.com/Salamander-Designs-SDAV66426-Medium-Walnut-with-Black-Glass-Sliding-Doors-P7042.aspx

tknx

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2016, 05:49 pm »
Jim, I am completely not concerned about your ability to build a great center channel that would fit and sound great normally.

What I am really concerned about is, if I stuff one in there, how would being stuffed in a cabinet affect the voicing and timber match of the speaker vs my free standing Veracity STs?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2016, 08:14 pm »
Jim, I am completely not concerned about your ability to build a great center channel that would fit and sound great normally.

What I am really concerned about is, if I stuff one in there, how would being stuffed in a cabinet affect the voicing and timber match of the speaker vs my free standing Veracity STs?

If you think about it, mounting a center channel flush in a cabinet increases the size of the front baffle to the size of the cabinet itself.  So, basically, all you have to do is create a version of the crossover for a very large front baffle.  Little, if any, baffle step compensation will be required because most frequencies would reflect off the enlarged front baffle.

- Jim